GDT: DAL at CAR

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
This team is showing that it can win even when they don't play their best. Having good goaltending clearly helps, but they are a more confident group as well. They've played themselves into contention after a dismal December and, for the most part, are beating the teams they should beat, but the going gets a bit tougher now.

The teams they played from Dec 31 til now have an average record that equates to an 89 point pace. The teams they face in their remaining 23 games have an average record that equates to 93 points including games against TB, TOR, BOS, WSH (x2), PIT (x2), PHI (x2), STL and WPG. By my count, the Canes need to go 13-7-3 to hit 97 points which may not be enough, but should be close. 14-6-3 puts them at 99 points and I think is definitely in. If they take care of business against teams they "should" beat and win a few of these against these better teams, they can make it. I know it doesn't work that way because on any given night, any team can beat another, but talking more in generalities.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
I believe it's time for a trade. We have great chemistry but we aren't that dominate in last few games. We still need some help. Our schedule in March is nightmarish - Bruins, Jets, Blues, Caps/Pens/Flyers - all of them are all in. Just keep winning now, we need at least 3-1 in next four - against Rags, Panthers, Stars and Kings at home.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
It is time to cash in some chips. Send the extra 2nd and maybe a prospect or two out for a piece. On the low end Brassard seems like a good add in the Canes likely price range. On the highest end, add Mark Stone to this team and they become scary underdogs in any 7 game series. It's important to capitalize on this run and finally break the Playoff drought. If Dundon wants to make his mark he won't get a much more dramatic opportunity.

Ahoy there

Always in control of my stick
Nov 10, 2018
NC via WI
This team is showing that it can win even when they don't play their best. Having good goaltending clearly helps, but they are a more confident group as well. They've played themselves into contention after a dismal December and, for the most part, are beating the teams they should beat, but the going gets a bit tougher now.

The teams they played from Dec 31 til now have an average record that equates to an 89 point pace. The teams they face in their remaining 23 games have an average record that equates to 93 points including games against TB, TOR, BOS, WSH (x2), PIT (x2), PHI (x2), STL and WPG. By my count, the Canes need to go 13-7-3 to hit 97 points which may not be enough, but should be close. 14-6-3 puts them at 99 points and I think is definitely in. If they take care of business against teams they "should" beat and win a few of these against these better teams, they can make it. I know it doesn't work that way because on any given night, any team can beat another, but talking more in generalities.
looking through Pitt's schedule, it's pretty tough for them as well, especially if Murray keeps being shaky. I have dreams of 6th or 7th seed.

Hulkacaniac

You MUST
Jun 4, 2015
NC
Stone could be giant addition but i don't see we pay the price/ resign him in the offseason. Not to mention Stone/TT/Williams/Svechnikow as RW in next season? Won't happen.
If you could get stone to stick around long term, you don’t worry about maybe havin too many rw. I agree the price will be way too high for what we should be looking to pay.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
If you could get stone to stick around long term, you don’t worry about maybe havin too many rw. I agree the price will be way too high for what we should be looking to pay.
I still think Waddell would prefer good hockey deal - player with term. Something like Toffoli or Coyle. They won't pay much for rental though i'd love MoJo. Probably would look for EStaal.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Stone could be giant addition but i don't see we pay the price/ resign him in the offseason. Not to mention Stone/TT/Williams/Svechnikow as RW in next season? Won't happen.

If the Canes re-sign Williams then it should be as a role player in the bottom-6. Both TT and Svechnikov are left handed and can play both wings. Stone, Svechnikov, TT, Nino, Williams, and (Necas?) is a great top-9 winger group. If Stone wanted $9 million then that group is still affordable.

Canes are one of the last teams that should pay up for Stone on a rental gamble. But the Canes prospect/future pool might actually be one of the better fits for what Ottawa wants so the opportunity may be there. IMO a lot more likely they look to in the 2nd round pick range (Brassard, Zucc, Nyquist).

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Any rental has to fit in speed wise.

Stone is one of the worst skaters in the league

For that matter, so is someone like Joe Pavelski. Would I still want either player on our team if we could? No question! Canes should add someone at the deadline if they can, because any financial quibbles that Dundon may have at this time will go by the wayside the more that they win games. My preference, though, is Puljujarvi over a Senator rental.

Reactions: zman77

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I love how visibly pissed it's making Don Cherry. Like you can tell this dude is legitimately losing sleep over it.
It's not just him. The fact this is getting so many in the stuffy ivory tower of hockey elitism angry enough to discuss it is just gratifying on so many levels. The fact that thread on the main board has turned into a predictable 30 page diatribe on rehashing why so many hockey snobs hate that we have a team is just icing on the cake.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->