Confirmed Trade: [DAL/PIT] Jamie Oleksiak for a 2019 4th round pick

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
I think we’re about 15+ years removed from any player changing their behavior because of who is on the other team.

This. I don't understand why people keep making Dumbass Cherry-esque arguments.

Surprisingly, this shit seems to go down very well with the noob Dallas fans on Facebook too, many of whom are very excited to have Big Rig back.

I guess one gets the franchise their idiocy truly deserves.

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
Physicality impacts hesitancy. Always will.

No it doesn't. You have to wonder why a lot of teams don't have the bruisers of yore and that's because the modern game isn't very forgiving towards foolish acts of toughness. You take stupid penalties, you'll end up getting scored upon.

If Tom Wilson didn't have hockey skills to supplement his physical play, he'd not be in the NHL.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
As a Dallas fan I was pissed off when I first saw this trade yesterday. Then read some comments and thought maybe it wont be so bad, and maybe he's better then how he was last time in Dallas

But, now I'm just mad again. WTF Nill this is such a stupid trade. He's more then likely still terrible at defending, and hes signed for two more years....

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
As a Dallas fan I was pissed off when I first saw this trade yesterday. Then read some comments and thought maybe it wont be so bad, and maybe he's better then how he was last time in Dallas

But, now I'm just mad again. WTF Nill this is such a stupid trade. He's more then likely still terrible at defending, and hes signed for two more years....

I've heard he's in talks with Buffalo to bring back Remi Elie. Also looking at throwing a contract offer at Kari Lehtonen.

What's old is new again! :laugh:

pylon17

Jan 19, 2017
No it doesn't. You have to wonder why a lot of teams don't have the bruisers of yore and that's because the modern game isn't very forgiving towards foolish acts of toughness. You take stupid penalties, you'll end up getting scored upon.

If Tom Wilson didn't have hockey skills to supplement his physical play, he'd not be in the NHL.

I’m not talking about plugs. I’m talking size+skill (and willingness to use it).

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
I’m not talking about plugs. I’m talking size+skill (and willingness to use it).

Even considering that, only a judicious use of physicality is beneficial. It's one thing to use your physical strength to separate a player from the puck, retrieve it, and create plays (see Bergeron or Benn in Beast Mode) and another thing if you're busy hitting to intimidate (and not doing much after). The latter just means that you don't have possession and the numbers will catch up to you.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Even considering that, only a judicious use of physicality is beneficial. It's one thing to use your physical strength to separate a player from the puck, retrieve it, and create plays (see Bergeron or Benn in Beast Mode) and another thing if you're busy hitting to intimidate (and not doing much after). The latter just means that you don't have possession and the numbers will catch up to you.

To be fair... Big players will injure soft ones in the playoffs. And in a 7-game series, "injuring slightly" or "punishing" your opponent is a strategy.

It worked wonders for Boston on Vancouver cup final.
And many other situations. LAKings vs Anyone.

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
To be fair... Big players will injure soft ones in the playoffs. And in a 7-game series, "injuring slightly" or "punishing" your opponent is a strategy.

It worked wonders for Boston on Vancouver cup final.
And many other situations. LAKings vs Anyone.

The big player has to catch up with the smaller player. This isn't the clutch-and-grab era.

Punishing cannot be your top strategy in today's NHL and very likely ranks very low on the list. Only a dinosaur coach will resort to punishing instead of out-possessing, out-chancing, and out-scoring your opponent.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
The big player has to catch up with the smaller player. This isn't the clutch-and-grab era.

Punishing cannot be your top strategy in today's NHL and very likely ranks very low on the list. Only a dinosaur coach will resort to punishing instead of out-possessing, out-chancing, and out-scoring your opponent.

We will see...

Who has more value at this TDL.... Simmonds or Nyquist.

Nyquist scores more... Simmonds is Grittier.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Seeing all the Pens fans trash Oleksiak in this thread and talking about how bad he is brings back memories of them thinking he was a changed man and top 4 dman. They thought they struck gold in him :laugh:

Reactions: Ragernschnapple

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Seeing all the Pens fans trash Oleksiak in this thread and talking about how bad he is brings back memories of them thinking he was a changed man and top 4 dman. They thought they struck gold in him :laugh:

There are a ton of varying opinions on Oleksiak. HFBoards hates him, pretty much everywhere else loves him. This place is the only place where the majority of people are happy about this trade, a ton of people are really pissed that they gave away Oleksiak for this. I think the big problem is that this site has a massive case of "what have you done for me lately?", and Oleksiak really fell off from what he did last year and at the start of this year.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Not unusual for a player to start with a bang when getting a change of scenery trade, and then fall back to what they really are. Not sure if being traded back to Dallas constitutes a change of scenery again, and I doubt they get the best JO can be, but just MHO.

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
We will see...

Who has more value at this TDL.... Simmonds or Nyquist.

Nyquist scores more... Simmonds is Grittier.

Kindly brush up on your argumentative fallacies. One biased example does not make your case.

That said, even if Nyquist got more in return, it wouldn't make my case either. Each player's value will depend on which GM needs what for his team and how desperate he is to make that addition.

pylon17

Jan 19, 2017

Why do ppl assume I’m talking about dinosaurs? Obviously I’m talking about “talented” size/physicality. Sheesh. Clearly nobody wants a pylon/coke machine.

Ragernschnapple

Feb 24, 2017
Oleksiak is terrible.

Maatta is good.

Riikola is good and much much better than Oleksiak. Oleksiak is one of the worst Dmen ive seen.
You Think fans would learn by now that the pens are Dmen fixers.

Daley- Hawks fans were saying Scuderi was the better player and Daley was trash...lol wrong.

Schultz- Edmonton fans were happy with a 3rd, calling it an overpay....lol how ridiculous does that look now?

Oleksiak- Dallas fans can't seem to accept that they're wrong...he's a fine Dman...it's okay you're not the only fanbase who have been wrong about the penguins Dmen before...

So Dallas fans were right, and you were wrong? Which is it?

Last edited:

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
So Dallas fans were right, and you were wrong? Which is it?

Clearly I was wrong.

Oleksiak was pretty good his first 25 games here. I jumped the gun, after Cole got traded, Oleksiak fell off a cliff away from him.

Dude has no idea how to play the D posistion.

Ragernschnapple

Feb 24, 2017
Clearly I was wrong.

Oleksiak was pretty good his first 25 games here. I jumped the gun, after Cole got traded, Oleksiak fell off a cliff away from him.

Dude has no idea how to play the D posistion.
I agree with you. Oleksiak stinks. He doesn’t think the game fast enough. I wish Dallas had just kept the 4th Rounder. Nill bailed out Rutherford’s 2 mistakes:
1.Trading for Oleksiak in the first place, who makes his team worse.
2.Giving Oleksiak the contract extension.

Jim Nill won’t have a job much longer.
GM’s around the NHL can smell the desperation. They should be lining up to take advantage of Dallas.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad