Confirmed Trade: [DAL/PIT] Jamie Oleksiak for a 2019 4th round pick

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
has he played since he was wilsoned? They just sending whats left back home?

I know, I know probably already mentioned 5 times in this thread.

Reactions: shtorm2005

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
He actually has a skillset that I think would be better utilized as a forward. Watch him play with the puck, given his size and skating ability, I think he'd be a solid forward.

Last edited by a moderator:

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
I wonder how that conversation went down between Nill and Rutherford lol

beavisandbutthead-mostwanted-05.jpg

If anybody saw this episode, you'd understand the reference.

Reactions: namttebih and Satan

chirrrs

Jun 3, 2013
Rockwall, TX
Hours later, and I'm still just befuddled. Not mad, just...stunned. It's a weird feeling, truly devoid of emotion, which makes me feel...uncomfortable?

It's like this feeling I get when I look at some of the wall outlets in my house and how it bothers me that some of them were installed just slightly crooked by maybe fifteen degrees or so. I just try not to think about it, and it shouldn't impact my day in any way, but they're still there and every now and again I see them and just think "why?"

EDIT:

Anyway, welcome back, Big Rig! Hope the second time around does the trick!

Reactions: Son Goku

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I have to say I'm surprised he was available. After the trade last year Pens fans were confident they would fix him like they did with Niskanen and Daley.

How many trades have there been between Dallas and Pittsburgh, that involve a d-man?

I'm pretty sure it's a prerequisite.

Oleksiak x2
Joe Morrow
Carl Sneep
Goligoski for Niskanen
Sydor for Boucher
Zubov for Hatcher

I had to go back to 1994, when these two teams traded depth wingers, to find the last time they made a trade and it didnt involve a blueliner. That's 8 trades ago. :laugh:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I have to say I'm surprised he was available. After the trade last year Pens fans were confident they would fix him like they did with Niskanen and Daley.

Signing Jack Johnson to a 5 year deal changes things.

Judging players based on only those charts is really stupid. Oleksiak started out the year on an ungodly offensive tear, he had 4 points in his last 27 games with the Penguins. Take out his 7 points in 9 game run to start the year and I bet his stats are worse than Maatta's.

steiner

May 30, 2007
Take out Maatta's best games and Oleksiak is better again. Sorry, but there is no valid point in your post.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Signing Jack Johnson to a 5 year deal changes things.

Judging players based on only those charts is really stupid. Oleksiak started out the year on an ungodly offensive tear, he had 4 points in his last 27 games with the Penguins. Take out his 7 points in 9 game run to start the year and I bet his stats are worse than Maatta's.

You are right about the charts but Oleksiak is probably still better than Maatta on any given night and much better than Johnson on any night.

I don't think any of them are great they all are all low 4-6 dmen. I thought for sure the Pens were getting Muzzin so as a Metro team fan I guess I am glad about that.

I will really start to worry when they sit Johnson instead of Rikkola when Schultz gets back. ;)

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Take out Maatta's best games and Oleksiak is better again. Sorry, but there is no valid point in your post.

What isn't a valid point? Oleksiak went on a run that is completely uncharacteristic of his ability level, which Maatta hasn't done. Oleksiak just isn't better than Maatta and no one who has actually watched them would argue otherwise.

You are right about the charts but Oleksiak is probably still better than Maatta on any given night and much better than Johnson on any night.

I don't think any of them are great they all are all low 4-6 dmen. I thought for sure the Pens were getting Muzzin so as a Metro team fan I guess I am glad about that.

I will really start to worry when they sit Johnson instead of Rikkola when Schultz gets back. ;)

It's interesting you say this, because Riikola's charts there are the worst among any Penguins defensemen. It's also ridiculous to suggest Oleksiak is better than Maatta and Johnson, especially Maatta. Maatta is a middle pair defenseman, Oleksiak is a fringe #5/6.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
It's interesting you say this, because Riikola's charts there are the worst among any Penguins defensemen. It's also ridiculous to suggest Oleksiak is better than Maatta and Johnson, especially Maatta. Maatta is a middle pair defenseman, Oleksiak is a fringe #5/6.

I do like Maatta, probably more than most Pens fans do, but he does have quite a few WTH moments, but sure he is better than Oleksiak most games.

Johnson is trash, no stats needed, you just have to watch. He looks confused in the defensive zone most of the time.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I do like Maatta, probably more than most Pens fans do, but he does have quite a few WTH moments, but sure he is better than Oleksiak most games.

Maatta's only problem is that he can't skate. He doesn't have any flaws in his game outside of that, his first step is just atrocious. It's why you see him getting burned by guys like Ryan and Sissons, he just isn't a good skater. That doesn't override the rest of his game though, which tends to be very good. He is having a poor season this year, but I think that is mostly due to his usage and him playing a lot with bad partners.

Johnson is trash, no stats needed, you just have to watch. He looks confused in the defensive zone most of the time.

I actually consider Johnson way better in the defensive zone than Oleksiak. Johnson's problem is that he's an insanely low hockey IQ player, so he makes bad decisions very often. I actually don't think he's "bad defensively", as much as he makes bad decisions that lead to problems against the Penguins. When you actually have him playing a simple defensive game, he's very effective at it, his positioning and strength when he's not being an idiot are both very good. I guess it's a semantics thing, I don't consider Johnson to be a "bad defensive" player as much as I think that bad defensive plays are a byproduct of him being a low IQ player.

Oleksiak is also a low hockey IQ player, but he's also bad defensively because he's actually positionally bad. I don't think there's a huge difference between him and Johnson, but I wouldn't say that Oleksiak is "always better than Johnson".

Reactions: Sam Spade

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->