Dal Colle is a bust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric Robson

Jan 5, 2018
Getting cut this early in camp has pretty much sealed it. He will play in his third full AHL season, where last season he managed 24 points in 60 games. He had such promise as a young player who I had the pleasure of watching for the Gens for a while. Now he seems to be destined for the AHL. Drafted 5th overall in the 2014 draft, he has struggled to find his game anywhere. Is he still salvageable in your mind? Does he need a fresh change of pace? Or maybe someone to believe in him?

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I can't think of a player who was in a comparable situation who bounced back for the team that drafted them. If you were that high a pick and can't earn an NHL spot in your D+5. That combined with his numbers in the AHL means he basically belongs in the long-shot category until he does something of note.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
whats his biggest issue skating/ iq?
i mean never say never, leivo although not a high pick had to struggle quite a bit, average fitness/skating even with good attributes, seems like hes finally making the leafs well into his 20's.

He would be best served to be traded, new scene, but also to a team with elite sports science and skating coaches.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
i wouldn't call him a bust yet. he could have a fantastic season at Bridgeport and eventually make the team next season. the chances of that are low however

Taswell

Oct 4, 2017
whats his biggest issue skating/ iq?
i mean never say never, leivo although not a high pick had to struggle quite a bit, average fitness/skating even with good attributes, seems like hes finally making the leafs well into his 20's.

He would be best served to be traded, new scene, but also to a team with elite sports science and skating coaches.

Skating is a biggie. Also he doesn't battle for pucks and is strictly a North South player. The only thing he has going for him is his shot, but he doesn't carry the puck so it's up to line mates to get it to him, but he's always behind the play with his skating, so he's never in position to take a pass for a shot. Just what I've observed through Rookie camp scrimmages, and his few NHL games. Haven't seen his play in the AHL but I'd assume it's similar.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
i wouldn't call him a bust yet. he could have a fantastic season at Bridgeport and eventually make the team next season. the chances of that are low however

I think at this point a career similar to Brett Connolly would be his high end

Reactions: agentblack

Rydgar

Jul 15, 2010
Surrey, BC
I feel bad for the Islanders, he was one of the most unanimously agreed upon 5th overall picks I can think of. How was the scouting on him so bad? I know Virtanen ain't perfect but he seems better at virtually every quality (the closest comparable player in the same draft).

Reactions: Stive Morgan

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Skating is a biggie. Also he doesn't battle for pucks and is strictly a North South player. The only thing he has going for him is his shot, but he doesn't carry the puck so it's up to line mates to get it to him, but he's always behind the play with his skating, so he's never in position to take a pass for a shot. Just what I've observed through Rookie camp scrimmages, and his few NHL games. Haven't seen his play in the AHL but I'd assume it's similar.

Yeah that's what I thought. Pretty much Leivo cept Leivo battles for the puck. Getting him a fresh start would solve half the issue.

isles55

Mar 7, 2015
Getting cut this early in camp has pretty much sealed it. He will play in his third full AHL season, where last season he managed 24 points in 60 games. He had such promise as a young player who I had the pleasure of watching for the Gens for a while. Now he seems to be destined for the AHL. Drafted 5th overall in the 2014 draft, he has struggled to find his game anywhere. Is he still salvageable in your mind? Does he need a fresh change of pace? Or maybe someone to believe in him?
Everyone got cut at camp today. It's not "early" at all. The only 'young' player yet to prove himself with a chance on making the roster is 24 year old, two-time AHL all-star Devon Toews, and the Islanders just signed Sbisa to compete with him for ice-time.

Dal Colle was never making the team out of camp, so I don't see why being cut proves anything.

Reactions: 99664987
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->