Dal Colle is a bust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Skating is a biggie. Also he doesn't battle for pucks and is strictly a North South player. The only thing he has going for him is his shot, but he doesn't carry the puck so it's up to line mates to get it to him, but he's always behind the play with his skating, so he's never in position to take a pass for a shot. Just what I've observed through Rookie camp scrimmages, and his few NHL games. Haven't seen his play in the AHL but I'd assume it's similar.

This is what I saw from him in junior which is why I didn't like him as a prospect. Some guys can improve and overcome but you don't want to be drafting "maybes' at 5.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Isles fans loved him pre draft as a core piece to put on the wing with JT. I remember that board being almost unanimous in their joy when he was selected.

This is not universally true. There were a fair number of us who preferred either Nylander or Ehlers. I didn't think Dal Colle would become a total bust - that's for sure - but I thought it was a big mistake not to take someone who had both explosion and maturity - Ehlers.

But what a turn around. Next year NYI drafted Barzal, a premium talent, and Beauvillier who looks fairly safe bet to be a complimentary 25-30 goal scorer in a year where they didn't even have a 1st rounder going into the draft. So, tbh, Dal Colle busting doesn't hurt as much as it should.

luki here

Jan 30, 2011
Vienna
Usually guys only get the bust label if they originally seemed like locks to be impact players in the NHL. That’s not Ho Sang. He was always a big risk, which is fine when you’re picking at 28.
besides being over 0.5ppg is not exactly a bad sign. Many teams would be happy to find a guy with that potential that late in the first.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
That top 7 of the 2014 draft was pretty underwhelming overall. Draisaitl is a great player and probably the only star, Ekblad is good and Reinhart is decent. Other 4 picks were pretty bad...Fleury might be the best going forward of the remaining group.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
At this point its questionable if hell even have an NHL career at all. Could be one of the bigger busts in a while if hes unable to even play in the league.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Connolly and Pouliot are the only other recent top 6 picks that busted hard with their original teams and turned out to be decent bottom 6 players in their d+5 seasons.

Virtanen for as much as he gets slandered on here, is a decent bottom 6 guy with 34 career points.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Can we say that Michael Dal Colle is a bit similar do Michael Ryder in the way they play?

Ryder was somewhat similar to Dal Colle in the Juniors and in the Minors (with the exception that he played in the ECHL, something 5th overall are never doing anyways). Then Ryder proceeded to have a pretty good D+5 (virtually PPG in the AHL), started his D+6 in Montréal and finished 2nd in Calder voting with a 81-25-38-63 line in 03-04, nearly leading the ECSF-bound Habs in scoring.

Ryder ended up playing over 800 RS NHL games, scoring 484 points. Scored 30 goals twice. Very solid playoff contributor (for the Bruins at least), and without him, they almost certainly stumble in the first round in 2011.

Granted, Ryder was picked 216th overall, and thus overachieved. And drafting the future Michael Ryder at 5th OA would be a disappointment. But it could be worse -- you could draft Benoit Pouliot @ 4th!

If Dal Colle has Pouliot's career the Islanders should be thankful at this point

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
Can we say that Michael Dal Colle is a bit similar do Michael Ryder in the way they play?

Ryder was somewhat similar to Dal Colle in the Juniors and in the Minors (with the exception that he played in the ECHL, something 5th overall are never doing anyways). Then Ryder proceeded to have a pretty good D+5 (virtually PPG in the AHL), started his D+6 in Montréal and finished 2nd in Calder voting with a 81-25-38-63 line in 03-04, nearly leading the ECSF-bound Habs in scoring.

Ryder ended up playing over 800 RS NHL games, scoring 484 points. Scored 30 goals twice. Very solid playoff contributor (for the Bruins at least), and without him, they almost certainly stumble in the first round in 2011.

Granted, Ryder was picked 216th overall, and thus overachieved. And drafting the future Michael Ryder at 5th OA would be a disappointment. But it could be worse -- you could draft Benoit Pouliot @ 4th!

Yes ! Just package him with Halak and a 2nd and you will get a top NHL player :laugh:

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

That’s called tough love and that was last year.

What about this part ?

“ I’m excited. The upside of him is outstanding. He worked hard today, he’s been working really hard. We all make mistakes, we all have bad games. It’s how do we respond from those and what do we learn from them“

Lou also said he hasn’t seen any issues from him and still believes in him.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
That’s called tough love and that was last year.

What about this part ?

“ I’m excited. The upside of him is outstanding. He worked hard today, he’s been working really hard. We all make mistakes, we all have bad games. It’s how do we respond from those and what do we learn from them“
well clearly he didn't work hard enough to get a full time gig at the nhl level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->