Post-Game Talk: DAL vs PIT (4-3 DAL)

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Wasn't sure where to put this as I didn't see a GDT for tonight's game.

First thing... what an entertaining hockey game. Nothing but fast back and forth hockey, with some solid hits. Wish PIT had gotten the win, but can't complain at all due to the pure entertainment value of the game.

Second thing. I have to say it's pretty rare that I watch the feed from the other team and actually enjoy it. Usually it's so bias that it's somewhere between tough to unbearable to watch. Your broadcasters did a great job giving credit where credit was due and talking just enough about the other team to keep things interesting and entertaining for non DAL fans. Not sure if every game is like that or if that was one of because it was the Pens vs say ARI or some other low standing team, but either way it was well done.

Reactions: Ajacied

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
The Stars board is probably the least active thread for any team, and honestly I don't know why.

But, back to this game. This really had the feel of a playoff game and both teams looked like they left it all out on the ice tonight and the effort from both sides was just great and the divided atmosphere of the AAC was awesome (felt like every Stars vs. Hawks game). Penguins played well too and yeah most of us Stars fans love our announcers, especially because they stepped in for Dave Strader when he got sick. They can be biased though I'll admit at times but tonight they called an even game and seemed to really enjoy both sides play. Everytime Crosby stepped on the ice though I was terrified lol he creates opportunities out of almost everything (Seguin/Faksa controlled him well too and he still got chances it's crazy).

Reactions: Ajacied

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
The Stars board is probably the least active thread for any team, and honestly I don't know why.

But, back to this game. This really had the feel of a playoff game and both teams looked like they left it all out on the ice tonight and the effort from both sides was just great and the divided atmosphere of the AAC was awesome (felt like every Stars vs. Hawks game). Penguins played well too and yeah most of us Stars fans love our announcers, especially because they stepped in for Dave Strader when he got sick. They can be biased though I'll admit at times but tonight they called an even game and seemed to really enjoy both sides play. Everytime Crosby stepped on the ice though I was terrified lol he creates opportunities out of almost everything (Seguin/Faksa controlled him well too and he still got chances it's crazy).

I've noticed that before. Not really sure why... you have a good team and some amazing fans. I know I had a great time when I was down there in Oct 2017 for a few games.

Everyone can be. But it's to what extent that makes a broadcast watchable by other fans. I remember watching a OTT/PIT game... oh 5-8 years ago or so, and unfortunately I got stuck watching the OTT feed. It was so bad that when one of the PIT defenders tripped (literally tripped over the blueline), the play by play got went on and on about what an amazing deke the OTT F did. Shit like that... all game long. OTT could do no wrong and PIT was ignored completely. It was so bad I actually muted the feed. Fortunately PIT hammered the shit out of them.

I don't have that high of expectations... just call an honest game giving credit where credit is due and give me some info on the other team and discuss them a little - if they have some of the top scorers in the league, point that out. If their goalie is one of the best, let me know. If they make a great play or an amazing save, comment on it (vs just playing it off as if your guy messed up). You don't have to go on and on about them... just don't ignore them completely. And I expect the same from the PIT broadcasters - and fortunately we get it for the most part.

My point in bringing it up was just what a refreshing surprise it was to get this from somewhere else. Best of luck in the POs.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I've noticed that before. Not really sure why... you have a good team and some amazing fans. I know I had a great time when I was down there in Oct 2017 for a few games.

Everyone can be. But it's to what extent that makes a broadcast watchable by other fans. I remember watching a OTT/PIT game... oh 5-8 years ago or so, and unfortunately I got stuck watching the OTT feed. It was so bad that when one of the PIT defenders tripped (literally tripped over the blueline), the play by play got went on and on about what an amazing deke the OTT F did. **** like that... all game long. OTT could do no wrong and PIT was ignored completely. It was so bad I actually muted the feed. Fortunately PIT hammered the **** out of them.

I don't have that high of expectations... just call an honest game giving credit where credit is due and give me some info on the other team and discuss them a little - if they have some of the top scorers in the league, point that out. If their goalie is one of the best, let me know. If they make a great play or an amazing save, comment on it (vs just playing it off as if your guy messed up). You don't have to go on and on about them... just don't ignore them completely. And I expect the same from the PIT broadcasters - and fortunately we get it for the most part.

My point in bringing it up was just what a refreshing surprise it was to get this from somewhere else. Best of luck in the POs.
I live in Wild territory so when the Stars are on TV I get some of the worst homeriffic garbage broadcasts. I don't feel like the Stars broadcast has been like that in at least the last decade but I am not an impartial observer by any stretch. It's nice to hear somebody from another fanbase have a similar assessment of our announcers.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Stars broadcast ever since i got to watch has been really fair and knowledgeable towards opposing teams. Be it Razor with Ralph , Strader ( RIP :( ) or now Ludwig they're Stars Fans and they cheer for the Stars ( as they should ) but they also are give other teams their dues and usually do their research and have interesting insides into the other team . I've noticed many other teams broacast does NOT do that and when the other team scores its sometimes like a puppy just got murdered or something . Not to mention sometimes the broadcasters not only know nothing about the opposing team they don't even the names of anyone that isn't a star player. I mean come on you're a profesional broadcaster do some research . It's not THAT hard to read up a couple of things and learn the names. I'd assume you're a hockey fan as a broadcaster anyway so it shouldn't exactly be an annoying thing to do and you have people working for you to help you with that.

As for the board . I don't know its just dead. There's a couple of regular Stars posters around for the games but posting in the Stars board is just a waste of time. The Mods aren't active as well. Is LT even still around ?

Edit : By the way i caught of one the Stars-Hawks games on the Hawks feed and i know Foley is just AWFUL when it comes to other teams players names ( Dominic Roussel .... ) but when he repeatedly called Alex Radulov Igor Radulov i was flabbergasted. Come on Radulov isn't some bottom six grinder and you don't even know his name ? He plays for a divisional rivals FFS .

Last edited:
Reactions: Riptide

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Yeah, we love our broadcasters.

Some of the even style might come from ours being (I think) the only team to have the TV guys do radio, instead of having a separate duo. They do have to describe the game.

For years, Razor was the color guy, and now he is the play by play guy, and I think some locals think he is better in the color role, since he has toned down most of his humorous comments. But, Ludwig has done a decent job of being a color guy, with good explanations, and as a former D, usually critical either way when a breakdown occurs. Not as much personality as Razor, but he is new on the job.

Took my cousin last night, who has lived here four years, and hasn't seen his Pens win yet. Also took a first time hockey fan and that game had her buying Stars stuff, and she is now a hockey fan. Great game for that, did have playoff feel.

Misty, didn't know you were up in MN area. Was there Monday on a sales call, and got a taste of the MN winter at 7 degrees. Luckily, sunny and no wind, and only a few short walks from car to building. But, I have worked outdoors there in the winter, and makes me glad I live in TX. People are complaining about this "cold snap" but they have no idea!

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
Razor is really bad as a PBP guy. Really tough to listen to with all his screaming and his opinions and knowledge seemed better when he was talking less. Also more homerish now, and hate his bush league Colorado style 'score' when the other team scores. I sure hope this current alignment isn't permanent and they move him back to color and get a real PBP announcer. Strange reading the praise here as it's the first time I've seen positive comments regarding the Razor PBP and Ludwig color duo. It's hard to accept that management would be willing to settle for this after the excellence Stars fans had with Ralph and Razor and Strader and Razor for so long.

The reason this team board is dead is because it was purged of Stars mods and posters a few years ago by other mods/admins, so most Stars posters that were around then now just post in the NHL/trade sections and have moved elsewhere for Stars-specific talk.

Last edited:

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Razor is really bad as a PBP guy. Really tough to listen to with all his screaming and his opinions and knowledge seemed better when he was talking less. Also more homerish now, and hate his bush league Colorado style 'score' when the other team scores. I sure hope this current alignment isn't permanent and they move him back to color and get a real PBP announcer. Strange reading the praise here as it's the first time I've seen positive comments regarding the Razor PBP and Ludwig color duo.

The reason this team board is dead is because it was purged of Stars mods and posters a few years ago by other mods/admins, so most Stars posters that were around then now just post in the NHL/trade sections and have moved elsewhere for Stars-specific talk.

Razor as PBP is still much better than what most local broadcasts have to offer . Yes the broadcast is not as good as it was with Ralph or Strader but its still fine. Even the more homerish parts are not nearly as bad as other teams. Razor at least just sounds disspointed while other teams guys sometimes make it sound like someone just died. The Razor/Luds duo also has gotten better than it was last year. Still not ideal but decent enough imho.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
Razor as PBP is still much better than what most local broadcasts have to offer . Yes the broadcast is not as good as it was with Ralph or Strader but its still fine. Even the more homerish parts are not nearly as bad as other teams. Razor at least just sounds disspointed while other teams guys sometimes make it sound like someone just died. The Razor/Luds duo also has gotten better than it was last year. Still not ideal but decent enough imho.

His reaction sometimes when other teams score is embarrassing, to me at least. It was one of the good things about Ralph and Strader... And I recall lots of Stars fans praising Ralph for that. I think he set a tone that reigned in some of the homerism that we see a bit of from Razor. His goal calls should be energetic regardless of who scores. More excited when the Stars score, sure. I think he's well below average in relation to other team PBP guys and nothing less than excellence is acceptable for this franchise. If they were okay with less they wouldn't have tried to sign Strader. They would have handed the job to Razor, who wanted the job.

As for getting better, I think Luds has but Razor if anything goes further off the rails as time goes on. I get the idea that he gets no feedback on how he's doing. He's a big-headed, over-the-top guy (and I don't mind that at all, I love him as a color guy but in that role he can't just be talking constantly) so whatever he's doing is going to keep getting amplified, good or bad if he's given no indication he should reign anything in.

Last edited:

serp

Jan 17, 2016
His reaction when other teams score is embarrassing, to me at least. I think he's well below average in relation to other team PBP guys and nothing less than excellence is acceptable for this franchise. If they were okay with less they wouldn't have tried to sign Strader. As for getting better, I think Luds has but Razor if anything goes further off the rails as time goes on. I get the idea that he gets no feedback on how he's doing. He's a big-headed, over-the-top guy (and I don't mind that at all, I love him as a color guy but in that role he can't just be talking constantly) so whatever he's doing is going to keep getting amplified, good or bad if he's given no indication he should reign anything in.

Look i don't know how easy or difficult it is to get a good PBP guy . They obviously couldn't plan for what happened to Strader ( :( ) and i would guess most if not all the other good PBP guys are under contract somewhere . Of course i'd like to get back to the level we had before but that might not be an option anytime soon.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
Look i don't know how easy or difficult it is to get a good PBP guy . They obviously couldn't plan for what happened to Strader ( :( ) and i would guess most if not all the other good PBP guys are under contract somewhere . Of course i'd like to get back to the level we had before but that might not be an option anytime soon.

Sorry I edited and added more before you got the chance to see it. Maybe the opportunity in terms of available talent won't be there after the season like it was with Strader, but you try. Maybe they will and I hope they do. I have no problem with the current situation considering there wasn't any choice, I'd just be sick if it was permanent because for me it makes the games a struggle when they used to be a joy. I have no idea on whether they see this as permanent or not... But I wonder if they'll be willing to actually tell a guy who's done the job for almost two full seasons and has been with the franchise for pretty much the full run that he's not good enough and we're moving you back to your old position.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Sorry I edited and added more before you got the chance to see it. Maybe the opportunity won't be there after the season like it was with Strader but you try. Maybe they will and I hope they do. I have no problem with the current situation considering there wasn't any choice, I'd just be sick if it was permanent because for me it makes the games a struggle when they used to be a joy. I have no idea on whether they see this as permanent or not... But I wonder if they'll be willing to actually tell a guy who's done the job for almost two full seasons and has been with the franchise for pretty much the full run that he's not good enough and we're moving you back to your old position.

I think you'd have to get another somewhat big name . Someone like say Forslund ( doubt he's leaving the Canes with new Ownership and how long he's been there ) for Razor to move back to Color . That might be just my opinion . Razor isn't moving back unless he says by himself he's better suited in another role. I'll give Luds some credit though . He's been doing a much better this year after getting thrown in last year somewhat unexpectedly.

By the way i still think Razor/Luds is top10-15 ish when it comes to broadcast teams. Thats not because they're so great but some are just REALLY REALLY bad. You may hate Razors PBP but there's so much worse out there.

Reactions: Riptide

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I think we are all spoiled by how awesome the broadcast was for years and years. If you don't see how bad it is in lots of places, you wouldn't know how lucky we still are. Comments from Leafs and now Pens folks about the broadcast should tell you how it is relative to other places.

The criticism of Razor is applicable to almost every other PBP guy IMO, and he's nowhere near as bad as the vast majority. I get a little annoyed by how old school Ludwig is sometimes but at least he doesn't refer to the team as "we" all the time. I agree Razor would be better as the color but I doubt we can get the big name it would take to move him to that chair.

Reactions: Riptide and serp

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I don’t need a PBP guy to tell me what’s happening when I’m watching the game. I’d rather just hear Razor and Ludwig talk about the game. PBP is an unnecessary crutch carried over to TV from radio and a time well before HD images where some description helped you understand what was happening on your 17” grainy black and white screen.

The worst PBP guy in all of sports is Doc Emerick with his mad libs approach of using random verbs to describe what’s happening. No one passes the puck in his eyes. They knife, spirit, etc. it, and there is no consistency to when he uses those non-sports verbs. His call of the game is like giving a microphone to someone who knows English very well but has never seen sports of any kind and listening to them try to come up with a new lingo to describe what they are seeing for the first time.

Reactions: serp

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Identical-Twins.gif

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
Of course Razor would never voluntarily leave the job he wants so if they don't try to make him he'll stay there. I definitely know there are some horrible ones like Pittsburgh that are worse. That just shows how bad some are that they can be worse at it than Razor as PBP. I don't agree that they're in the top 10-15. The way Razor speaks- tone and cadence is just brutal when doing PBP. His sudden, excitable, "jump scare" yelling when he gets excited is a PBP dealbreaker. No matter what else he does if he keeps doing that I'll eventually stop watching their broadcasts. This is coming from someone who considers Razor to be his favorite color commentator of all-time in any sport.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Of course Razor would never voluntarily leave the job he wants so if they don't try to make him he'll stay there. I definitely know there are some horrible ones like Pittsburgh that are worse. That just shows how bad some are that they can be worse at it than Razor as PBP. I don't agree that they're in the top 10-15. The way Razor speaks- tone and cadence is just brutal when doing PBP. His sudden, excitable, "jump scare" yelling when he gets excited is a PBP dealbreaker. No matter what else he does if he keeps doing that I'll eventually stop watching their broadcasts. This is coming from someone who considers Razor to be his favorite color commentator of all-time in any sport.

How many broadcast guys have you heard ? As a guy in Europe i used to take any Stream i could find which forced made me listen to pretty much everyone in the league. Most local broadcast teams ARE just horrific . There's some good ones out there but i know which teams to avoid and its PLENTY .

Last edited:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
How many broadcast guys have you heard ? As a guy in Europe i used to take any Stream i could find which forced made me listen to pretty much everyone in the league. Most local broadcast teams ARE just horrific . There's some good ones out there but i know which teams to avoid and its PLENTY .

I feel your pain. When you watch on NHL's Center Ice you do not always get a choice of what feed to watch (when I do, I record both just to make sure I can watch the Pens one). I've been lucky this year that frequently Rogers Sportsnet will broadcast the Pens one when airing their games on Sportsnet so I've watched more Pens games done by the Pens guys then usual this year. But even then out of the 56 games they've played, I've probably watched at least 50 of them, and still gotten at least 10 broadcasts from other teams - if not more. And when that happens, it's usually pretty rough. So last night was a really pleasant surprise in that regard.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I also want to mention the Studio guys have really improved . Ali Lucia was just not a good fit and it seemed to annoy the rest of the crew as well. Luds allways looked confused with Ali around . Now i know i some fans said some really bad thing about her and to her and thats not cool and all but jesus she was bad. Bogorad with Severyn and Sturm or Fiddler is a pretty good crew .

Reactions: Kcb12345
Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
Razor is the reason I know what "lapidate", "mortiferous", and several other fancy words mean - words so highfalutin, they aren't even included in my browser's spell-check! He makes the game fun to listen to even when the on-ice action isn't so hot.

I don’t need a PBP guy to tell me what’s happening when I’m watching the game. I’d rather just hear Razor and Ludwig talk about the game. PBP is an unnecessary crutch carried over to TV from radio and a time well before HD images where some description helped you understand what was happening on your 17” grainy black and white screen.

Razor is going to have to keep describing the play as long as they keep simulcasting on radio. I think The Ticket likes him enough that they aren't planning on setting up a separate crew anytime soon.

I was about to turn this game off after the 2nd goal, because it looked like exactly the kind of game we could expect from a tired team against a strong opponent - glad I decided to stick out the first period to see if they were going to give up or bounce back.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
It was a hockej game

Love to get upset at mispronounced names because I never stumble on my words

I’m perfect

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad

All of them, although maybe not all current crews because I haven't watched that many over the last couple years. But I used to watch 1-2 NHL games per night for years. There aren't many commentating crews in sports at all that I like much. They mostly irritate me. Razor doing PBP is near the top of the list for me in being annoying. If they didn't have to call for radio and could try a different concept of two guys just talking about the game maybe that would be interesting.

I never, ever listen to them on the radio, but I know it has always been a terrible radio broadcast because they've never really called the games like they need to for radio. Every game there are spans where they aren't describing the action second-by-second which would be bad if you're trying to listen on the radio. Maybe it's fine for Stars fans who've never known anything different, but I used to listen to a lot of minor league hockey games on the radio so know exactly how that needs to be done. Fortunately since I don't listen to the Stars on the radio I've never cared.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad