Dahlin is generational.

Kevs Security

inmateMack/CanesMack/LeafMack/elMacko
May 28, 2018
Toronto, Canada
Lol.

Crosby did 102 points at 18 and 120 points at 19.

The next one who Will do this is not born yet.....so he is generetional

He won the art ross and the hart trophy at...19...

And...we never really seen his real prime because he almost not played at 23,24 and 25 years old...
His rookie season was also the 05-06 one when top-end players hit ridiculous amounts of points. 7 players broke the 100 point barrier and 14 players scored 90 points. Also worth mentioning Ovechkin - who won the Calder over your precious 18yo Crosby - was 20 by the end of the season due to his late birthday and lockout year before. But I believe you don't really care about these things or the fact that McDavid was hurt in his rookie season and got two Rosses straight at the ages of 20 & 21, Mr. Crosbyshow...

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
His rookie season was also the 05-06 one when top-end players hit ridiculous amounts of points. 7 players broke the 100 point barrier and 14 players scored 90 points. Also worth mentioning Ovechkin - who won the Calder over your precious 18yo Crosby - was 20 by the end of the season due to his late birthday and lockout year before. But I believe you don't really care about these things or the fact that McDavid was hurt in his rookie season and got two Rosses straight at the ages of 20 & 21, Mr. Crosbyshow...

I was not talking about mcdavid....

First ovechkin was 20 at the start of the season in 05-06. They were 2 years difference in their rookie season.....it's huge at that age.

You said that it's nothing that he did 102 points at 18 that season because 7 players did 100 points...

Loll in the 80s a lot more players did 100 points per season and how many 18 years old did 102 points like Crosby did 05 -06 ???? Only one ...hawerchuk.

Look at sakic , yzerman , jagr's etc stats at 18 and 19 years old and you will see that what Crosby did at that age is nothing less than generational..

Jagr for example did 62 points at 18...
Sidney Crosby is a generational player ...like mcdavid btw .

Last edited:
Reactions: Dovahkiin

Brownies

Won’t this generational thing ever go away ? There are dozens of terms that could be used and create much less confusion. People try to fit reality into that theorotical box of an idea where magically every 30 years or I don’t know some magical player clearly better than everyone comes out and change the game. The NHL is not like that at all.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Dahlin will be a Norris candidate. Which is great. Generational?? Doubtful, I’ve only ever seen five players in my 50 years of watching.

Orr
Gretzky
Lemieux
Crosby
McDavid

Hm: Hasek (7 Vezina)

Reactions: dukeofjive

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
Ovi, Crosby, and potentially McJesus aren't generational? The 4th in my head was Malkin but who knows what he would have been on a top line so I suppose you can exclude him.

To me, no. Ovechkin is a generational goalscorer but not player. I see it like this- For a player to be generational you have to be able to make a, credible, case that he would be the best player in any given era- transcending generations. Crosby I view as a, very/if at all, slightly improved Mikita and I never saw any label him as generational around here. McDavid might be but so far his peak is not even clearly above someone like Forsberg(whom is not generational).

sessiroth

Jan 21, 2010
Toronto Ont.
How does his rookie season compare to Ekblads? I remember hearing a lot of the same talk back then. Not to be a troll genuinely curious

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
To me, no. Ovechkin is a generational goalscorer but not player. I see it like this- For a player to be generational you have to be able to make a, credible, case that he would be the best player in any given era- transcending generations. Crosby I view as a, very/if at all, slightly improved Mikita and I never saw any label him as generational around here.

I’ve always thought of it as players who could be considered the best player nearly every year of their career. Someone like Crosby has been in the running every year since he was rookie. If we look at generations of about 10-15 years, I would say Crosby has been one of a kind for that long. Orr, Lemieux, Gretzky, Howe, Crosby. I also think some positional exceptions could be made for Lidstrom and Hasek.

All of those players have something in common. They came into the league and added something to it. They brought something elite, and in Crosby’s case, at a very young age. They changed the game while they played, in some way. They didn’t just have elite careers, they are all the measuring stick for their generations.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
I’ve always thought of it as players who could be considered the best player nearly every year of their career. Someone like Crosby has been in the running every year since he was rookie. If we look at generations of about 10-15 years, I would say Crosby has been one of a kind for that long. Orr, Lemieux, Gretzky, Howe, Crosby. I also think some positional exceptions could be made for Lidstrom and Hasek.

All of those players have something in common. They came into the league and added something to it. They brought something elite, and in Crosby’s case, at a very young age. They changed the game while they played, in some way. They didn’t just have elite careers, they are all the measuring stick for their generations.

I rank Ovechkin comfortably ahead of Crosby all time so guess we just see things different. To me Crosby is "just another"(and that's no slight) Messier, Mikita, Trottier kind of player while Ovechkin might be the greatest goal scorer of all time and got a higher peak.

To me what you are describing is more like a superstar while generational is one level above that. I agree that Hasek might have a case, Lidström not so much. Now Jagr? Idk

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Overuse of term: check.

Generational to me, should mean at least once per generation of something. Meaning the guy should be the best, unquestionably at least at their position, for the length of a career. So say we call a career 15 years. If your guy is not one of the top 3 at his position for the duration, he's not generational anything. He's just really good. The difference them becomes when you start talking overall. That's the Orr, Howe, Gretzky, Lemieux talk. Those guys I would say are when you think about your life span as a hockey fan, who were the very best players you ever saw at a play. My grandfathers answer will be different than my father's or mine or my son's. The generational tag is something that should be applied after a player has stopped playing and you can weigh the entirety of their career. Applying it at the beginning is just nonsense.

bathdog

Oct 27, 2016
He didn't get nominated for one Hart Trophy or win one Pearson award. I don't get how someone can be labelled generational when neither the writers who follow the sport collectively think he's a top 3 player or their peers recognize them as the best player in the league for any given season. Lidstrom is an all-time great and an elite career with exceptional longevity, but he wasn't generational. I don't think at any point during his career, if you could take any single player in the league to build around it would be Lidstrom. He was always overshadowed by guys such as Hasek, Fedorov (early on), Jagr, Lindros, Forsberg, Crosby, and Ovechkin in that discussion. In Lidstrom's career, Lidstrom got a grand total of 4 first place Hart votes, spread over 3 different seasons.

I'd also say he's behind Orr and Harvey at a minimum. Also most likely behind Shore and Bourque. Then you can start really debating.

Generational to me (and I think it's intended meaning), is that a player is by far the best of their generation or expected to be. It is easily reflected through awards and status league-wide. I don't think it's positional. The only clearly generational defender post-O6 is Orr. For example, the clear-cut generational guys in sports right now are Lebron and Mike Trout. I don't think anyone would dispute those 2 have been the best players in their sport without any debate for a significant time. Now, you get Messi/Ronaldo, Brady/Manning, and Magic/Bird situations where two guys are just dominating their peers to a level that they both have to be considered as such, which is where Crosby and Ovi probably fall into (although, not as clear-cut as those prior examples).

I always cringe when Hart votings get brought up to evaluate defensemen relative to forwards, but lets be honest here, in hindsight is there really ANY other player that's been active since he entered the league that's a clear cut choice to build around save Gretzky and Lemieux for obvious reasons. This obviously also apply to Bourque too, but I can't think of another player that provided such value over such an extended period of time. I can think of several other players I'd take for a playoff run, a year, a few year window, but build a winning team around, seriously?

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
The OP stated he might already be a top 10 d? Come on. This is getting absurd. Hes clearly the greatest defenseman ever, in any sport.

Chukcha

Aug 24, 2011
mongolian steppes
As much as it pains me to say, Dahlin is a generational defensemen. 18 and already a #1 D in the league, perhaps already a top 10 D. In 2 or 3 years he is going to be a monster and as a fan of a team in the Atlantic he terrifies me.

Easily the Calder will be his and he will win many more trophies and sadly.. probably a cup or two.
literally the same i've heard about Ekblad in his rookie year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad