Dahlin is generational.

Fredrik_71

Dec 24, 2007
Sweden
My God! Do not use the term generational for describing the best players ever. The term generation is a measure of time of approx 20 years. Why can not people understand this? Is it a cultural thing that I as a Swede miss?

Reactions: Jussi

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
So to summarize, the consensus is that Bobby Orr is the only generational defenseman of all time.

Dahlin is the best D prospect since the 70's, he literally has everything you could want and is already doing historic things that have only been done by like 2 players ever. If he's not generational we will likely never see one again unless someone puts up McDavid numbers on defense.

DobHoc

Oct 29, 2011
I have watched alot of Sabres games this year...just to watch him. He is so great words cant describe. There is nobody like him. He lays out big hits...defend as a champ...and when he joins the rush...those hands. Sure...there are mistakes here and there. But this guy is going to be a HOF.

Que the "Finns" and why "Heiskanen" is better!

Reactions: sabremike

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
I have watched alot of Sabres games this year...just to watch him. He is so great words cant describe. There is nobody like him. He lays out big hits...defend as a champ...and when he joins the rush...those hands. Sure...there are mistakes here and there. But this guy is going to be a HOF.

Que the "Finns" and why "Heiskanen" is better!
Everything you said can also be applied to Heiskanen. Well, maybe not the laying out big hits part since Heiskanen's game is a lot more focused on stripping the pucks with his excellently timed poke checks instead of throwing hits.

From what I've seen in Sabres games, Dahlin is showing he has more flair in the offensive zone than Heiskanen whereas Heiskanen is a lot more comfortable and flawless in his own zone compared to Dahlin, so there's that tradeoff.

Anyway, it seems like there aren't many Sabres/Stars fans who watch both players closely because most of the time the discussion seems to be how much better the other one is compared to other when they are actually so close to each other in talent.

Prospero

Feb 23, 2013
Buffalo
My God! Do not use the term generational for describing the best players ever. The term generation is a measure of time of approx 20 years. Why can not people understand this? Is it a cultural thing that I as a Swede miss?
I think the term is used intentionally because of its vagueness.

Even though it can be roughly defined, as you have, I think persons would rather have it ill-defined, because then it's something that can be argued about.

I hadn't heard the term used before the McDavid/Eichel draft. Two generational players was the hype. I blame the Buffalo sports media.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Then i guess Heiskanen is generational as well

This has already been hashed out, but Heiskanen is a full year older, and that makes a big difference. If Dahlin didn't play another game for the rest of the season, he'd be 17th all-time in scoring by an 18-year-old defenseman. What he's pacing to do over 82 games is practically unheard of. (Only Orr and Housley have scored 40+ as 18-year-olds.) And, in addition to scoring points and performing magic tricks with the puck, he's also steadily worked his way up to being the Sabres #1-2 D at even strength. A 19-year-old D producing at the level Heiskanen is is considerably less uncommon.

It's going to be a while before we find out whether Dahlin lives up to it, but I don't see how anyone can deny the kid's potential. Heiskanen looks like a gem, but Dahlin's got "special player" written all over him.

Reactions: avsfan09

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I always cringe when Hart votings get brought up to evaluate defensemen relative to forwards, but lets be honest here, in hindsight is there really ANY other player that's been active since he entered the league that's a clear cut choice to build around save Gretzky and Lemieux for obvious reasons. This obviously also apply to Bourque too, but I can't think of another player that provided such value over such an extended period of time. I can think of several other players I'd take for a playoff run, a year, a few year window, but build a winning team around, seriously?
I don't think at any given point in time, unless using hindsight you choose Lidstrom. He was never universally viewed as the best player in the league at any single point in his career. Early in his career, people would have taken guys like Fedorov. Later in his career, it would be Sid. But, it is rare for a defender to be the best and most dominant player in the league, which is why they don't win.

Look, its hard for a defenceman to win the Hart, but that doesn't mean it should be discounted. It's possible to win it as a defenceman, which happened during Lidstrom's career (Pronger's win). It was viewed as basically impossible for goalies to win until Hasek pulled it off two years in row during that time period too. The truly generational players are so dominant that they win these awards, regardless of position.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
So to summarize, the consensus is that Bobby Orr is the only generational defenseman of all time.

Dahlin is the best D prospect since the 70's, he literally has everything you could want and is already doing historic things that have only been done by like 2 players ever. If he's not generational we will likely never see one again unless someone puts up McDavid numbers on defense.
A more accurate summary would be that you won't know until the end of his career but people here continue to declare people generational and are silly enough to be sure their opinion is a fact.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
This has already been hashed out, but Heiskanen is a full year older, and that makes a big difference. If Dahlin didn't play another game for the rest of the season, he'd be 17th all-time in scoring by an 18-year-old defenseman. What he's pacing to do over 82 games is practically unheard of. (Only Orr and Housley have scored 40+ as 18-year-olds.) And, in addition to scoring points and performing magic tricks with the puck, he's also steadily worked his way up to being the Sabres #1-2 D at even strength. A 19-year-old D producing at the level Heiskanen is is considerably less uncommon.

It's going to be a while before we find out whether Dahlin lives up to it, but I don't see how anyone can deny the kid's potential. Heiskanen looks like a gem, but Dahlin's got "special player" written all over him.
Ekblad missed 40 points by one point four years ago, so I wouldn't call it unheard of.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Chris Pronger, Zdeno Chara, Drew Doughty, Scott Niedermeyer, Niklas Lidstrom, Erik Karlsson.

His name will be in that tier, obviously Lidstrom is the best and probably generational and not all those guys are equal.

Reactions: kundahlini

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
An inherent problem with comparing players today with players from even 20 years ago is that the quality of players is ridiculously better today. Nobody will question Gretzky or Mario as generational but the reason they put up video game numbers that will never happen again is that the competition was inferior and they were totally ahead of the curve in a way that is now impossible to happen. Watch a game from back then and you will see tons of guys who aren't very good skaters. These days a guy like Griffin Reinhart who would've been a very good player back then is a complete washout because he isn't a good skater. People need to appreciate the pure quality of players today and adjust accordingly.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
There have only been like 7 generational players in history and you think Dahlin will be one?

Gretzky
Mario
Orr
Lindstrom
Brodeur/Roy/Hasek
Crosby
Ovi
McDavid

Did I miss anyone?

Am a Leafs fan; and I think Dalhlin is just too good and borderline generational D-man.

To be seen I guess

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
I hope so for Buff fans. That would be great. I have only seen 3 games of him, and honestly he wasn't good in any of them. But that's only games. I haven't seen him enough. He has the pedigree. I hope he fulfills it.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
It’s worth saying that Bobby Orr scored 41 in 61 games, in a league that was even more low-scoring than the present. Only three players scored 70 points in the NHL that year.

And Ekblad scored 39 points as an 18 year old a few years ago.
Ekblad was a man child, tho. He was 6 foot 4 inches and weighed 216 pounds coming into the draft. Dahlin was 6 foot 2 inches and weighed only 181 pounds. They're not comparable at all.

Not to mention Dahlin's defensive play is beyond his years. Also, it wouldn't surprise me if he put up 45+ pts this year. He's already gone on one 10 game hot streak. It wouldn't surprise me if he does it again, especially considering he's getting more ice time.

One thing is for certain, Dahlin is proving he is one of the best defensive prospect to come out of the draft . I dont know if that makes him generational, but it does make him special.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
You really think hes going to match Howe, Lemieux, Gretzky, Orr, Ovy, Sid & McDavid? (Jagr you could also argue was generational but thats for a different convo)

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015

I doubt 9 months age difference between Heiskanen and Dahlin makes that big difference, especially when both players had pretty much a similar career before coming over to NA (by playing 2 full pro seasons before coming over).

Dahlin, despite being a few months younger, had the benefit of playing in a league that is style-wise much closer to the hockey that is being played in NHL, fast and physical. In Finland the game is still way too tactical and neutral trap zone based that makes it quite a poor development league compared to SHL, for example.

People also expected something major to happen between Laine and Matthews since Laine was 7 months younger but right now I think we can say that nothing has really changed between the two other than both players have become better at what they do. I'm sure this will also happen with Dahlin and Heiskanen and neither one will suddenly become so much more valuable than the other.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
While as a Sabres fan I can understand the OP and the thread title but I am reserving judgement until his first 3 seasons are complete to see where he will seat eventually. Emotionally Buffalo fans are getting invested in their new star rookie defenseman who went 1st overall in the draft, and I completely understand.

There are indicators already, only just over a quarter of a season in to his rookie campaign, just how much of a direct as well as indirect impact he is going to have on the Sabres.
He has made some rookie mistakes, but they haven't cost the team heavily. His ability to allow fellow defenseman Rasmus Ristolainen to reduce his game TOI to a more manageable scenario is paying huge dividens. His over all skill sets at 18 are definitely a cut above so many already. The fluid passing, nifty stick work, silky moves and strong physical defensive zone play are all indicative of a player poised to make a mark on the game.

Will Dahlin be a generational talent? He has all the tools and the toolbox. It's up to him.
As of right now, he's definitely a special, talented rookie defenseman who opponents must account for when playing the Sabres.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Dahlin is so generational that:
A) He's not even in the top 30 in defensive scoring
B) He's not even the highest scoring d-man on his own team
C) He wouldn't even finish 1st or 2nd in the calder if it was held today

Yup that checks all the boxes.

Dahlin is the most overrated prospect I've ever seen. Not surprising because people get dmen wrong all the time.

Dahlin is missing the shot and physicality to transcend his position. Damn good prospect, like Ekblad, Hedman, Bouwmeester, Jones were. But not even close to generational. What's wrong with people...

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004

Name the things that he's doing that are historic please.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Name the things that he's doing that are historic please.
For starters being on pace to be the 3rd 18 year old defender ever to register 40 points. For another: being a key piece in a team that finished dead last already winning nearly as many games as they did all of last season. People can quibble over the generational label but to say he isn't going to be an elite player is pretty much bath salts territory.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I don't think he is generational at all. There have been games where he clearly struggled and I refuse to believe Buffalo fans do not actually see this, or notice that in some games. If you call him generational then the bar has really lowered. To me it's like when the you know who's were calling and trying to sell Auston Matthews as generational. Please stop this notion right away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad