Dahlin/Mittlestadt vs. Hughes/Pettersson

Dahlin/Mittelstadt vs. Hughes/Pettersson

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
I have no horse in this race. But yes, Mittlestadt was better at the WJC and impressive in his time in the NHL.

Petterson wouldn't be the first guy who dominates on big ice but struggles with the transition. He definitely doesn't have a very strong track record on small ice - only 8 points in 13gp at the WJC (both years played on North American ice).

I'm not expecting him to struggle, but performance on big ice without equivalent dominance on small ice does come with a bit of an asterisk.

lol@ only comparing WJC stats to make your argument. Arent you the guy who said Gersich was a better player than Boeser? Lets just let time do the talking. I will never convince you out of your state of mind no matter what facts i bring up.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
lol@ only comparing WJC stats to make your argument. Arent you the guy who said Gersich was a better player than Boeser? Lets just let time do the talking. I will never convince you out of your state of mind no matter what facts i bring up.

What's wrong with WJC stats? Mittlestadt was also more productive at the U18, also played in North America. My only point is that he's yet to dominate on small ice. That's not to say he can't, but he's yet to do so in his limited opportunities thus far.

I said Gersich had the better season than Boeser - if you watched UND play in 16-17 you'd probably agree. But I never said that he'd be a better player lol.

Reactions: Tage2Tuch

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Pettersson is clearly more talented. There's nothing Middlestadt does that Pettersson can't.

You think Pettersson broke records by just cruising by? He didnt play with any special talent on his team. No one was near even a ppg. He has the best highlight reel of any NHL prospect. There's no argument for Middlestadt over Pettersson. I will admit they are close, but ones clearly better than the other.

Where did I say he cruised by?

Please don't put words in my mouth.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Where did I say he cruised by?

Please don't put words in my mouth.

Im not putting more words in your mouth. You said they are similar in terms of talent. Pettersson is clearly the more talented player. The only knock on him is his size. Pettersson didnt break SHL records because of luck or teammates. It was all talent.

If you said they are similar in talent, and they are the same age, from the same draft class...then why did one produce under a ppg in college as a 19 year old and one break SHL records? Theres no logic in that.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
What's wrong with WJC stats? Mittlestadt was also more productive at the U18, also played in North America. My only point is that he's yet to dominate on small ice. That's not to say he can't, but he's yet to do so in his limited opportunities thus far.

I said Gersich had the better season than Boeser - if you watched UND play in 16-17 you'd probably agree. But I never said that he'd be a better player lol.

Like I said, Im never going to convince you otherwise. Lets just let time decide whose better.

mattydamon

May 2, 2011
Victoria, BC
For the dude saying Mitts ==> EP and saying his game may not translate - if you compare all of the players who put up similar (yet lower) to EP in his rookie season, they are all/were all NHL starts. Guys like Forsberg/Nillson/Naslund/Sedins etc.

For me Buf is the choice here due to Dahlin and the fact this guy can play both ends of the ice, but it's not that huge of a gulf.

Dahlin > EP/QH > Mitts (imo)

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Pettersson is clearly more talented. There's nothing Middlestadt does that Pettersson can't.

You think Pettersson broke records by just cruising by? He didnt play with any special talent on his team. No one was near even a ppg. He has the best highlight reel of any NHL prospect. There's no argument for Middlestadt over Pettersson. I will admit they are close, but ones clearly better than the other.

The strawman game is strong with this one

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Im not putting more words in your mouth. You said they are similar in terms of talent. Pettersson is clearly the more talented player. The only knock on him is his size. Pettersson didnt break SHL records because of luck or teammates. It was all talent.

If you said they are similar in talent, and they are the same age, from the same draft class...then why did one produce under a ppg in college as a 19 year old and one break SHL records? Theres no logic in that.

Maybe we should wait until they are on a more level playing field? I don't think there is any clear gap in talent. Before draft day I said Petersson should go 2nd overall in 2017, so I am not some hater. I just think Mittelstadt has a very high talent level as well, and handles C better at the NHL level.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Hes clearly better than Middlestadt as of right now. Casey couldnt even put up a ppg in college whereas Pettersson broke the all time u20 record in the SHL. Theres no world where you can put Middlestadt over Pettersson as of now. You can say they are close, but Pettersson is surely ahead.

We'll see who does better then.

Mittlestadt was the MVP of the best tournament for the best of the best. Not just random EUropean players playing in a league and got 5 pts in 6 NHL games on a team that scored 198 goals.

Pettersen hasn't played a game yet,.

Don't be so sure.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011

Mittlestadt was the MVP of the best tournament for the best of the best. Not just random EUropean players playing in a league and got 5 pts in 6 NHL games on a team that scored 198 goals.

Don't be so sure.

This is one of the most ridiculous things ive ever heard. SHL = Random european players where WJC is best on best...

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
I really wish people would stop putting so much weight into world junior performance
They just don't understand.

I'm looking at you, Whiskey, and all you sabres fans. I don't know why everyone keeps bringing up a couple games in a tournament. Like... ???

Reactions: 6 Karlsson 5

Love

Feb 29, 2012
I really wish people would stop putting so much weight into world junior performance

I think many Canucks fans know all too well what happens when you put too much stock into a prospects WJC performance. Jordan Schroeder and Cody Hodgson were WJC legends and the hype was huge from Canucks fans largely because of that, but they obviously both were huge busts.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
People preach sample size all day long on this board. You can’t judge a player based on such a small sample size they say.

But as soon as this poll pops up, everyone is using World Juniors and a 6 game nhl stint as proof that Mitts is a better prospect than Pettersson. Like, really guys? I’ll take Petterson’s body of work (season + playoffs) over a few games in a tournament.
at least Casey has proven he can be productive in the NHL...you know the league that they actually have to produce in.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015

Don't be so sure.

Mittlestadt was the MVP in a U20 tournament.

If you think the U20 WJCs is on a higher level than SHL... I'm assuming you think half the players on the Swedish U20 team are dominating the SHL as well :laugh:

Reactions: thelittlecoon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad