Confirmed with Link: Dakota Joshua Re-Signs (1 year, 750K)

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
GSVA - it's basically like WAR for baseball, but the numbers are lower. An amazing season for a baseball player is usually around 9-10 wins, for hockey an amazing season is like 4-5 for a forward and like 2.5-3 for a D-man.

For example - Sundqvist is projected as a .4 win player, which according to the model puts him solidly in 3L territory. This is from the Athletic at the beginning of the year:

View attachment 458653

Now remember, this is from the beginning of the year, and takes into account the previous three seasons to provide a prediction. So that's our year before the Cup (Missed the playoffs in the final game against the Avs), the Cup year, and the year we were top of the League until the shutdown.

Obviously this picture is pretty rosy compared to the way the season shook out. By the time the season was over, Barbashev was considered a .16 GSVA player. Here are the people closest to him:

View attachment 458654

A player with a 0.0 value for last season would be Antoine Roussel.

So yes, Barbashev is -slightly- above replacement level for last year , but not by much.
So Sanford is actually not that bad.

At this point I hope the Blues bring him back just to spite all the fans on Twitter that act like he’s the worst player to ever put on skates.

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
So Sanford is actually not that bad.

At this point I hope the Blues bring him back just to spite all the fans on Twitter that act like he’s the worst player to ever put on skates.

Well remember, this was a pre-season prediction chart - his actual GSVA for 2021 was just about the same as Jake Debrusk.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Well remember, this was a pre-season prediction chart - his actual GSVA for 2021 was just about the same as Jake Debrusk.
Yeah and I don’t want him anywhere near our top 6 and probably not the 3rd line either. But if he’s a 4th liner or spare forward for a decent price, I’d take that.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
A lot of arguing over a 12th-13th forward. I like having his big body around as a fill-in for injuries, plus he is actually an adequate skater. He is not a pylon. He is a 4th line/AHL tweener. I am fine with his contract for that role.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Honestly - I never want to see this man put on a Bluenote again in his life. He's under replacement level and does nothing well other then be big.
What (who) are you talking about??? If you are talking about Joshua, I have to disagree strongly. He's a terrific 4th Line energy player, who forechecks well, can play decently on the cycle, provides hitting and wears on opposing scoring lines, and looks out for his teammates, standing up for them when necessary. And he's on a very team-friendly contract. He looks to be a quality 4th Liner while he is young, and his body hasn't yet taken much beating. He also can help a little in scoring (maybe a little more than De La Rose).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->