Dahlin- future leader?

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Nothin major, but saw this lil story and really liked Dahlin's attitude.

Sabres Dahlin tells AP he's better prepared for 2nd season

''I'm putting more pressure on myself. We're going to be a winning team and be in the playoffs,'' Dahlin said. ''I think everyone is putting more pressure on ourselves now, and we're ready to go.''

No hemming and hawing, no 110% talk, just "we're gonna win." I like the confidence. Obviously the talent is there, but I was wondering if anyone else saw him as a potential team leader in the future? I love Eichel, no problem with him as C, but having Dahlin as a vocal leader on the back end can't hurt. I guess a lot of times your better players end up being de facto leaders, but it's nice to see Dahlin transitioning into that role already and in such a positive way. I figure he establishes himself a bit more this year, then is the guy alongside Eichel in 2-3 years?

Dahlin is so much better than people realize. What he did at 18 was unreal. For his position, he’s really going to be a notch above Eichel when compared to competitors. There were screwups but his passing was sublime at times — if he stays healthy people will realize that he’s going to be a top 3 Sabre of all time. Big statement? Yes. But it’s there — to play like he did at 18 is what you need to analyze.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Dahlin is so much better than people realize. What he did at 18 was unreal.

Yeah, I don’t get why he is so underrated around the league.

You can’t even say anything positive about Dahlin without someone jumping on you to shout that Heiskanen is better. (Despite the fact that Miro is a year older and played on a much better team).

Dahlin is flying under a lot of people’s radars right now, but that will change soon. He’s going to be a top 5 D in the league, and pretty soon.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Seeing how well he played considering his age (a full year at 18), and knowing he was dealing with a new experience of playing the amount of games he did, at the level he did, while processing things most likely as uncomfortably as he probably did, I'd expect him to take a large leap forward, and by the end of the year considered a top 15 defenseman in the league. A whole new year without the craziness of the draft, where he can train full time, with a greater confidence of playing the league and with processing the game at a more comfortable pace, he's going to blow everybody's expectations away with overall game.

The offense might not be there in numbers, but his control of the game will be there.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
I want all the core players to be leaders. I think that's been a problem with this team for a long time. You can't expect a couple guys to do it. Some fading veteran isn't going to come riding into town on his white horse and take care of it.

They've had too many people over the years that did it because they were asked, not because they wanted to.

That's what seems to be different now.

Reactions: Buffaloed

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
I see an article on the main board (written from this same interview) saying that Dahlin “guaranteed” that the Sabres will make the playoffs.

lol talk about a click bait headline...

DobHoc

Oct 29, 2011
Not a Sabres fan...but i come in peace :)
Watched 10-15 games last season just to see this kid. Sure...he makes mistakes. But the way he can turn stuff around...and he so quiet. He really reminds me of Nick Lidstrom.

Future leader? Well...some might talk big infront of cameras...and some might screem in the locker room.....and some...like Dahlin/Lidstrom leads on the ice. Yeah, this is a natural born leader.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
Not a Sabres fan...but i come in peace :)
Watched 10-15 games last season just to see this kid. Sure...he makes mistakes. But the way he can turn stuff around...and he so quiet. He really reminds me of Nick Lidstrom.

Future leader? Well...some might talk big infront of cameras...and some might screem in the locker room.....and some...like Dahlin/Lidstrom leads on the ice. Yeah, this is a natural born leader.
Yup. He made 18 year old mistakes. This season he'll make 19 year old mistakes. We can live with that. At 22 he'll have a decent shot at the Norris.

Lidstrom is arguably the 2nd best d-man of all time. I think Dahlin might have that in him, but I have to give my head a shake even dreaming that at this point in his career.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Yup. He made 18 year old mistakes. This season he'll make 19 year old mistakes. We can live with that. At 22 he'll have a decent shot at the Norris.

Lidstrom is arguably the 2nd best d-man of all time. I think Dahlin might have that in him, but I have to give my head a shake even dreaming that at this point in his career.

At similar ages, Lidstrom was splitting time between the SHL and Allsvenskan. It wasn't until he was 27 that he made a post-season all star team and 30 for his first Norris win. It's possible Dahlin has a better career if he can stay healthy and continue to mature, which really is an amazing thought.

Reactions: SabresSharks

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
The Sabres will need to surround him with a competitive team, naturally, to get league wide attention, much less historical attention.

MrMaster

Apr 20, 2016
I see an article on the main board (written from this same interview) saying that Dahlin “guaranteed” that the Sabres will make the playoffs.

lol talk about a click bait headline...
When Dahlin says, they make the playoffs, then i believe him. Why would he lie to us?
I will go to his home myself and will hold him accountable if they don't make the playoffs, but that won't be necessary because i trust him.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
When Dahlin says, they make the playoffs, then i believe him. Why would he lie to us?
I will go to his home myself and will hold him accountable if they don't make the playoffs, but that won't be necessary because i trust him.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad