Dahlin is generational.

ramdm5

Jan 30, 2015
Sweden
With his two apples today, Dahlin now has the 12th most points by an 18 year old defensemen in league history... and he's only played 34 games.

On pace for 46 points, he should pass Orr and his 41 points for 2nd on the teenage rookie dman scoring list. That's pretty good.

It is good, or great rather. But the list (if I found all 18-year-old defensemen) is just 66 entries long, and only 24 of those played 34 games or more. I guess that says something about how rare young defensemen are in the NHL though. If he makes it to the top-10 for 18-19 yearolds then I'm really impressed.

How is his shot? Seeing he doesn't have a lot of goals.

PS. Heiskanen is also great

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Ive seen plenty of Sabres fans that wanted Dahlin benched.

Look for handles "tyler91" "mirofornorris" "finlandhockeyfan" and "yesitwasagoodgoal1999" all from Buffalo. All huge Sabres fans.

This post isn't getting the love it deserves. Well done.

Sansbacon

Sep 26, 2006
Westchester, NY
It is good, or great rather. But the list (if I found all 18-year-old defensemen) is just 66 entries long, and only 24 of those played 34 games or more. I guess that says something about how rare young defensemen are in the NHL though. If he makes it to the top-10 for 18-19 yearolds then I'm really impressed.

How is his shot? Seeing he doesn't have a lot of goals.

PS. Heiskanen is also great
His shot is his only real weakness as it is pretty average. It’s clear that he’ll be needing to work on strength and shooting a lot this off season. Once those 2 aspects of his game improve, he’s going to be really fun to watch.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Considering Dahlin is on pace to do something that has not been done in 35 years, yes he is generational.

The difference from 18 to 19 and D+1 to D+2 especially for a dman is massive. Dahlin next year will be nasty. 23-24+ mins a game and 60+ points.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Considering Dahlin is on pace to do something that has not been done in 35 years, yes he is generational.

The difference from 18 to 19 and D+1 to D+2 especially for a dman is massive. Dahlin next year will be nasty. 23-24+ mins a game and 60+ points.

I'm not saying he's not ridiculously good... But scoring is sky high league wide.

51 players with a PPG average. Three years ago there were five.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX

should not include Housley in 40 points as an 18 year old defenseman given he spent a good part of the year playing center

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I'm not saying he's not ridiculously good... But scoring is sky high league wide.

51 players with a PPG average. Three years ago there were five.

Pretty big hole in your argument: If Dahlin's scoring pace is a product of league-wide scoring going up, shouldn't there be some defenseman from previous high-scoring eras with similar achievements? Yet, there are none to be found. The only guy since Orr to crack 40 points as an 18-year-old was Housley, and he actually spent a good amount of time playing forward.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Pretty big hole in your argument: If Dahlin's scoring pace is a product of league-wide scoring going up, shouldn't there be some defenseman from previous high-scoring eras with similar achievements? Yet, there are none to be found. The only guy since Orr to crack 40 points as an 18-year-old was Housley, and he actually spent a good amount of time playing forward.

Isn't 18 year old defensemen going to be a pretty small sample size?

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Ive seen plenty of Sabres fans that wanted Dahlin benched.

Look for handles "tyler91" "mirofornorris" "finlandhockeyfan" and "yesitwasagoodgoal1999" all from Buffalo. All huge Sabres fans.

You win the thread

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->