Daley and Ericsson will not return next season

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Hronek, Dekeyser (if healthy), Nemeth, Biega, Staal. Even if Bowey returns, Seider cuts his teeth, and Cholowski moonlights...

...it feels like the Wings absolutely have to add at least one more legitimate NHL defender to the mix.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
This day keeps getting better and better.

I've always been tough on Ericsson. That being said, I still appreciate everything he has done for the organization and I'm glad that we still got 10 or 11 seasons out of him. He was the last pick of the draft after all.

Trevor Daley is one of my least favorite players to play for us in the post-lockout era (2006). That guy never gave a **** out there and then had the audacity to ask to be traded to a contender after a terrible season. Gtfo of here.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
This day keeps getting better and better.

I've always been tough on Ericsson. That being said, I still appreciate everything he has done for the organization and I'm glad that we still got 10 or 11 seasons out of him. He was the last pick of the draft after all.

Trevor Daley is one of my least favorite players to play for us in the post-lockout era (2006). That guy never gave a **** out there and then had the audacity to ask to be traded to a contender after a terrible season. Gtfo of here.

Big E was picked in the '02 draft, that was an eternity ago. A week after the HOF Cup win.

I could've sworn Daley asked to Not be traded @TDL.

Does anyone else recall?

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Glad Big E is getting love. I feel like a lot of you guys were harsh on him towards the end, but it was unjustified considering he was just playing the game he loves and where Babcock/Blash put him in the lineup.

Anyways, the team is pretty much a new face with the exceptions of a couple lingering problems. Abdelkader (eww) and Helm, etc.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Cool. but this was already confirmed. I remember last year during a broadcast, they said E was officially retiring, and Daley said he wasnt going to come back. Either way, best for all parties at this point to part ways.

Proud of E, maybe he was overpaid at the end, but very possibly the best last pick ever. I wish him the best in retirement.

Peter Tosh

Dec 19, 2007
I have read that Ericsson is a Mensa member. I hope we can find a way to keep him in the organization, in a role where we can make use of his brains

Reactions: 14ari13

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Ericsson's greatest moment was, when Nicklas Lidström had that testicle injury from Sharp spearing at 2009 playoffs.

2 games without Lidström, and Ericsson was promoted to 1st pair to stunt him. Remember we did beat the Hawks on both games?

Think the defence was:

Ericsson - Rafalski
Kronwall - Stuart

Last edited:

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Daley might have hurt his own value by announcing his desire to play somewhere else. It basically let teams know that if they waited, they could pick him up now, instead of having to give up something to get him at the deadline.

I think he'll get another NHL contract, but it might not be with a contender like he wanted, and he put everyone on the Red Wings including himself into an embarrassing predicament.

There was no need to draw attention to the fact that the team was bad because everyone could see it in the standings and he was coming into free-agency. So, why not keep it to a private conversation and then let it play out?

I will say that Daley panicking the way he did gives some insight into the headspace the team is in. Daley was supposedly a veteran leader for the team, yet his actions would seem to indicate that the team is going through a crisis of mental weakness. He was supposed to be one of the guys leading the team through that kind of darkness. Any team that considers him now cannot entertain the idea that he would bring leadership or be a good influence.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
I’ve always liked Ericsson. He was a solid player in his prime and it seemed like he was respected by the whole organization. He’s played the 6th most games among Red Wings defensemen all-time — pretty impressive for pick #291!

And yeah, Daley... did he even play for the Wings?

Reactions: 14ari13

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I wish the Big Rig well in retirement. He earned it, shame how his hand and hip issues really did impact his career. Still he gave a lot to this organization and is one of those pure class guys when you talk to people around the team and in terms of what we have heard from the media and his teammates for years. I think he has said for a while he would go back to Sweden after his playing days, but I hope we can keep him in some capacity even if that is the plan.

Daley, yeah I am with a lot of you. I didn't necessarily dig the signing but I thought he could provide some value. He didn't and then wasn't very accountable for a veteran player in my opinion that seemed to not own his own contributions to the problems. He still wants a NHL job and if I am the 31 GMs in the league, I tell him he hasn't earned one with his play during his last contract...

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Is this really newsworthy?

Both men are old, slow, broken or just plain bad now

Nothing sentimental here

Wish JE all the best
Good riddance to TD

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad