Dahlin requirements for Norris.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Just finished a Tim Graham article discussing the possibility lightly.

Graham didn't put to much into in a mailbag type column.

But I was thinking, beyond fighting the inherent old man bias of sports writers/nhl guys, what would a realistic Norris winning season look like?

I suspect team wise, the Sabres need to be healthy into the playoffs, have won a couple of nationally televised games in sharp fashion with Dahlin at the forefront.

Individually I think he needs somewhere in the neighborhood of ppg. Even if he cleans up his defense a bit from last year, it will take years before pundits respect his game at that end, it's the nature of the beast.

But 80 points is hard to argue about. And if he can do that with 20 goals mixed in, I think he'd have a legitimate chance.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
he's not consistent enough so far to be in Norris contention this year imo. But assuming he matures a bit he'll prolly win in with the typical ppg stat line and some dominant streaks

honestly, if EK can win it twice playing in his own end like he does dahlin should be a shoe in for the award in the next 3-4 years. Hell, he's already arguably better defensively than karlsson and the offensive upside is clear

this year I just don't think it's gonna happen, considering how the award has generally gone to veterans for some while now

It would take a 90pt year for him to win it this early in his career

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Norris guys don't get benched the last 10min of the 3rd period, sorry.
19 year defenceman don't generally play in the NHL. [MOD]

How many Norris winners have the workload that Dahlin has at 19? The kid is a stud.

I get it, who cares if he is 19. He should never be benched because good players are never benched.

Last edited by a moderator:

ForsbergMoDo21

Feb 19, 2008
Rochester NY
There tends to be a lag with Norris voting. To have a chance at winning you have to be established as in the running for several seasons. Probably in part due to the fact that there aren’t (or traditionally haven’t been) many quantitative metrics/counting stats that voters can lazily look at and base their voting off of and so the Norris is one of the trophies that skews heavily toward reputation.

Unless Dahlin outscores every other defenseman in the league by like 20+ points, it’s going to be several years before he’s got a chance at a Norris.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Norris is also not supposed to be 'highest scoring' defensemen, it's supposed to be best 'all around' defenseman. ( The PHWA has moved the needle on this too far towards scoring IMO.)

Last non-high scoring defenseman to win the award was Rod Langway. Pretty much this is best offensive defenseman at this point.

Reactions: Jim Bob

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
Norris is also not supposed to be 'highest scoring' defensemen, it's supposed to be best 'all around' defenseman. ( The PHWA has moved the needle on this too far towards scoring IMO.)
You're probably right. But the reality we exist in now is one in which the award goes to the most dominant offensive dman. That's just the way it is

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Norris guys don't get benched the last 10min of the 3rd period, sorry.

Do they play something like 7 of the last 10 minutes in the 3rd period like he did the other night?

Ppl need to relax with these "benchings" .... New coach is feeling out how he wants to play

Reactions: N.Y. Orangeman

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
Sabres need to make the playoffs, last Norris nominee from a non playoff team was Orr (iirc)

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
In today’s NHL, the analytics mean nothing. All that matters is offense and being on the ice more often for goals for. So the critique of his defensive decisions, him being benched, and other things that people like to “study” and discuss about players doesn’t matter if the offense is there.

For Dahlin to win the Norris, he would probably looking at scoring more than a PPG, while defenseman in larger markets are much lower in points.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

N.Y. Orangeman

Mar 15, 2002
myspace.com
Do they play something like 7 of the last 10 minutes in the 3rd period like he did the other night?

Ppl need to relax with these "benchings" .... New coach is feeling out how he wants to play
Couldn't agree more. The 10 minutes on the bench is in that situation is invaluable.

Mike McDermott

blah blah blah
Apr 23, 2006
Lockport
19 year defenceman don't generally play in the NHL. [MOD]

How many Norris winners have the workload that Dahlin has at 19? The kid is a stud.

I get it, who cares if he is 19. He should never be benched because good players are never benched.
Sometimes messages need to be sent. Especially when they are young.

HappySabresFan

Jul 1, 2018
Probably around 75ish points, but the fact we can have this conservation this year and it be a completely plausible possibility is amazing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad