Dahlin and Hughes vs Makar and Heiskanen

Going forward

• Total voters

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Dahlin played in Frölunda SHL which is their pro league and Makar played in the NCAA which has far fewer good players than Sweden has. Had Makar opted to play in Europe he would be even better than he already is. So this age difference you speak of mean diddly **** in the grand scheme of things. Makar right now is better than Dahlin was at any point last season and this season, hell combined even. However please post more stupid **** about an age gap that seems to be your ONLY defense.

Then you throw Heiskanen into the mix with Makar and it really is not close whatsoever.

Dahlin played in the SHL at his age 16 and 17 seasons. Do you know how insane that is? At that same age Makar was in the Alberta junior league. I honestly have no clue what you're even talking about here you take such an extreme take it's not even worth debating with you. Dahlin had a very good rookie year for an 18 year old and looked much better this year before he got hurt. All this while playing on a clearly inferior team.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
Jesus when Makar cools off or has an off month will this finally die down? Hes awesome, and is playing great. To expect him to continue this pace for this whole season and his career is crazy, until he strings together a few years of it. I love watching him play

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
So are you guys just gonna have a poisoned punch party when it turns out that Makar shooting 23% isn't sustainable?

Nah, we'll celebrate when he gets it back up to 30%, where it belongs :naughty:
Dahlin played in Frölunda SHL which is their pro league and Makar played in the NCAA which has far fewer good players than Sweden has. Had Makar opted to play in Europe he would be even better than he already is. So this age difference you speak of mean diddly **** in the grand scheme of things. Makar right now is better than Dahlin was at any point last season and this season, hell combined even. However please post more stupid **** about an age gap that seems to be your ONLY defense.

Then you throw Heiskanen into the mix with Makar and it really is not close whatsoever.

Ehhhh, I dunno about that. Cale was a late bloomer and needed the slow burn because of how raw he was. Sure he tore the AJHL up statistically in his first season, but he wasn't nearly as dominant all over the ice as he became in his draft year; so I don't think you could've rushed that step. Same story with his NCAA career; kid was a star as a freshman but he didn't become simply dominant until he came back for that sophomore season...and if that phase in his development had been rushed, there's a very real chance that his growth stagnates & he doesn't become the spectacular rookie that he is right now.

So Makar's development arc was always going to be radically different from Dahlin & Heiskanen's, regardless of where they had been playing prior to getting drafted. I still expect Dahlin to separate himself when they're all in their primes, but these young studs are a perfect reminder that development is not linear & each prospect's dev. arc is unique.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Lots of polls on these 4 young defenseman recently so why not just add another one.

Would you rather have Hughes and Dahlin or Heiskanen and Makar going forward. All 4 have 2 years remaining on their elc so contracts are not a factor I guess.

That is going to be a massive massive summer watch. Talk about dominoes. Who signs first to set the market for the others. Man I hope someone signs this summer to start it off...

Reactions: cgf and bh53

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad