Dahlen and Goldobin

Fraser28

Jan 13, 2013
For as much grief as Benning (often justifiably) gets, he made a couple of excellent trades getting Goldobin and Dahlen. And look where Hansen and Burrows ended up. We basically gave up nothing.

- Who are you guys more excited about in terms of potential: Dahlen or Goldobin?
- What do you think is the ceiling for each?
- Comparable players?
- Will either player make the team this year?​

Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob

Nick1219

Mar 15, 2012
This is going to turn into a management thread real fast.

Before it does...

More excited for: Dahlen ... think he’s got more of a nose for the net and just looks more engaged out there.

Ceiling: On the fence for both. Could see each being a solid 50pt player. Think Dahlen is more likely to get there though so long as he finds some chemistry with Boeser or Pettersson.

Comparable players: Hate these questions

Make the team: Think Goldobin makes the squad. Dahlen starts in the AHL. Dahlen could use the time getting adjusted to the North American game while getting top line minutes.

Reactions: pomorick

lawrence

May 19, 2012
For as much grief as Benning (often justifiably) gets, he made a couple of excellent trades getting Goldobin and Dahlen. And look where Hansen and Burrows ended up. We basically gave up nothing.

- Who are you guys more excited about in terms of potential: Dahlen or Goldobin?
- Comparable players?

Potential it's Dahlen, although Goldobin is no slouch, he is a very high skilled player that needs motivation. That being said my gosh did he look good with Pettersson. It's like he's a better line mate all of a sudden then Dhalen, but I am excited for him too, but I'm not hoping they will become superstars or top liners.

Ceiling for each is a 2nd line winger offensively 50 points.

Comparables I don't know, Dhalen kinda remineds me of Mike Cammalleri, while Goldobin seems to have Mikael Samuelsson's aesthetics.

I don't think they will be full timers this season, back and forth between the A and NHL for both, but Dhalen will play in the NHL this year.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Potential it's Dahlen, although Goldobin is no slouch, he is a very high skilled player that needs motivation. That being said my gosh did he look good with Pettersson. It's like he's a better line mate all of a sudden then Dhalen, but I am excited for him too, but I'm not hoping they will become superstars or top liners.

Ceiling for each is a 2nd line winger offensively 50 points.

Comparables I don't know, Dhalen kinda remineds me of Mike Cammalleri, while Goldobin seems to have Mikael Samuelsson's aesthetics.

I don't think they will be full timers this season, back and forth between the A and NHL for both, but Dhalen will play in the NHL this year.
Goldy needs to clear waivers so no going up and down. He’s the type of player teams put a claim on. Young guy, 2014 pick with offensive upside. Another team will give him a shot.

I think better to keep him than a guy like Gagner.

Dahlen, likely start in the AHL given he played in a lower level in Sweden.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Goldy needs to clear waivers so no going up and down. He’s the type of player teams put a claim on. Young guy, 2014 pick with offensive upside. Another team will give him a shot.

I think better to keep him than a guy like Gagner.

Dahlen, likely start in the AHL given he played in a lower level in Sweden.
Goldy's been impressive so far in the pre=season and they'd lose him on waivers for sure if they tried to send him to the AHL. And if they decide that's the route they want to go and keep Gagner instead, somebody needs to lose their job in the hockey ops department.

Reactions: pomorick

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing

- Comparable players?

The Goldobin trade will only be excellent IF he actually turns into a full-time roster player. I love Goldobin’s offensive upside, but I worry about his defensive acumen and compete level. Hopefully, he takes a leap here. The offensive game and flair is definitely there though.

Dahlen is great! Love him. Obviously, he needs to prove himself but I love what I see. No idea what Dorian was thinking when he traded him for Burrows.

I can see Dahlen becoming a 1st line support player, but not an alpha. Goldobin still has an outside shot of being a good 2nd line player in my opinion.

These kids have a real opportunity here. If they show something in camp, roster spots will be created. How sweet would it be if ALL of Dahlen, Goldobin, and Leipsic made the team by EARNING IT and pushed out the vets.

pomorick

Aug 8, 2015
Watching Goldobin and Dahlen play all I can say is I am glad that they are Canucks property and look forward to seeing both of them on the Canucks in the future. Both are superior talents to most of our draft picks other than those picked top six or better. Both are superior to Shinkaruk and McCann who we picked in the first round. I would also say they are both better than Hodgson as well, but who knows how good he might have been if not for injuries.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
I have to say I still think Goldobin is a question mark. He definitely has talent but he still gets caught floating and cherry picking a bit too much. Still has work to do if he is to become a regular.

Dahlen on the other hand is the better of the two but likely isn’t NHL ready right now.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
For as much grief as Benning (often justifiably) gets, he made a couple of excellent trades getting Goldobin and Dahlen. And look where Hansen and Burrows ended up. We basically gave up nothing.​
Full credit of getting *anything* for Burrows at the time (without having to take a crap salary back) but he knew Hansen's game would fall off the cliff so quickly at the time.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

- Comparable players?
And don't forget the extra fourth rounder they got from the Sharks, which they traded for an extra pick and the chance to draft Petrus Palmu.

So it's Dahlen, Goldobin and Palmu for Burrows (bought out and now a coach in the QMJHL) and Hansen, who's trying to keep his career alive in the KHL. For all the brickbats Jimbo gets regularly on these Boards, you have to give him props for this one.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I think Dahlen projects as the better player long term, but I think Goldobin has a better claim to a roster spot coming out of this camp - primarily because of waiver eligibility, and it can be argued Goldobin has paid his dues, taken constructive criticism and responded to the coaching he has received since he arrived. I don't think Green wants to give up on him at this point in time.

It won't hurt Dahlen starting in Utica, either. The potential is there, he just needs to continue to develop strength and adjust to the North American professional game.

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
Goldobin should of had two goals last night and played absolutely remarkable and looked brilliant with Pettersson! As much as I wanted Dahlen to start in the NHL start him in the AHL and give him top line minutes. I believe Goldobin is going to really breakout this season especially if he shows great chemistry with Pettersson. Goldobin could get 50+ points this season especially if he shows his scoring prowess and Pettersson plays the way we think he will. Add in productive seasons from Boeser and Horvat and this Canucks team is going to surprise and could contend for the playoffs

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
From what I see now (although it’s still quite early),

1) Dahlen should go back to Utica. He has more potential than Goldobin in my opinion, but he could use one more year on the farm.

2) Goldobin has earned a roster spit and should replace Gagner on the team.

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser
Eriksson-Pettersson-Goldobin
Leipsic-Gaudette-Virtanen
Schaller-Beagle-Sutter

IF Gaudette isn’t quite ready, then put Sutter in that 3rd line spot. Motte or Granlund then takes that 4th line RW spot.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
From what I see now (although it’s still quite early),

1) Dahlen should go back to Utica. He has more potential than Goldobin in my opinion, but he could use one more year on the farm.

2) Goldobin has earned a roster spit and should replace Gagner on the team.

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser
Eriksson-Pettersson-Goldobin
Leipsic-Gaudette-Virtanen
Schaller-Beagle-Sutter

IF Gaudette isn’t quite ready, then put Sutter in that 3rd line spot. Motte or Granlund then takes that 4th line RW spot.

So what happens if Goldobin, Juolevi and Demko badly outplay Gagner, Del Zotto and Nilsson in pre-season? Will Jimbo and Green be true to their word? Will Utica have one of the most expensive payrolls in the entire AHL?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Dahlen and Goldoblin are comparable players...speedy,skilled snipers...It was tough to get a read on Dahlen last night,he had a very quiet game..Hopefully,he kicks it up a notch in the remaining pre season games.

Goldoblin has made a considerable improvement in his game from last season..He seems stronger,with the puck,and just his overall battle..The knock on Goldy has been his play without the puck..At times last year he seemed pretty clueless in his own end.

Right now,Goldoblin looks like the favourite,but early days yet.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Whatever happens with Goldy, it's interesting that he came out of the same draft class as Virtanen, drafted 21 spots later in the first round. But looks to have more creativity and a scoring touch than Virtanen will ever have. Or for that matter more talent than the other guy the Canucks drafted in the first round that year--Jared McCann--when David Pastrnak was still on the board.

Just goes to show that the back half of the first round in most drafts is bit of a crap-shoot.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
So what happens if Goldobin, Juolevi and Demko badly outplay Gagner, Del Zotto and Nilsson in pre-season? Will Jimbo and Green be true to their word? Will Utica have one of the most expensive payrolls in the entire AHL?
What about next season when benning and green would likely be judged by their place in the standings? Are they going to trust having that many pure rookies in the lineup when their jobs depend on being within 10 points of the playoffs?

Demko, juolevi, Hughes, gaudette, Dahlen, maybe Palmu or someone else and maybe if they get lucky J Hughes too. 6/7 rookies to put your faith into when your job is on the line or have egg on your face this year and try to move out the bad contracts.

Nilsson if he clears waivers you want a vet in the ahl in case demko doesn’t play well. So no issues there.

OJ likely to start in the A due to his back surgery . Didn’t get the chance to improve his conditioning.

Gagner if he clears he clears. May have to trade that deal and eat some contract.

Sunk costs. Demko costs $800k more at the nhl than keeping him in the A. Gaudette would cost around the same too. Is $1.6 million more not worth developing? Don’t get hung up by the salaries already committed. That’s sunk unless you can move them.

Remember they front loaded eriksson, beagle, and Roussel. So cash Flow not an issue.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing

My hope is that they are (true to their word). Both Benning and Green have stated that roster spots will be created for those that are deserving.

However - I think they will look at more things other than just pre-season performance.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Dahlen turns 21 in December and about to start his first pro season in North America. The sky is the limit. I am very intrigued by him as a player but he is still a mystery box.

Goldobin is turning 23 in October and entering his fourth professional season. He is no longer waiver exempt and could easily find himself in another organization by the end of the year. I think very little of him.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
I don’t like analyzing trades in hindsight due to things like this, I’m going to preface this by saying the Canucks hit a home run on the Burrows trade, it was excellent value.

I don’t think you’re analyzing the Hansen deal fairly though, the Canucks were trading a versatile ~40 point winger signed with term on an excellent contract. This player certainly had fairly high trade value at the time. Frankly I was one of the few people out of the Ms, Melvin etc crew who actually liked the trade, but categorizing it as some sort of steal is pretty questionable.

I think it was a fair hockey trade from two teams in different directions.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I don’t like analyzing trades in hindsight due to things like this, I’m going to preface this by saying the Canucks hit a home run on the Burrows trade, it was excellent value.

I don’t think you’re analyzing the Hansen deal fairly though, the Canucks were trading a versatile ~40 point winger signed with term on an excellent contract. This player certainly had fairly high trade value at the time. Frankly I was one of the few people out of the Ms, Melvin etc crew who actually liked the trade, but categorizing it as some sort of steal is pretty questionable.

I think it was a fair hockey trade from two teams in different directions.

If I recall correctly, MS didn't like the deal. He figured the Canucks could have received more for Hansen. I liked the deal however, as I liked Goldobin's upside and backside.

The Canucks got fair value for Hansen in my opinion. Hansen was similar to Eddie Lack, in that, his perception amongst Vancouver fans was considerably different than that of GM's of other teams. Other GM's saw Hansen as a good 3rd line player. Other GM's saw Eddie Lack as a solid back-up. Canuck fans obviously felt differently. As we saw however, both Hansen and Lack had their faces farted on repeatedly upon leaving, and their values plummeted.

But yes - in terms of if we won that deal, it all depends on how Goldobin pans out. I think Goldobin should earn himself a top 6 spot this year in Vancouver, and should put up numbers similar to that of Baertschi. If that happens, I think we can label this trade as a victory for the Canucks..........and yet another dominating and underappreciated performance by Jim Benning.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Whatever happens with Goldy, it's interesting that he came out of the same draft class as Virtanen, drafted 21 spots later in the first round. But looks to have more creativity and a scoring touch than Virtanen will ever have. Or for that matter more talent than the other guy the Canucks drafted in the first round that year--Jared McCann--when David Pastrnak was still on the board.

Just goes to show that the back half of the first round in most drafts is bit of a crap-shoot.

I don’t think that’s a fair or relevant comparison. It’s like comparing the historical Russian teams with Team Canada. Goldobin’s skill and talent were never in question but the “power” aspect of his game and his ability to play a two way game have pretty much been the reason why he hasn’t established himself as an NHL player yet.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
Goldobin is way ahead at this point - and understandably so with a 2 year age advantage, 61 NHL games and almost 150 AHL games.

If Goldy can play well enough without the puck he could push Dahlen to Utica and make things interesting w.r.t Leipsic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad