PTO: [DAL] G Christopher Gibson signs PTO with the Stars (released)

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
He's still going?

I first was confused by him because he played for Finland with a very North American sounding name.

Then he was 1 of 5 players/prospects dealt to the Islanders for Grabner

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
The Kings drafted him 49th overall in 2011 despite having both Jonathan Quick and Jonathan Bernier under contract. Two of the next 10 picks might have helped LA: William Karlsson and Nikita Kucherov. Gibson never played a game for any of LA's affiliates. Whoops!

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
The Kings drafted him 49th overall in 2011 despite having both Jonathan Quick and Jonathan Bernier under contract. Two of the next 10 picks might have helped LA: William Karlsson and Nikita Kucherov. Gibson never played a game for any of LA's affiliates. Whoops!
Not to mention Zatkoff and Jones in the AHL. Kind of crazy they spent a 2nd on another goalie with that kind of depth.

Reactions: kilowatt

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

In their defense, they might have drafted him as the best asset available. At the time I remember there being a debate about which Gibson goalie would be drafted first (most did prefer John).

We weren't far removed from St. Louis drafting David Rundblad which seemed weird after taking Erik Johnson and Alex Pietrangelo. St. Louis flipped Rundblad a year later for the Vladimir Tarasenko pick.

Bob's final survey had Chris Gibson ranked #42. Kucherov was #56 and Karlsson was an honorable mention. There was the Russian factor with Kucherov. Calgary liked him too but gambled that they could get him later and drafted Markus Granlund and Tyler Wotherspoon in the 2nd round.

In the moment, Lucas Lessio (TSN #38) and Gibson (TSN #42) were the highest guys left on Bob's list. I was at this draft and couldn't help but assume that San Jose traded in front of LA at #47 in case the Kings wanted local kid Matt Nieto.

Edit - Dug up a couple photos from that draft, forgot that Gibson was seated near us. My thoughts in the moment were also that he was immediately trade bait.

cgibson.jpg

cgibson2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Voight and kevistar

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Not sure we needed another goalie even for camp but sure why not

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad