Confirmed with Link: [DAL/NYR] Mats Zuccarello (30% Retained) for 2 Conditional Picks

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Two firsts over the next two years if we make it to the WCF this year and re-sign him isn't exactly dog****.

Pretty sure nobody will complain if we make the WCF that we gave up our first rounder. THis isn't Kris Russell but a guy that needs to play well for the team to make it there.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
You know that the chance of either of those conditions being met is almost zero, right?

I agree that winning 2 rounds in the playoffs is highly unlikely, but re-signing him is not an almost zero chance. I think maybe it's unlikely, jut not impossible.

Understand your frustration though. Probably should have traded him in the summer. Seem to have lost some value there.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
You guys will love Zucc. The Stars are now my second favorite hockey team, Tampa is third because we get their 1st if they win the cup. You just have to make it to the finals and lose to Tampa, then resign Zucc. Go Stars!!

Reactions: teon and Jauffre

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Two firsts over the next two years if we make it to the WCF this year and re-sign him isn't exactly dog****.
Yeah but there is like what a 5% chance that either of those happen, and maybe a 2% chance that both

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
Pretty sure nobody will complain if we make the WCF that we gave up our first rounder. THis isn't Kris Russell but a guy that needs to play well for the team to make it there.

True, but thinking beyond this season alone would be good. Let's not forget what happened after we were last in the playoffs and nearly made it to the WCF.

The problem I see is that if we do make the WCF, Nill and Co. get to stay so who knows what that means for the next few drafts or what kind of additions are made to account for some departures, etc. etc. The guy whom has made more miscalculations than right ones through his UFA signings, that are directly responsible for the mess in which the team is, cannot be immediately trusted to do the right thing going forth.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I honestly think Zuccarello would be a good signing, but my reservation would be how inconsistent Dallas is. It doesn't sound like there is any lottery protection on the 2020 first. I don't think you can sign him knowing this team, but I don't think it's a slam dunk that Nill wouldn't sign him either. I think those odds are a little higher.

It would take a miracle for Dallas to make the Western Conference Finals. I'd be OK with that first for sure. Don't think it happens though.

Reactions: LatvianTwist

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
You know that the chance of either of those conditions being met is almost zero, right?

A very small chance of WCF, no doubt.

However, a pretty decent chance of extending Zucs if he plays well enough. If we don't make the playoffs, that decision may be left to another GM whom will likely keep him than Jim Nill who will want to f*** around with another 1st round pick with his cronies.

masinaLFC

Apr 2, 2014
Banska Bystrica, SVK
A very small chance of WCF, no doubt.

However, a pretty decent chance of extending Zucs if he plays well enough. If we don't make the playoffs, that decision may be left to another GM whom will likely keep him than Jim Nill who will want to **** around with another 1st round pick with his cronies.
you just don't re-sign 32 years old winger for an unprotected 1st... that would be ubelievably stupid

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
you just don't re-sign 32 years old winger for an unprotected 1st... that would be ubelievably stupid

As if this FO knows how to pick their 1st rounders. They haven't managed to draft a single first rounder that plays like top-line talent since Morrow. Maybe Heiskanen, but time will tell.

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013

As is the chance of either of those picks amounting to anything for the Stars. Especially the '19 pick that would be 28th overall...

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Even that 2020 pick. How high do you expect that pick to be if Zuccarello was re-signed ? Pretty much all the contributung roster players are signed beyond next season and not that old. The worst is something in the teens .

I don't expect this pick to find its way to the Rangers but its not like the roster will change that much and the Stars only had one really high pick since Modano and we really lucked into that one not because the team was so terrible.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Even that 2020 pick. How high do you expect that pick to be if Zuccarello was re-signed ? Pretty much all the contributung roster players are signed beyond next season and not that old. The worst is something in the teens .

I don't expect this pick to find its way to the Rangers but its not like the roster will change that much and the Stars only had one really high pick since Modano and we really lucked into that one not because the team was so terrible.

Well that's just it.
The team with Zucc is still a Borderline Playoff team., who knows what moves we make this offseason, we'll have to see what the new Regime does.
Lets say they dump Hanzal, Cogliano, Nichushkin and Comeau, add Duchene and Panarin and Resign Zucc Somehow.

Giving us a roster of
Panarin-Seguin-Zucc
Benn-Duchene-Radulov
Janmark-Faksa-Pitlick
Robertson-Hintz-Gurianov

Lindell-Klingberg
Heiskanen-Some Loser
Some Loser(Oleksiak)-Some Loser

Bishop
Khudobin

Minus the weak defense
thats a pretty damn good roster, so that pick is likely in the 20-30 range as that roster shouldn't have any issues making PO provided Bishop and Khudobin don't fall off.
Yeah that is a nothing pick
But far more likely to happen is
We resign Janmark, Dickinson, one of the many losers on our blue line and roll with largely the same roster we have now
Well that is a borderline playoff team even with Zucc.

So a couple of major injuries and we firmly miss out on the playoffs, but lets say we finish 9th, even by 1p.
If the first is unprotected, it could still end up being a #1 oa pick.

Zucc is good, but we need a 2nd line next season and at 32 next season, Zucc isn't someone we should be ponying up a 1st-15 oa pick for.
Especially since there is a very high likelihood of a new regime coming in and that person making changes to the scouting department, where that Pick may actually have value to us.

Last edited:

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Zuccarello hasn't played a game yet for the Stars so i'm withholding my judgement what he's worth .

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Well that's just it.
The team with Zucc is still a Borderline Playoff team., who knows what moves we make this offseason, we'll have to see what the new Regime does.
Lets say they dump Hanzal, Cogliano, Nichushkin and Comeau, add Duchene and Panarin and Resign Zucc Somehow.

Giving us a roster of
Panarin-Seguin-Zucc
Benn-Duchene-Radulov
Janmark-Faksa-Pitlick
Robertson-Hintz-Gurianov

Lindell-Klingberg
Heiskanen-Some Loser
Some Loser(Oleksiak)-Some Loser

Bishop
Khudobin

Minus the weak defense
thats a pretty damn good roster, so that pick is likely in the 20-30 range as that roster shouldn't have any issues making PO provided Bishop and Khudobin don't fall off.
Yeah that is a nothing pick
But far more likely to happen is
We resign Janmark, Dickinson, one of the many losers on our blue line and roll with largely the same roster we have now
Well that is a borderline playoff team even with Zucc.

So a couple of major injuries and we firmly miss out on the playoffs, but lets say we finish 9th, even by 1p.
If the first is unprotected, it could still end up being a #1 oa pick.

Zucc is good, but we need a 2nd line next season and at 32 next season, Zucc isn't someone we should be ponying up a 1st-15 oa pick for.
Especially since there is a very high likelihood of a new regime coming in and that person making changes to the scouting department, where that Pick may actually have value to us.

Does the NHL remove the salary cap in this situation?

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
I love how everyone is hung up on how impossible the roster construction is instead of the point. Also we have 20mil in space for next season gain another 4 for cap growth, and dump around 13mil in losers being dumped.
Hanzal at 4.75, nichushkin at 2.95, Cogliano at 3.2 and Comeau at 2.4
So 20mil +4+13=37mil.
10 for panarin, 8 for Duchene, 5 for zucc
23mil. 5 for Lindell 28 of 37mil used

Minimal raise to Janmark, Roughly 30-31 of 37mil. So yeah it could work.
But that wasn't the point

Last edited:

fredrikstad

Jan 4, 2011
Norway
They just got a good playmaker in Zucc. Do they go out and bring Carter in now?
Ranger fan coming in peace. Go get Brassard. He and Zucc has great chemistry, and are good buds . So they booth would thrive. Now, go and win the WCF. And then send Zucc back to New York.

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
Ranger fan coming in peace. Go get Brassard. He and Zucc has great chemistry, and are good buds . So they booth would thrive. Now, go and win the WCF. And then send Zucc back to New York.

One period of hockey and Zucc is meshing really well with Segs & Rads.

Reactions: fredrikstad

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Mats Zuccarello is a special kind of player, one you’ll soon grow to appreciate quickly.

His work ethic, toughness are unmatched and he’s a hell of teammate in the room.

He’s all heart and he’s going to add a unique dimension to your roster that’s hard to describe.

Good luck and congrats Stars fans

Reactions: Kallio

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad