Dahlin is generational.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
I guess everyone is talking about Karlson. But that means there are 4 generationals playing at the same time? Dahlin Matthews Karlsson and Toews.

Reactions: libertarian

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
There have only been like 7 generational players in history and you think Dahlin will be one?

Since Ovechkin and Crosby entered the league, the term "generational" has been en vogue. Consider that, prior to those two, there have been 4 players considered generational over the last 100 years: Howe, Orr, Gretzky, Lemieux. That's it.

Suddenly, Ovechkin and Sid enter the league and we've more than doubled the amount of "generational" players: Ovechkin, Crosby, Malkin, McDavid, Matthews, Dahlin.

4 over the course of history, then suddenly 6 more since 2005. Next Hughes will be, followed by Lafrenierre.

Personally, I think there has only been ONE generational defenseman ever, and that's Orr. Bourque, Potvin, Lidstrom, Harvey, etc. are not generational in my eyes, although they are elite, megastars.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
Since Ovechkin and Crosby entered the league, the term "generational" has been en vogue. Consider that, prior to those two, there have been 4 players considered generational over the last 100 years: Howe, Orr, Gretzky, Lemieux. That's it.

Suddenly, Ovechkin and Sid enter the league and we've more than doubled the amount of "generational" players: Ovechkin, Crosby, Malkin, McDavid, Matthews, Dahlin.

4 over the course of history, then suddenly 6 more since 2005. Next Hughes will be, followed by Lafrenierre.
Matthews is not generational and i would be hesitant calling Dahlin generational either.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Matthews is not generational and i would be hesitant calling Dahlin generational either.

Either is Malkin and maybe even McDavid, if we're being honest.

Crosby, yes. Ovechkin, I guess - he's one of the greatest goal scorers of all-time. But how much better than Bossy or Bobby Hull was he really? Neither of them are considered generational.

McDavid, Matthews and Dahlin all need to prove A LOT more to be considered Generational.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
People got mad when I said that Dahlin wasn't just the McDavid of blueliners, but a McDavid-level prospect on the blueline. He's just a joy to watch.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Considering John Garrett just said last game during a brosdcast that Pettersson was definitely going to win the Calder, I don’t see how you can say this.

I’m not saying that Garrett’s wrong but the absolute certainty in Garrett’s biased tone convinced me.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
People got mad when I said that Dahlin wasn't just the McDavid of blueliners, but a McDavid-level prospect on the blueline. He's just a joy to watch.

Well, in fairness to Dahlin, even if he ends up Lidstrom, Karlsson, Potvin, Hedman, Leetch great, he still won't be considered generational. Even Coffey wasn't generational.

Like I said earlier, "generational" has become code for "best player at their position during their career."

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
Either is Malkin and maybe even McDavid, if we're being honest.

Crosby, yes. Ovechkin, I guess - he's one of the greatest goal scorers of all-time. But how much better than Bossy or Bobby Hull was he really? Neither of them are considered generational.

McDavid, Matthews and Dahlin all need to prove A LOT more to be considered Generational.
I would say Mcdavid is easily there. And Malkin when he is on is better than Crosby and Ovechkin but he is way too inconsistant so i can maybe agree with Malkin not being there. However Matthews is no where close to being there. He is a typical #1 centre than alot of teams have. U dont see anyone calling Mackinnon or Barkov generational and they are both better players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->