Daigle and Yakupov

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
What I'm getting from this thread is that Yakupov is not even remotely as talented as the GOAT bust because Daigle at least was able to perform when he tried whereas Yakupov is putting in loads of effort with nothing to show for. That... doesn't sound very promising for Yaks honestly.

fmrdh

Mar 5, 2013
Daigle would rather be having fun with Pamela Anderson than playing hockey. I mean I love hockey but I can't really blame him. lol

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
In hindsight, he shouldn't have been the 1st overall pick. He had a lot of raw talent that made him dominate juniors, but his low hockey IQ prevented him from doing that in the NHL (to this point). His struggles have been exaggerated due to the team he's on, but those struggles aren't completely on playing with the Oilers. He never had the hockey IQ to develop into another Stamkos (like he was projected to be when he was drafted). Obviously, the Oilers had no way of knowing this, but he's a classic case of someone with a bunch of tools but no toolbox.

Could he still become a 40 goal scorer? Yeah, but it will mainly be because of who he'd be playing with. I don't doubt that he'd be a 40 goal scorer on a line with Malkin and on a PP with Crosby, Malkin, Pouliot and Hornqvist, but he'd only put up that many points because of how good his teammates are.

THIS.

I also don't think this is a good comparison by the OP. Daigle was a headcase. The guy had so many off ice issues, wound up with the fact he wasn't completely engaged in his hockey career.

Yakupov WANTS to become better. Completely different situation. He gets the typical "Russian" stereotype labeling but he's been ridiculously misused. Of course, being in prospect trash dump Edmonton doesn't help his case either.

Hopefully the guy comes around. Would be a good player to ship to a team with chemistry-relevant players, particularly one with a good PP. Get the dude to fire one timers off from the right point all game. Can't waste a raw skill set like his.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
daigle never liked hockey. yak seems (or seemed, can't really blame him tho) to absolutely love it

Last edited:

Ogopogo*

The thing about Yak is, he scored 17 goals in 48 games under Ralph Krueger as a rookie and was in the conversation for the Calder Trophy. That tells me there is some talent hiding there. Did Eakins ruin his career? I hope not but, ever since Eakins took over, Yak has been tied in knots.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
The thing about Yak is, he scored 17 goals in 48 games under Ralph Krueger as a rookie and was in the conversation for the Calder Trophy. That tells me there is some talent hiding there. Did Eakins ruin his career? I hope not but, ever since Eakins took over, Yak has been tied in knots.

This. Lets see what he can do with a real coach and real opportunity at the same time. The final month of the lockout shortened season he had that. One month, and we saw what he was capable of when playing with Hall on the top unit (because of injuries). Since that time its either been the occasional flash of opportunity (better line mates and PP time) but with Eakins coaching (who no one plays better under), or a potentially better coach (once Todd Nelson has full control and MacT takes a hike) but stuck playing with Pitlick and rookie Draisaitl or offensive void Lander.

People can take a look at the ice-time and say he gets his fair share of opportunities, but if you look at the line mates, look at the D incapable of moving the puck up the ice, and combine it with the player Yak is (more of a sniper), you'd see he hasn't been put in a situation to succeed at all.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
Daigle didn't want to play, Yakupov actually does. Both were/are on very bad teams. I think Yak's will to play is the difference, but who knows. I think he'd do better somewhere else.

This. Its also important to note, Daigle was a far better prospect than Yakupov. Daigle was hyped as a Crosby/Lindros type prospect.

Also, I think it's entirely unfair to blame Ottawa. Around that time we developed Yashin, Bonk, Alfredsson, Redden, Dackell, and Hossa with pretty solid success, Daigle was the only high draft pick at the time who didnt develop into a longterm player for us (besides Berard, who was dealt for Redden). Daigle was passed by Yashin in a big way, and with the huge emergence of Alfredsson and high hopes for Hossa, the writing was on the wall.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Yak hasn't been developed as poorly as people say. He's played minutes under Hemsky, Eberle, Purcell, Perron, etc.

The Oilers are simply terrible as a team. Nobody on that club is performing above expectations.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Every time I see Yak I don't think he looks that bad. But his stat line is. I think he'll be good next year.

I'd also add he was very good as a rookie.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Funny thing is Daigle probably had his best season at Yakupov's age... 26 goals and 51 points in 82 games... Yakupov has 4 goals and 8 points in his first 34...

Daigle didn't meet his expectations because he didn't have the passion and determination to work hard enough to reach his potential. 20 goals and 50 points should have been the floor for him, instead it was his peak.

Yakupov just looks lost.

Yakupov played Right Wing. The Oilers have since thrown him on to the left wing, then back to right, then left again, etc, etc.

They moved him back to left wing again because Teddy Purcell needed the spot.

It must be added that Purcell owns one of the worst plus minus in the league and is a soft player.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
Yakupov is in a similar situation to Turris before he was traded minus the up and down from the AHL.

I expect Yak to have success when he is moved like Turris. Sure, may never be the player he was expected to be when he was drafted (much like Turris) but he should be able to carve out a career as a top 6 forward. (like Turris)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->