Dahlin is generational.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
When's the last time you saw an 18 year old defenseman do that? Add video for proof.

I don't need proof, the proof is the fact that the LA Kings are essentially a team from a different era playing in the modern NHL, a slow as molasses team that is rightfully in the bottom of the NHL. This voids the video of Dahlin as very ordinary and not impressive whatsoever.

Post a video of Dahlin doing that against TOR, TBL, NSH, WPG, BOS, WSH etc and then we can talk.

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
Why the need to pimp out Miro in every Dahlin thread?
No dahlin is not Generational.

I was not aware that comparing one rookie defenseman to another who is on the same level to dispute the generational claim (because nobody is arguing Miro is generational) was considering pimping.

The reverse is seen in Heiskanen threads though as well, so I understand the annoyance when it's done without any merit or reason, but that doesn't seem to be the case here for the most part.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I don't need proof, the proof is the fact that the LA Kings are essentially a team from a different era playing in the modern NHL, a slow as molasses team that is rightfully in the bottom of the NHL. This voids the video of Dahlin as very ordinary and not impressive whatsoever.

Post a video of Dahlin doing that against TOR, TBL, NSH, WPG, BOS, WSH etc and then we can talk.

Lol at playing down an 18 year Dman playing very well in the NHL.

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX

Yea, that's stupid. Doesn't matter what team that was against, it was impressive and would've been on highlight reels if it led to a goal. Dahlin has played well and I'd like to see him get some PK time soon to so he can round out all aspects of his game.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Right!?

Show a casual hockey fan this video, and they'll say "cool, that was fun to watch".

Show a HFBoard member this video, be prepared to be lectured on why this play isn't that good, how if you took a player from the older eras and put them in today's equipment... and because other players are just as good, and that it's not that impressive.

Meanwhile 99.9% of the hockey world community would not be able to get past the neutral zone without tripping up.

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005

If it was Wilmitch Nymarner doing that against them it would be ZOMGBBQ!!

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY

He looked pretty good in nearly ever game...especially against Toronto too bad Girgensons didn't hit the net from point blank after Dahlin skated through 3 Leafs.

cardiffgiant

Continue without supporting us
Sep 28, 2005

Some generationally hot takes in this post.

Quiet Jack

Mar 24, 2017

There are no words to describe how stupid this post is

Aavvaa

Jul 2, 2018

Elite goal post moving

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
And Crosby wasn't the best rookie forward his first season. What's your point?
While I agree with the premise this is a bit disingenuous. Crosby had the best goal scorer of all time to compete with. Dahlin is not Crosby and it's not even close. He'll be a great defenseman and is doing quite well so far but I think it's pretty fair to say that the talk of "Connor McDavid on defense" was a little premature. He might still become that, but he has been nowhere near that impressive.

Nobody looks at McDavid or Crosby highlights and says "amazing for an 18-year-old forward". They're just amazing, period. Not sure why people have such trouble admitting this. Dahlin is great and will probably be a top 5 D throughout his career, bat least as of right now he is not living up to much of the absurd hype that was put around him. Many people were wrong (myself included, I thought he'd come in and torch the league).

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
While I agree with the premise this is a bit disingenuous. Crosby had the best goal scorer of all time to compete with. Dahlin is not Crosby and it's not even close. He'll be a great defenseman and is doing quite well so far but I think it's pretty fair to say that the talk of "Connor McDavid on defense" was a little premature. He might still become that, but he has been nowhere near that impressive.

Nobody looks at McDavid or Crosby highlights and says "amazing for an 18-year-old forward". They're just amazing, period. Not sure why people have such trouble admitting this. Dahlin is great and will probably be a top 5 D throughout his career, bat least as of right now he is not living up to much of the absurd hype that was put around him. Many people were wrong (myself included, I thought he'd come in and torch the league).
It's absolutely fair when the post I quoted says that Dahlin is disqualified from generational talk because there is another rookie doing as well as him or better.
That poster should construct a better argument next time so that we don't have to do these pointless rounds of posting.
Comparing forwards to defenceman is also inherently difficult since forwards do not need to focus on the defensive side of the game that early in their careers and can just focus on their raw talent that got them there.
If the OP's argument was that Dahlin looks to be a generational defenceman, meaning that compared to other defenceman he is doing things that has not been done in at least a generation or several, I would agree.

Reactions: Kamiccolo

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I've seen a number of defenders do that, lets also not forget that he did that against the LA Kings, the slowest and worst team in the NHL.
The video doesn’t really show a generational player. Ok, he held on to the puck and the Kings are too slow to hit him or even stick check him. Wow, Gretzky like. C’mon, he’s 18 and just starting. Let’s let the kid play and see what happens. He was a top pick for a reason. Hopefully he will get even better.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
It is nice to see some Sabre fans coming down to earth. Was getting tiresome hearing how this guy who never played a game was better than our #1.

Butt Ox

Oct 24, 2006
Luddite Island
It is nice to see some Sabre fans coming down to earth. Was getting tiresome hearing how this guy who never played a game was better than our #1.
I hope that "moment of clarity" for those Sabres fans is offset by the realization that they will have Dahlin to enjoy for the next several years. Dude is a beaut.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
He's going to be soon, that's for sure. Probably within 3 years at the most.

Is Dahlin a franchise player? Yes

Is he generational? Not even close

If he's the best D prospect in at least two generations (since 1973 according to Button), and still not even close to being a "generational" talent, it just reaffirms that Orr was the only "generational" D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad