better season?

• phaneuf 05-06

• dahlin 18-19

Results are only viewable after voting.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Easily Phaneuf. One of the most dominant rookie performances I’ve seen. Not much when on after that year though.

Reactions: AnimalFear

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Age has to be put into context. Dahlin is on track to have the 2nd best ever season for an 18 yr old defenseman in the entire history of the league.

18-Year Old NHL Defensemen - Regular Season Stats

I do agree that what Dahlin is doing at 18/19 of age is ridiculous, but at the same time Phaneuf looked like he was on the verge of being the next offensive juggernaut. Unfortunately, that's not how it panned out, and I am very certain that Dahlin is going to have the better career. He simply has more tools in his toolbox.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Maybe read the OP next time.

Phaneuf easily, unless Dahlin takes off as an elite defender suddenly.
I did read and suggested that age must be put into context here. What’s the point then?

What would the point be in asking who had the better rookie season between a 26 yr old Panarin and an 18 yr old Svechnikov?

I’d be asked to ignore age in that comparison too and I’d again suggest age can’t be ignored.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I did read and suggested that age must be put into context here. What’s the point then?

What would the point be in asking who had the better rookie season between a 26 yr old Panarin and an 18 yr old Svechnikov?

I’d be asked to ignore age in that comparison too and I’d again suggest age can’t be ignored.

The point is to compare rookie seasons accurately, not 18-year-old seasons.

Age is a factor, absolutely. So is pro experience. Both are quite reasonable to control for.

The OP (and more importantly, the Calder Trophy criteria) asked to control for (or ignore) age. I don't see why that's such a problem.

Walter Sobchak

Dec 30, 2015
Phaneuf was a monster his rookie year.

I really thought he was going to be an amazing NHL player. Haha, I was wrong.

Koivu11

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
I voted for Phaneuf. He was a beast when he entered the league.

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
Phaneuf was extremely hyped here during his rookie season, much more than Dahlin is now.

C4R105

Nov 9, 2014
I honestly think Phaneuf had better shot and hitting, everything else goes to Dahlin. IMO Phaneuf more hyped, Dahlin better player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad