Dahlin/Mittlestadt vs. Hughes/Pettersson

Dahlin/Mittelstadt vs. Hughes/Pettersson

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
Hes clearly better than Middlestadt as of right now. Casey couldnt even put up a ppg in college whereas Pettersson broke the all time u20 record in the SHL. Theres no world where you can put Middlestadt over Pettersson as of now. You can say they are close, but Pettersson is surely ahead.

Mittlestadt wa amazing last year everywhere he played except college, maybe that was due to his college team being bad more than him being a bad player. He was number 1 prospect not in the NHL from world juniors till the draft. He was the only player on his college team doing anything and won the team MVP with .88 ppg as a freshman who couldnt even do a pullup playing against older and stronger competition.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Mittlestadt lit up the world juniors and then put up 5p in 6 NHL games. He definitely came a long way throughout the year - wouldn't shock me if he had a better rookie season than Petterson.

World juniors plus 6 NHL games isnt more impressive than breaking SHL records. Sure, what you said wouldnt surprise me either. But Pettersson has an edge right now, even if it is small.

Tv9924

Sep 16, 2012
Surrey, BC
It'll be fun coming back to this thread some time from now. I have no problem with people who prefer Dahlin/Mittelstadt to Pettersson/Hughes, but to say that Mittelstadt is equal to Pettersson is just uninformed.

Reactions: mouz135

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
To quote Donald Trump:

"WRONG"

Recorded Donald Trump reading your posts...:

274289794ca5f25aa4789d203f7e9905f2aac449.gif

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
It'll be fun coming back to this thread some time from now. I have no problem with people who prefer Dahlin/Mittelstadt to Pettersson/Hughes, but to say that Mittelstadt is equal to Pettersson is just uninformed.

As you said...let time speak for itself

Reactions: Tv9924

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Mittlestadt wa amazing last year everywhere he played except college, maybe that was due to his college team being bad more than him being a bad player. He was number 1 prospect not in the NHL from world juniors till the draft. He was the only player on his college team doing anything and won the team MVP with .88 ppg as a freshman who couldnt even do a pullup playing against older and stronger competition.
Absolutely not.

Elias Pettersson was the best player in arguably the 3rd best league in the world. SHL >>>>>>>> university hockey.

Reactions: dim jim

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
World juniors plus 6 NHL games isnt more impressive than breaking SHL records. Sure, what you said wouldnt surprise me either. But Pettersson has an edge right now, even if it is small.

I'm not sure I agree. Petterson was better for most of last season but not sure he was at the end of it

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
I'm not sure I agree. Petterson was better for most of last season but not sure he was at the end of it

He scored 19 points in 13 games in the playoffs. Thats a higher PPG than his regular season... He won SHL playoff MVP too. After that he went to the WC as a 19 year old but broke his hand and had to sit out for the season.

5 points in 6 games is actually meaningless. The sample size is way too small to make any kind of conclusions. Besides, he was playing in meaningless games when they were already locked into dead last.

Last edited:

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
People preach sample size all day long on this board. You can’t judge a player based on such a small sample size they say.

But as soon as this poll pops up, everyone is using World Juniors and a 6 game nhl stint as proof that Mitts is a better prospect than Pettersson. Like, really guys? I’ll take Petterson’s body of work (season + playoffs) over a few games in a tournament.

Reactions: 6 Karlsson 5

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I'll be bold and take the Canucks duo.

I think Mittlestadt is easily the worst prospect here and though Dahlin is definitely the best, I don't think the gap between him and the Canucks players is as big as the prevailing opinion. But I'm really high on Hughes, had him 3rd on my draft board.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Mittelstadt is a perfect example of how much HF overvalues #s.

I’ll take the Buffalo duo by a decisive margin

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Prospect =/= current player, nor do stats = talent

You say this as if stats don't mean a thing or if their point totals are close.

You can say Middlestadt is a billion things. Being better than Pettersson as a prospect is not one of them. It's not an insult to be inferior to Pettersson as a prospect. I don't know why people don't just admit this simple statement.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
He scored 19 points in 13 games in the playoffs. Thats a higher PPG than his regular season... He won SHL playoff MVP too. After that he went to the WC as a 19 year old but broke his hand and had to sit out for the season.

5 points in 6 games is actually meaningless. The sample size is way too small to make any kind of conclusions. Besides, he was playing in meaningless games when they were already locked into dead last.

The only issue is that Petterson was doing that on big ice. I'm not so sure he'll translate as well to smaller ice surface. Mittlestadt looked like star during his stint in the NHL and was dominant at the WJC. It's not just about numbers.

That's not to say that what Petterson did was lacking, but Mittlestadt showed some pretty impressive stuff on small ice in the NHL, which is why I'm not convinced Petterson is currently better (I wouldn't say Mittlestadt is better either).

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
You say this as if stats don't mean a thing or if their point totals are close.

You can say Middlestadt is a billion things. Being better than Pettersson as a prospect is not one of them. It's not an insult to be inferior to Pettersson as a prospect. I don't know why people don't just admit this simple statement.

For prospects? They don’t really. At least no where near as much as their skill sets, creativity, frame, skating, work ethic and 50 other things.

Sure scorers have to score in their prime, but both are far from their primes. In a few years Mittelstadt could easily be the better player if we look at their talent and not just their current production *shrug*

Do I expect it? Not really, I think both have PPG talent and Pettersson is further along in their development; thus the safer bet; but suggesting it is outlandish is silly.

Maybe I just remember having to listen to too many people explaining to me how Monahan was a better prospect than MacKinnon too clearly; because #s...

Last edited:

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Petersson had better stats, but I think they are pretty similar in terms of talent. Maybe more importantly, I think Mittelstadt stays at C while I am not sold on Petersson. They are so close that only a season in the NHL could really tell us who's ahead of who.

For Dahlin and Hughes, though, the gap is considerable.

Reactions: cgf

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Petersson had better stats, but I think they are pretty similar in terms of talent. Maybe more importantly, I think Mittelstadt stays at C while I am not sold on Petersson. They are so close that only a season in the NHL could really tell us who's ahead of who.

For Dahlin and Hughes, though, the gap is considerable.

Pettersson is clearly more talented. There's nothing Middlestadt does that Pettersson can't.

You think Pettersson broke records by just cruising by? He didnt play with any special talent on his team. No one was near even a ppg. He has the best highlight reel of any NHL prospect. There's no argument for Middlestadt over Pettersson. I will admit they are close, but ones clearly better than the other.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
The only issue is that Petterson was doing that on big ice. I'm not so sure he'll translate as well to smaller ice surface. Mittlestadt looked like star during his stint in the NHL and was dominant at the WJC. It's not just about numbers.

That's not to say that what Petterson did was lacking, but Mittlestadt showed some pretty impressive stuff on small ice in the NHL, which is why I'm not convinced Petterson is currently better (I wouldn't say Mittlestadt is better either).

Middlestadt did not look like a star in his NHL stint. He looked like he belonged. Let's not pretend he dominated out there. He just looked good for his age. I cannot fathom how an individual can disregard the entire season for Pettersson and thinking it won't translate but look at 5 games for Middlestadt and think it will. That's as biased as it gets.

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
Middlestadt did not look like a star in his NHL stint. He looked like he belonged. Let's not pretend he dominated out there. He just looked good for his age. I cannot fathom how an individual can disregard the entire season for Pettersson and thinking it won't translate but look at 5 games for Middlestadt and think it will. That's as biased as it gets.
Sample size, breh. Soon as this poll pops up, the sample size rule is tossed out the window and 6 games in the nhl for Mitts is all people need to see he’s a superior player to the legendary season plus playoffs that Pettersson had.

Anyway, I’m done in here. It’s a clown show. We’ll see throughout the season who is the better player

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

I have no horse in this race. But yes, Mittlestadt was better at the WJC and impressive in his time in the NHL.

Petterson wouldn't be the first guy who dominates on big ice but struggles with the transition. He definitely doesn't have a very strong track record on small ice - only 8 points in 13gp at the WJC (both years played on North American ice).

I'm not expecting him to struggle, but performance on big ice without equivalent dominance on small ice does come with a bit of an asterisk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad