Confirmed with Link: DAL trades Jaromir Jagr to BOS for 2nd R '13/MacDermid/Payne

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
Please tell me I'm dreaming? How is it that we get such a great return for Morrow but such a disappointing return for Jagr and Roy? I'm losing my mind.

Is there a bright side to any of this?!?!?

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
I'm beginning to think JN has a lot of confidence that the Bruins will make a deep playoff run, and that no other team offered any kind of 1st rounder, conditional or otherwise.

Still a dumb trade, but at least there are some gears or something turning in his head.

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
I'm beginning to think JN has a lot of confidence that the Bruins will make a deep playoff run, and that no other team offered any kind of 1st rounder, conditional or otherwise.

Still a dumb trade, but at least there are some gears or something turning in his head.

Steampunk GMJN :laugh:

i need that avatar

LordHelmet

May 19, 2004
Twin Cities
Yes its really all that simple. You are so much smarter than us.
I understand, and my comment is a bit tongue in check.

But the amount of digital venom being spewed is a bit overboard, IMO.
Are they great - even good - prospects? No.
Did I hope to get more in return for both Jagr and Roy? Yes.
Would I rather have two 2nds instead of a 2nd and those two prospects? Yes.

This is a classic case of posters thinking that HFBoards valuations are anything remotely close to reality. Posters - fans from several teams - assumed that the prospects Boston offered for Jagr would be the same as the prospects offered for Morrow & Iginla, and somehow the groupthink led to that becoming the standard by which the trade would be judged. Any more from either side and one GM is the greatest ever while the other should be immediately fired.

What if the next best offer was a 2nd + a 4th + a low-end prospect? Then Joe did well to get a 2nd that could turn into a 1st, right?

MrKabukiman

Ne pas plonger!
Nov 12, 2007
Mass.
MacDermid being included in the trade feels very reactionary. It's as if Nieuwendyk watched the Anaheim game, decided that the team needed a fighter, and went and made sure that they got one in a trade. You don't trade for MacDermid hoping he develops into a top 6 player and they don't need him in Austin (they've got Gazdic). I expect him to play in Dallas and be the next Barch.

MacDermid has more upside than Barch. MacDermid can play a little, has size, skates very well, and has a decent shot (not your typical tough guy). Potentially could develop into a decent 3rd line guy.

Alistar

Jul 9, 2006
MacDermid has more upside than Barch. MacDermid can play a little, has size, skates very well, and has a decent shot (not your typical tough guy). Potentially could develop into a decent 3rd line guy.

could you see him holding down 12-13 minutes a night? Not interested in players that you can only let out there for 5 sheltered minutes a game.

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com

I like MacDermid a lot. I think he could very well turn out to be the guy he couldn't displace in Boston's lineup: Shawn Thornton.

Starsdude

Jul 7, 2002
Visit site

he could not beat out Shawn thornton for minutes nuff ssaid

MrKabukiman

Ne pas plonger!
Nov 12, 2007
Mass.
could you see him holding down 12-13 minutes a night? Not interested in players that you can only let out there for 5 sheltered minutes a game.

Potentially, yes.

As someone else stated, MacDermid was believed by many to replace Thornton in the next year or two. He is not a John Scott type that is just going to play a few mins a game.

Truth be told, I would have rather had MacDermid in the lineup than Pandolfo (as many other Bruins fans felt). Julien is overly loyal to his veteran players (to a fault).

Last edited:

Danton Heineken

Howard Potts
Mar 11, 2007
Fall River
I like MacDermid a lot. I think he could very well turn out to be the guy he couldn't displace in Boston's lineup: Shawn Thornton.

He couldn't even beat out Jay Pandolfo.

I'm honestly sorry for Dallas, no snark or sarcasm intended at all. I thought for sure it would be the Iginla package or slightly less. MacDermid is a 14th forward and Cody Payne is a longterm project.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012

I'm honestly sorry for Dallas, no snark or sarcasm intended at all. I thought for sure it would be the Iginla package or slightly less. MacDermid is a 14th forward and Cody Payne is a longterm project.

Dude you don't have to be nice to us, we have to root for you anyways now :sarcasm:

Jagr is a treat, I hope he has a ton of success in Boston

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
MacDermid 3rd line potential.. WUT? His career high in goals is 13 in 2007 in junior. Next highest goal total: 8(also in junior). In 3.5 AHL seasons his career high in goals is 7 in 78 games. Yet somehow he's going to become a third line NHL player? RIIIGHT. You have to be able to actually score a little to be a third liner.

FrailSwan

Feb 26, 2012
I have lost my home
MacDermid 3rd line potential.. WUT? His career high in goals is 13 in 2007 in junior. Next highest goal total: 8(also in junior). In 3.5 AHL seasons his career high in goals is 7 in 78 games. Yet somehow he's going to become a third line NHL player? RIIIGHT. You have to be able to actually score a little to be a third liner.

Glennie looks much better now. That's saying something.

Sony Eriksson*

Just kick us in the nuts even more....:facepalm:

Sports

Jul 12, 2011
We get a poor return and I have to root for Boston?
Wooooooooooooooooooooooow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad