Trade: [DAL/ATL] 3rd overall (Doncic) for 5th overall (Young) + 2019 1st

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Good trade for the Hawks. They end up getting the guy they wanted plus an extra (most likely high) first round pick. They'll probably have two top-12 picks next year.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Good trade for the Hawks. They end up getting the guy they wanted plus an extra (most likely high) first round pick. They'll probably have two top-12 picks next year.

Its top 5 protected but if Dallas can sign Boogie and add a few others, I have no doubt they'll be a playoff team next year.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Its top 5 protected but if Dallas can sign Boogie and add a few others, I have no doubt they'll be a playoff team next year.

They won't be bad enough to be in the top-5, but they won't be good enough to get much higher than a lottery pick most likely.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Personally I think the trade is awful for Atlanta, but that's because:
1) I think Doncic is going to be amazing
2) I think Trae Young will be a career NBA journeyman at best

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Personally I think the trade is awful for Atlanta, but that's because:
1) I think Doncic is going to be amazing
2) I think Trae Young will be a career NBA journeyman at best

Young is going to be a boom or bust. Either hes going to hit expectations or be your average bench player.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Super freaking excited for Doncic.

I've seen way too many people calling him the best player in the draft that I cant contain my hype anymore.

Best prospect since AD? Let's freaking go! Too bad Dirk is a fossil

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Totally forgot that Atlanta also has Cleveland's first as well. If/when Lebron walks, Atlanta can rake next year.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Totally forgot that Atlanta also has Cleveland's first as well. If/when Lebron walks, Atlanta can rake next year.

That pick is top 10 protected in either 2019 or 2020 and if it's not used by then it becomes a 2nd round pick in 2021 and 2022.

Here's a great site for keeping track of future draft picks in all the major sports: Pro Sports Transactions Archive

Reactions: Voight

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Super freaking excited for Doncic.

I've seen way too many people calling him the best player in the draft that I cant contain my hype anymore.

Best prospect since AD? Let's freaking go! Too bad Dirk is a fossil

not sure about the best prospect since AD but he's probably the best euro prospect since sabonis.. he's quite a bit better than porzingis who was a damn good prospect too. bust factor is close to nil based on how he dominated here in europe at that age.

Reactions: Voight

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
not sure about the best prospect since AD but he's probably the best euro prospect since sabonis.. he's quite a bit better than porzingis who was a damn good prospect too. bust factor is close to nil based on how he dominated here in europe at that age.
Kevin Pelton was the one saying saying that. He used WARP and Doncic was higher than AD.

Not saying he is better, but yeah, I am hyped with this move.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Well with how amazing Doncic has been this looks like a pretty crappy move for the Hawks. Mavs pick might not even be top 10.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Well with how amazing Doncic has been this looks like a pretty crappy move for the Hawks. Mavs pick might not even be top 10.
Yeah it doesn’t look great but Young has been pretty good too. While Doncic is clearly better, I think that Young will still be a very good player in this league.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Yeah it doesn’t look great but Young has been pretty good too. While Doncic is clearly better, I think that Young will still be a very good player in this league.

Has Young been good? I guess he's a decent playmaker but his shooting has been awful and that was supposed to be his strength. If he doesn't become a good three point shooter, I don't think he'll ever be more than a bench scorer on a good team.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Has Young been good? I guess he's a decent playmaker but his shooting has been awful and that was supposed to be his strength. If he doesn't become a good three point shooter, I don't think he'll ever be more than a bench scorer on a good team.
Most of what I’m basing this on is his play against the Clippers last night because that was the main time I saw him play. I’ve seen little glimpses but the only real full game I’ve seen was last night so I could be entirely wrong. Looking at the stats though he’s shooting at about 30%. Not good but not awful. Yeah he needs to work on it but in his first season in the NBA, he is averaging 16ish points and 7ish assists on an awful Hawks team. I don’t think he will ever be James Harden but he can carve out a pretty good career if he never improves. With that said, this kid is 20 years old and has lots of room to improve. I would wait another 4-5 years before making any definite conclusions about him.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Most of what I’m basing this on is his play against the Clippers last night because that was the main time I saw him play. I’ve seen little glimpses but the only real full game I’ve seen was last night so I could be entirely wrong. Looking at the stats though he’s shooting at about 30%. Not good but not awful. Yeah he needs to work on it but in his first season in the NBA, he is averaging 16ish points and 7ish assists on an awful Hawks team. I don’t think he will ever be James Harden but he can carve out a pretty good career if he never improves. With that said, this kid is 20 years old and has lots of room to improve. I would wait another 4-5 years before making any definite conclusions about him.

He's last in the league among qualified 3 pt shooters. I guess I'm more surprised than anything. I thought if nothing else, he would be a very good shooter in the NBA, even if he wasn't great overall. That said, it's been half a season, so there's no conclusions to make yet. I agree there. But the shooting has to get better.

2018-19 Regular Season NBA Player Stats and League Leaders - 3-Points - National Basketball Association - ESPN

But Donic is so good, I don't see how this trade ends up being a good one in hindsight for the Hawks.

Reactions: Gecklund

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
He's last in the league among qualified 3 pt shooters. I guess I'm more surprised than anything. I thought if nothing else, he would be a very good shooter in the NBA, even if he wasn't great overall. That said, it's been half a season, so there's no conclusions to make yet. I agree there. But the shooting has to get better.

2018-19 Regular Season NBA Player Stats and League Leaders - 3-Points - National Basketball Association - ESPN

But Donic is so good, I don't see how this trade ends up being a good one in hindsight for the Hawks.
Like I said I don’t think it will be good for the Hawks but I don’t think it will be nearly as bad as everyone is making it out to be. The way people are making it sound is that Doncic is the next LeBron and Young is the next Austin Rivers

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Like I said I don’t think it will be good for the Hawks but I don’t think it will be nearly as bad as everyone is making it out to be. The way people are making it sound is that Doncic is the next LeBron and Young is the next Austin Rivers

Eh, Doncic isn't LeBron, but he could be a HOFer. It's at least in play. He's almost assuredly going to be a multiple time all star. Young becoming Austin Rivers (he's a little underrated IMO) isn't that far fetched. It's a really bad trade.

The list of 20+ pts, 5+ rebs, 5+ assists in their rookie season...

Oscar Roberston
Tyreke Evans
Michael Jordan
LeBron James
Luka Doncic

Player Season Finder | Basketball-Reference.com

Last edited:

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Never thought Trae Young was anything special at Oklahoma. Streaky as hell and played next to no defense. Another in a long line of college freshman who probably would have benefited from an extra year or more in college.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad