Confirmed Signing with Link: [DAL] Thomas Harley Signs ELC

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I just saw it on NHL Network and was shocked by it. Didn’t see a thread on here, but here’s the tweet. Sorry if there’s already a thread about this.

A first round pick signing his ELC shocks you ? What ?

Thats pretty standard for CHL and european guys even if they're send back . If he's send back to juniors the contract will slide and won't count towards the limit and won't acually start until they're 20 / or they play in the NHL .

If Harley plays his 10th NHL game this season thats when you can get "shocked" . Anything else is not out of the ordinary. Once a guy who can still play in junior plays in 10 or more NHL games it will count as a year on his ELC . That though is still looking mighty unlikely.

Last edited:

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Just for the few people who for some reason don't now . Thomas Harley signing his ELC does not mean he is actually going to play in NHL games this year. He could since he's still on the roster right now but he can just be send back to his OHL team and his ELC will not start .

Also here's a Thread for this where you can see quite a few 2019 picks have signed ELC's and many of those won't play this season for their NHL teams.

Confirmed Signing with Link: - 2019 Prospect Thread

Last edited:

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
A first round pick signing his ELC shocks you ? What ?

Thats pretty standard for CHL and european guys even if they're send back . If he's send back to juniors the contract will slide and won't count towards the limit and won't acually start until they're 20 / or they play in the NHL .

If Harley plays his 10th NHL game this season thats when you can get "shocked" . Anything else is not out of the ordinary. Once a guy who can still play in junior plays in 10 or more NHL games it will count as a year on his ELC . That though is still looking mighty unlikely.

It shocks me that he got it so soon.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Why ? He's a first round pick who had a good development camp , prospect tournament and pre-season . 16 guys picked after him in the 2019 draft already signed their ELC's as well .

2019 Draft Class - ELC tracker

Here's a list of 2019 draftees who already signed their ELC's

Again, shocked that he got it so soon. Does it matter why? Are you offended by me being shocked or something? I didn’t think they were gonna give him a deal this early. If he’s playing well enough to earn a spot in their lineup right away, good for him and the team. I didn’t expect it, therefore I am shocked. I haven’t gotten to watch much preseason hockey being busy with other things.

Are we finished? Or do we need a further psychological breakdown?

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Just confused thats all. This is standard practise for most first round picks by any teams. At least those that don't go playing in the NCAA since the NCAA doesn't allow players on ELC's to play there.

Most don't play in the lineup right away either. The contract doesn't start until they actually do.

The player just gets the standard ELC signing bonus right away ( ~$93k ) and it creates good will on both sides and a warm and fuzzy feeling all around.

Last edited:
Reactions: LatvianTwist

Lempo

Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Just confused thats all. This is standard practise for most first round picks by any teams. At least those that don't go playing in the NCAA since the NCAA doesn't allow players on ELC's to play there.

Most don't play in the lineup right away either. The contract doesn't start until they actually .

The player just gets the standard signing bonus right away ( ~$93k ) and it creates good will on both sides and a warm and fuzzy feeling all around.
Leaving the player's signing to the next summer may make the NA-drafted player to ponder that he might want to go unsigned for just one more year and then re-enter the draft. If he's any good in the juniors in the meanwhile he probably gets (re-)drafted high which translates to better opportunities given and some leverage for negotiating the ELC and the performance bonuses within.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Leaving the player's signing to the next summer may make the NA-drafted player to ponder that he might want to go unsigned for just one more year and then re-enter the draft. If he's any good in the juniors in the meanwhile he probably gets (re-)drafted high which translates to better opportunities given and some leverage for negotiating the ELC and the performance bonuses within.

Yeah that can happen too. Like i said . Most first round picks ( that don't plan on playing NCAA or are still under KHL contract ) get signed right away.

Reactions: Lempo

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Could be in the NHL as soon as next season. Really promising camp and preseason he has had.

Reactions: Elysian

Nuckler

May 7, 2013
Really thought the Canucks should have traded back for this guy. Gonna be a good dman

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
I'm shocked.

giphy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->