Trade: [DAL/WSH] Spencer Dinwiddie and Davis Bertans for Kristaps Porzingis and 2nd

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Errrr that's a weird one.

I get KP can't stay healthy, but he was playing at a DPOY level this year and all you can get back in return are some garbage contracts? While also sending a second round pick?

There has to be more to this. Because this is just a bad trade without some type of context to explain it

Reactions: Voight

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Errrr that's a weird one.

I get KP can't stay healthy, but he was playing at a DPOY level this year and all you can get back in return are some garbage contracts? While also sending a second round pick?

There has to be more to this. Because this is just a bad trade without some type of context to explain it
It was a great trade for the Mavs. They were never going to get anywhere with KP. He misses 40% of his games, and even in many of the games he plays, you're getting half a guy who is playing through injury or is just back from injury.

They were able to trade one massive bad contract for two smaller bad contracts. This gives the Mavs the flexibility to try to get some help for Luka. With KP on the roster, they were never going to be able to add a better player because his contract was a massive roadblock.

Reactions: Gecklund

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
It was a great trade for the Mavs. They were never going to get anywhere with KP. He misses 40% of his games, and even in many of the games he plays, you're getting half a guy who is playing through injury or is just back from injury.

They were able to trade one massive bad contract for two smaller bad contracts. This gives the Mavs the flexibility to try to get some help for Luka. With KP on the roster, they were never going to be able to add a better player because his contract was a massive roadblock.

How so?

Dinwiddie and Bertans combine to make more than KP, and have just as many years left on their deals...

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
How so?

Dinwiddie and Bertans combine to make more than KP, and have just as many years left on their deals...
It's easier to dump or work around $16/18 million contracts than it is a $30+ million contract. This trade gives the Mavs flexibility they didn't have when they were saddled with one massive contract no one wanted.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
It's easier to dump or work around $16/18 million contracts than it is a $30+ million contract. This trade gives the Mavs flexibility they didn't have when they were saddled with one massive contract no one wanted.

Bertans actually has an extra year on his deal though, so I don't know how much easier it'll be to dump his contract...

Bluto

Don't listen to me, I'm an idiot. TOGA! TOGA!
Dec 24, 2017
Anything is better than Porzingis. Dude misses 900 games per year. You can't rely on him to stay healthy in the playoffs when things get physical. Addition by subtraction for the Mavericks

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Anything is better than Porzingis. Dude misses 900 games per year. You can't rely on him to stay healthy in the playoffs when things get physical. Addition by subtraction for the Mavericks
The Mavs have more cap flexibility now and are getting help every night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad