Daley or Belle

Status
Not open for further replies.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Starsdude said:
I tried this once before with no response. Can anyone who has seen Shawn Belle tell me how he compares with Trevor daley?

I would take Daley without a thought about it. Daley IMO is just more complete than Belle, IMO the only thing Belle has better than Daley is size, both are extremley fast skater, Daley I think has more breaking ability than Belle, Belle has more size but I like Daley more.

X-SHARKIE

Belles upside is pretty big, I mean how many 6-3 215 pound players can skate like that?

He's alot of fun to watch but I have to agree with moose, were he well take longer to make it to the NHL, he has some work to do, his upside is bigger then Trevors I think though.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
That's a pretty lofty, unsubstantiated, claim db23. That sort of thing really shouldn't be tolerated by the mods.

Anyhow...I would take Belle in a heartbeat over Daley. I think Belle is one of the greatly under-appreciated talents in junior hockey right now. The guy is built like a truck, skates like the wind, has good hockey skills....the only problem with him is that he doesn't have good hockey sense.

Belle has the potential to be one of the premier talents among defencemen in my opinion down the road if he can just get a good head put on top of his massive frame.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Matt MacInnis said:
That's a pretty lofty, unsubstantiated, claim db23. That sort of thing really shouldn't be tolerated by the mods.

Anyhow...I would take Belle in a heartbeat over Daley. I think Belle is one of the greatly under-appreciated talents in junior hockey right now. The guy is built like a truck, skates like the wind, has good hockey skills....the only problem with him is that he doesn't have good hockey sense.

Belle has the potential to be one of the premier talents among defencemen in my opinion down the road if he can just get a good head put on top of his massive frame.

Couple of questions...coming from someone who has never played hockey, what exactly is hockey sense? Is it like natural instincts for the game? Also, who would you compare Daley/Belle to, and what kind of points do you think they will put up in their promes?

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I think Belle has one of the biggest upsides in the entire hockey league if he can ever put it all together. Thing is, I don't think he will. Even if he becomes half of his upside he can be a great 3/4 d-man. But the sky really is his limit.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
a word of caution gang :

b) Any posts libeling players, prospects, or hockey personnel. It's not acceptable to post that you heard Player X has a drinking/drug/sex/personal problem/etc. from a "good" source. A link to a credible media source must be posted to support such claims.

speculation of steriod use is not allowed.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Reveille said:
I think Belle has one of the biggest upsides in the entire hockey league if he can ever put it all together. Thing is, I don't think he will. Even if he becomes half of his upside he can be a great 3/4 d-man. But the sky really is his limit.

I agree about Belle having one of the biggest upsides on defense, at that size with those raw skills and jets for skates how many d-men can optain all that, but the way he thinks the game out is beyond me, he has trouble understanding simple plays at times it seems like. Daley I just find a great talent with super skating as well and he is alot for aware on the ice and is much less raw. I just like Daley alot more.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
moosefan said:
I agree about Belle having one of the biggest upsides on defense, at that size with those raw skills and jets for skates how many d-men can optain all that, but the way he thinks the game out is beyond me, he has trouble understanding simple plays at times it seems like. Daley I just find a great talent with super skating as well and he is alot for aware on the ice and is much less raw. I just like Daley alot more.

Same exact opinion here. I'd take Daley over him, just because... well no offense to him, Belle just seems stupid on the ice.

Like he doesn't have a clue half the game. HOPEFULLY that can come to him, because damn. He has some skills, that boy.

Hopefully he isn't another Tom Poti.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Reveille said:
On that two number rating system I'd give:

Daley: 7 9
Belle: 9 4

What makes Daley's potential such a fair bit lower than Belle's highest possible upside? They both posses the same strenghts, only where Belle has more size, Daley has tons of more hockey sense. And so far, Daley's size has yet to become a problem. He either fights through it (he weighs over 205 pounds) or skates his way out of it. Daley could need some work on his defensive game perhaps, but that's a lot easier to learn than hockeysense which is nearly impossible to learn.

I'd rate them;

Trevor Daley ... 7.5 - 8.5
Shawn Belle .... 7.5 - 5.0

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Ott = Snott said:
What makes Daley's potential such a fair bit lower than Belle's highest possible upside? They both posses the same strenghts, only where Belle has more size, Daley has tons of more hockey sense. And so far, Daley's size has yet to become a problem. He either fights through it (he weighs over 205 pounds) or skates his way out of it. Daley could need some work on his defensive game perhaps, but that's a lot easier to learn than hockeysense which is nearly impossible to learn.

I'd rate them;

Trevor Daley ... 7.5 - 8.5
Shawn Belle .... 7.5 - 5.0

Belle has some of the slickest skills with a puck that I've seen on a d-man. Problem is he's very dumb in his own end and makes some reallll bonehead plays. He has some of the most natural talent I've seen.

Daley is a great, all around d-man. He'll be a solid guy. But his natural/raw skill is no where near Belle's IMO. But he's also a much safer bet.

Belle has the potential, IMO, to be one of the best defenseman in the league if he can put it all together. Daley has the potential to be a good #2/3/4 when all is said and done. I don't think he'll be a #2 (that's more of his highest top end) but we'll see.

With Belle, he can become anything he wants to be. THe sky is the limit.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Reveille said:
Belle has some of the slickest skills with a puck that I've seen on a d-man. Problem is he's very dumb in his own end and makes some reallll bonehead plays. He has some of the most natural talent I've seen.

Daley is a great, all around d-man. He'll be a solid guy. But his natural/raw skill is no where near Belle's IMO. But he's also a much safer bet.

Belle has the potential, IMO, to be one of the best defenseman in the league if he can put it all together. Daley has the potential to be a good #2/3/4 when all is said and done. I don't think he'll be a #2 (that's more of his highest top end) but we'll see.

With Belle, he can become anything he wants to be. THe sky is the limit.

Fair enough.. You've seen them play more than I have..

Has Belle shown any signs of improvement regarding his hockey sense though? And what are the chances of him ever getting some?

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Ott = Snott said:
Fair enough.. You've seen them play more than I have..

Has Belle shown any signs of improvement regarding his hockey sense though? And what are the chances of him ever getting some?

I don't think he's shown much improvement in juniors, really. I'd say a slight one, I guess. He made a few less errors this year and seemed to be able to read the plays a bit better. Nothing drastic, though.

I'd say if they have a great coach in the AHL (I'm not familiar with the Utah system that much coaching-wise), than he can be helped. But they better be ready for a big, long project with him. But he has some damn fine potential. All the luck to him, and I hope there is a chance!

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Reveille said:
I don't think he's shown much improvement in juniors, really. I'd say a slight one, I guess. He made a few less errors this year and seemed to be able to read the plays a bit better. Nothing drastic, though.

I'd say if they have a great coach in the AHL (I'm not familiar with the Utah system that much coaching-wise), than he can be helped. But they better be ready for a big, long project with him. But he has some damn fine potential. All the luck to him, and I hope there is a chance!

Well, no more Utah for him. The Stars now share their affiliate with the Montreal Canadiens, no idea about their management though.

Thanks a bunch though, Reveille.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Ott = Snott said:
Well, no more Utah for him. The Stars now share their affiliate with the Montreal Canadiens, no idea about their management though.

Thanks a bunch though, Reveille.

Really? I didn't know that.

Thanks for telling me or I would've never guessed. :)

And no problem. I like Belle. He has great skills and I think you guys got a great player for Cash (who can also be a great player - even if I like Belle more than him).

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
Shawn Belle was taken in by the public eye at a younger age and was scouted and regarded as an NHL prospect earlier than Daley was because he was 6"2, 6"3 not 5"11 like Daley was playing in the OHL.

If you watched Daley play in the OHL like I had the opportunity to he was lighting. He could take the puck end up to and hold his own physically. He would even fight if necessary. His problem when he was in his underage year was attitude. He worked on it and it seems in the right place now. Daleys a cocky/confident player, like a robbie Schremp. To me that just means he wants it really bad. He never should have been a World Junior Cut in 2003 but many felt it was because at the u17 for ontario his attitude was a problem and hockey canada didn't think he'd fit in.

He is a sick talent and IMO will become a top 3 D man and will get alot of points.

Shawn Belle is a mystery to me. He wins the Defenceman of the tourney at the U-18 hockey championships last year and is 6"3 215 and can skate like the wind and he is not higher rated. BUT if you watch closely he just doesn't have the mind for the game. At the NHL level you need that mind for the game. On skills alone he can play in the show. If he doesnt learn the game more and his decisions are still made like they are today... I do go with Daley hands down.

just my two cents worth

:banana:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad