Dahlin is generational.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
Ristolainen shows more talent, in my opinion. He's your actual best defenseman.

Get a grip. Dahlin, perhaps, shows more potential.

Risto was pretty great last night.
Risto was outstanding last night, but I question your hockey analysis if on balance you think he is the best defenseman on the Sabres. Last night's game was his best one since probably the fall of 2016. 97% of the time he's brain-fart central, with an aversion to sound defensive zone positioning and transitioning with possession.

Reactions: crossbownerf

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
Generational players?

Orr, Gretzky, Crosby, McDavid

Dahlin is not on this list.

Neither should Crosby or McDavid(yet atleast) be.

Orr, Howe, Lemieux, Gretzky and arguably Hasek- That's all. FWIW I would probably have Gretzky in his own Giga Generational tier but that might just be me.

Ovechkin for example is a generational goalscorer but not player, Crosby? Idk maybe generational consistency but he simply lacks the peak and domination.

Last edited:

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
Can we just let the "generational" gollums have their precious generational tags so there isn't a thread for everyone who posts 6 assists in 6 GP?

Braydon Point. Generational.

Adin Hill. f***ing generational.

Prospero

Feb 23, 2013
Buffalo
Risto was outstanding last night, but I question your hockey analysis if on balance you think he is the best defenseman on the Sabres. Last night's game was his best one since probably the fall of 2016. 97% of the time he's brain-fart central, with an aversion to sound defensive zone positioning and transitioning with possession.
I'll defer to your judgement on this.

I don't know why I got so involved in this Sabres discussion. Earned myself some warning points. Lost my shot at the Lady Bing trophy.

Sorry Sabres Fans. Hope you're well, Flagg. Looking forward to a QEW series.

-Yuri

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Generational doesn't/shouldn't mean best of your era. To be generational you need to DOMINATE at your position for the 10 best years of your career - singular talent.

Too early to be calling McDavid generational come back in 10 years and maybe he or Matthews or Dahlin or whoever meet the criteria for generational status.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
I'll defer to your judgement on this.

I don't know why I got so involved in this Sabres discussion. Earned myself some warning points. Lost my shot at the Lady Bing trophy.

Sorry Sabres Fans. Hope you're well, Flagg. Looking forward to a QEW series.

-Yuri
Do I know you, Yuri, Sabres fan of old?

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
He's on pace to have an almost identical point total as Aaron Ekblad had as an 18-year-old....

Aaron Ekblad actually had a great first year though. He is also on pace to have the same points as Orr pretty much just saying. That said I don't believe he is generational but bringing up that he might have the same pts in his first year as a Calder winner is no slight.

Prospero

Feb 23, 2013
Buffalo
Aaron Ekblad actually had a great first year though. He is also on pace to have the same points as Orr pretty much just saying. That said I don't believe he is generational but bringing up that he might have the same pts in his first year as a Calder winner is no slight.
Unless that Calder winner is Tyler Myers. ;) I kid.

I'm done here, Sabres Fans. Very Sorry.

Prospero

Feb 23, 2013
Buffalo
search

Miss you guys.

th

Reactions: GellMann

Prospero

Feb 23, 2013
Buffalo
You too, I can't believe you're a LEAFS fan haha.

My love for Marner, and dislike for Pegula got the best of me.

It's not forever. These things change. Just not this season, 'cause Marner and the Leafs are so fricking fun.

New owner, whatever, and I'll drop those Leafs like a bad habit. All except Marner. Anna loves him something indecent.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
My live for Marner, and dislike for Pegula got the best of me.

It's not forever. These things change. Just not this season, 'cause Marner and the Leafs are so fricking fun.

New owner, whatever, and I'll drop those Leafs like a bad habit. All except Marner. Anna loves him something indecent.
Hahaha this is so great. Good to see you buddy, take care. No offense, but I hope the Leafs bring you nothing but pain and suffering :)

And SS misses you and regularly hopes that any zany new member is you in disguise

Prospero

Feb 23, 2013
Buffalo
Who here loves Mogilny?

I'm through with criticizing the Sabres! Brother Flagg has shown me the Light!
Looking forward to a QEW series, old school. Make it happen, Dahli!

WeeBey

Aug 7, 2009
montreal

Didn't mean it as a slight. I was just pointing out that his situation isn't THAT uncommon (unless you believe Ekblad is also generational)

And yeah he may be putting up the same numbers Orr did in his rookie season, but Orr did it in less games (assuming Dhalin keeps this pace for a full season) and it was, at the time, the best season by a rookie d-man the league had ever seen so :D

Prospero

Feb 23, 2013
Buffalo
Dahlin is going to go on a scoring spree now, and prove all you doubters wrong.

You'll just have to be patient, wait, and see. Then, and only then, after he drags these Sabres into the playoffs, only to be dispatched nobly by the Mighty Toronto Maple Leafs, will you be able to tell me if Dahlin is generational.

Viva, Dahli! Vamos! Kor!

ANDI P IS CUTE

Oct 7, 2009
Windsor On
Meh, we'll disagree about McDavid for now. No player is a generational lock after 3 years. Even Mario wasn't considered generational until he won a couple of Cups and dominated in the mid-90s. I will say that McDavid has the highest potential to end up a generational player if he plays a full career.

he wont win any cups.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Pretty low standards for generational players these days... McDavid was a top 3 player in NHL in his rookie season with constant displays of skill no one else has. Dahlin? He's good for his age.

Gabranth

#19 #88
Apr 2, 2009
Finland
Heiskanen is also playing his rookie season and has almost the same amount of points as Dahlin. Apparently he isn't too shabby defensively either. They play around the same minutes. Heiskanen confirmed generational!?

:sarcasm:

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Heiskanen is also playing his rookie season and has almost the same amount of points as Dahlin. Apparently he isn't too shabby defensively either. They play around the same minutes. Heiskanen confirmed generational!?

:sarcasm:

Also a full year older. It's very rare for an 18yo defenseman to have as much success as Dahlin is. It's less uncommon to see that from 19yo ones.

Only 2 18-year-old D in the history of the NHL have scored 41 points (Orr and Housley), as Dahlin is currently pacing to do. Only 6 have reached at least 30, and no one after that bested 25. Dahlin is already 17th all-time in scoring by an 18-year-old defenseman.
To compare: 13 19-year-old D have scored at least 40 points; 22 have topped 35 points (what Heiskanen is currently pacing for); 31 at least 30, and 5 more fell just 1 point shy of that.

Heiskanen's gonna be awesome, but Dahlin looks a cut above.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->