Movies: Da 5 bloods from Spike Lee

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
I only got through a third or half so far. It is an interesting work - Spike intersperses little clips of black history into the story almost as if he is annotating the characters attitudes. While informative, it does make the story itself seem pretty thin. Also, it is just poorly directed. It doesn't look well done. That said, I think(?) it is still entertaining and I think(?) I will go back to watch the rest.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Jasper Pääkkönen as Lauri Törni/Larry Thorne... Has he now become the token white guy for Spike Lee?

Well that was false information. Some Finnish medias... :facepalm:

I liked the movie in some aspects more that BlacKKKlansman. However...it was way too long. It got distracted way too often, somethings happened out of the blue because of that. Delroy Lindo deserves an Oscar for his performance. That man was in pain. Isiah Whitlock Jr's catchphrase was unexpected, even after the credits. :biglaugh:

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Da 5 Bloods is so on point with this particular moment in history that it seems like it was completed yesterday. As one critic put it, these are men who "risk their lives and corrupt their souls fighting for a country that doesn't love them back." All through the movie Lee makes the point that why do these men give so much and yet receive so little in recompense from a society that sees them as second class citizens who are less than equal. Lee makes the point, too, that is history seldom stays in the past but continues to shape, sometimes warp, people's lives in the present. The skeletons in the closet never really go away. I think Da 5 Bloods is a really important movie, and I think Lee directs it brilliantly. I see this movie as a companion piece and comment on what is happening in the streets right now.

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I'm shocked that Spike Lee would be on point when bitterness erupts over race :sarcasm:.

I wasn't really planning on watching this, but all of the praise for Delroy Lindo has me intrigued. I may watch it now for his sake, especially since it sounds like he could be nominated for it. I've always thought that he was an underrated actor, so it's nice to see him receive recognition.

Last edited:

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
Spike really swung for the fences on this one. Not all of it works, but it's still an interesting, exciting piece of cinema. Some of the stuff in it was so topical and spot on I figured it was added after the protests began.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Saw this the other day and it was a mess.

I couldn’t believe this was a serious film at first and went back to check to make sure it was Lee’s work. I honestly thought I remembered the title wrong from seeing the promo awhile back, and this was a Netflix knock off.

The plot was comical and predictable... the acting was poor, and I’m a big fan of Lindo... but this was so bad.

It felt like a low budget war movie a first time director put together with his buddies.

Kind of mind boggling the praise this movie is getting, but to each their own.

Miracle at St Anna was way more enjoyable and didn’t have me laughing every few minutes thinking it was some parody like Da Five Bloods.

Lee really missed an opportunity here with such lazy writing and directing...

Last edited:
Reactions: Osprey

Legend Leinonen

Apr 8, 2016
Finland
I think some of the praise this film is receiving is somehow politically and ideologically motivated -- because this really was a mess. Mind you -- I thought Blackkklansman was really good movie, and would have deserved Oscar over Green Book. But this is just a clumsy piece of cinema, where nothing seems to work coherently, much of the dialogue is just absurd nonsense, and the plot is straight juvenile with some political stuff glued on top with really bad glue. I wouldn't mind Delroy Lindo getting some Award for this, but otherwise this was clear miss from Lee.

Reactions: Osprey

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I think some of the praise this film is receiving is somehow politically and ideologically motivated -- because this really was a mess. Mind you -- I thought Blackkklansman was really good movie, and would have deserved Oscar over Green Book. But this is just a clumsy piece of cinema, where nothing seems to work coherently, much of the dialogue is just absurd nonsense, and the plot is straight juvenile with some political stuff glued on top with really bad glue. I wouldn't mind Delroy Lindo getting some Award for this, but otherwise this was clear miss from Lee.

This is the only thing that makes sense to me.

Just because the message needs to be said, doesn’t mean the delivery wasn’t poor.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Spike Lee and his politics are intrinsically linked. Like Chris Nolan and screwy timelines. Like Tarantino and women's feet. Like Tom Hardy and mumbling. Complaints about the presence of his politics or even more specifically viewers reacting favorably to his politics seem a little silly to me.

I agree with Vice's political POV but thought that movie was dogshit. I agree with Aaron Sorkin but for the life of me I can't figure out how he writes with his head planted so firmly up his own ass about half the time (you ever watch The Newsroom? BARF). Michael Moore is a sucky blowhard eventhough I tend to agree with him more often than not. I only bring these up to note that agreeing with a creator's politics and POV doesn't necessary equate to a good final product. There are probably others, but those all come to mind

I think Da 5 Bloods is one of the best things Lee has done. Is it perhaps overstuffed with story and ideas? Sure. That might be messy and jumbled for some. Totally fair. For me it was vibrant and alive. I don't mind folks disagreeing on whether or not a movie is good, especially with a divisive filmmaker like Lee, but to dismiss favorable opinions as solely being a political statement/reaction ... I draw a line there.

From a film standpoint alone I thought it was a fascinating mashup of visual quotes and references — most obviously Apocalypse Now and The Treasure of the Sierra Madre. A movie lover made this movie. Lee's riffing on classic war and adventure movies but he's doing it very much his way. I've seen those old movies. I've certainly seen some of these scenes before. But I don't need or want him to recreate that. I like his version. I want his version.

I thought the entire middle stretch with the gold and mines (being vague to respect spoilers) was incredibly tense. You kinda KNOW what's coming but I was riveted nonetheless. There's a specific scene there with Lindo and his son where the script merges an obvious history/political lesson with the urgent situation that I thought was fairly brilliant. Similarly there's a reveal later in the movie about one of the characters that's completely predictable ... but it didn't lose any of its power because of that. A testament to Lee's filmmaking and the actors.
That joyful nightclub dance scene early on in the movie might be my favorite shot I've seen this year (to date). Nothing political about that. The use of the Marvin Gaye music throughout also was great, particularly late in the movie when an acapella song is used.

Again, I'm cool with folks not liking a movie. Just don't reduce positive opinions to a mere political endorsement. There's a lot here to like beyond the politics. (I'm actually kinda tempted to argue that Lee has made his version of a Tarantino movie here ... but I think I want to see it again to see if some of my thoughts hold water ...)

Reactions: kihei

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Havent watched it yet but planning on it soon. Maybe even tonight. Trying to avoid all reviews beforehand to not spoil the experience. Also I love watching reviews after I already made up my mind. Its both fun when you realize youre completely in line with reviews (Alien: Covenant) and when youre completely out of step (Ford v. Ferrari).

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
Again, I'm cool with folks not liking a movie. Just don't reduce positive opinions to a mere political endorsement. There's a lot here to like beyond the politics. (I'm actually kinda tempted to argue that Lee has made his version of a Tarantino movie here ... but I think I want to see it again to see if some of my thoughts hold water ...)

I am of the almost opposite opinion. I think there is little to like beyond the politics - those are mostly what kept me in [the Marvin Gaye too]. It is almost like Spike put his stamp on a QT script and handed it to Adam Sandler to direct. The cinematography was not good. The flashback scenes were laughable - I don't think they tried to make them look younger until the end. The editing was all over the place. The mix of film media styles was a student project version of Natural Born Killers. Some of the references were so on the nose it was painful - Flight of the Valkyries? "We don't need no badges"? Really? As if the whole searching for gold bit didn't get it across? I don't want to point out how bad some of the acting is, because I like the 4 main guys and Jean Reno (not so much the son or any other supporting actors), and I forgive them for not being presented well. On and on... give it a few script revisions and a better director and it really could have been much more than it was.

Last edited:

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
The polar opposite opinions I'm seeing in here have me intrigued, might have to check it out.

In a way I kind of like seeing reviews that are all over the place, with most of today's generic blockbusters you usually just hear a chorus of "it was pretty good".

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Spike Lee and his politics are intrinsically linked. Like Chris Nolan and screwy timelines. Like Tarantino and women's feet. Like Tom Hardy and mumbling. Complaints about the presence of his politics or even more specifically viewers reacting favorably to his politics seem a little silly to me.

I agree with Vice's political POV but thought that movie was dogshit. I agree with Aaron Sorkin but for the life of me I can't figure out how he writes with his head planted so firmly up his own ass about half the time (you ever watch The Newsroom? BARF). Michael Moore is a sucky blowhard eventhough I tend to agree with him more often than not. I only bring these up to note that agreeing with a creator's politics and POV doesn't necessary equate to a good final product. There are probably others, but those all come to mind

I think Da 5 Bloods is one of the best things Lee has done. Is it perhaps overstuffed with story and ideas? Sure. That might be messy and jumbled for some. Totally fair. For me it was vibrant and alive. I don't mind folks disagreeing on whether or not a movie is good, especially with a divisive filmmaker like Lee, but to dismiss favorable opinions as solely being a political statement/reaction ... I draw a line there.

From a film standpoint alone I thought it was a fascinating mashup of visual quotes and references — most obviously Apocalypse Now and The Treasure of the Sierra Madre. A movie lover made this movie. Lee's riffing on classic war and adventure movies but he's doing it very much his way. I've seen those old movies. I've certainly seen some of these scenes before. But I don't need or want him to recreate that. I like his version. I want his version.

I thought the entire middle stretch with the gold and mines (being vague to respect spoilers) was incredibly tense. You kinda KNOW what's coming but I was riveted nonetheless. There's a specific scene there with Lindo and his son where the script merges an obvious history/political lesson with the urgent situation that I thought was fairly brilliant. Similarly there's a reveal later in the movie about one of the characters that's completely predictable ... but it didn't lose any of its power because of that. A testament to Lee's filmmaking and the actors.
That joyful nightclub dance scene early on in the movie might be my favorite shot I've seen this year (to date). Nothing political about that. The use of the Marvin Gaye music throughout also was great, particularly late in the movie when an acapella song is used.

Definitely gotta disagree here.

If you endorse the message behind a movie, it’s human nature to gloss over it’s shortcomings.

I know I’ve done that plenty of times.

However, while I believe in what Lee is trying to say, the film was so poorly done that I can’t pretend it was some masterpiece.

It’s as if he assumes since the message behind the film was so powerful, he could just get lazy with the writing/directing, and it annoys me because with a better effort this could have been a great movie.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I am of the almost opposite opinion. I think there is little to like beyond the politics - those are mostly what kept me in [the Marvin Gaye too]. It is almost like Spike put his stamp on a QT script and handed it to Adam Sandler to direct. The cinematography was not good. The flashback scenes were laughable - I don't think they tried to make them look younger until the end. The editing was all over the place. The mix of film media styles was a student project version of Natural Born Killers. Some of the references were so on the nose it was painful - Flight of the Valkyries? "We don't need no badges"? Really? As if the whole searching for gold bit didn't get it across? I don't want to point out how bad some of the acting is, because I like the 4 main guys and Jean Reno (not so much the son or any other supporting actors), and think they weren't presented well. On and on... give it a few script revisions and a better director and it really could have been much more than it was.

I disagree (of course), but certainly understand. Some of the references are absolutely on the nose but that didn't bother me. Mileage will vary for folks, obviously.

I also wasn't bothered by them not looking noticably younger in the flashbacks. The charitable reading is the old chestnut about memory — they're remembering themselves as they are more than as they were or at least envisioning a not quite accurate version of their past selves. Meanwhile Norman is idealized and perfect. That's not exactly subtle either but it worked for me. The uncharitable reading is that the budget was tight and maybe after The Irishman fiasco they just didn't want to cast younger actors or de-age them with CGI.

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
I disagree (of course), but certainly understand. Some of the references are absolutely on the nose but that didn't bother me. Mileage will vary for folks, obviously.

I also wasn't bothered by them not looking noticably younger in the flashbacks. The charitable reading is the old chestnut about memory — they're remembering themselves as they are more than as they were or at least envisioning a not quite accurate version of their past selves. Meanwhile Norman is idealized and perfect. That's not exactly subtle either but it worked for me. The uncharitable reading is that the budget was tight and maybe after The Irishman fiasco they just didn't want to cast younger actors or de-age them with CGI.

Right, but then to add the group shot at the end with them in wigs and makeup? As the kids say: *cringe*.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Definitely gotta disagree here.

If you endorse the message behind a movie, it’s human nature to gloss over it’s shortcomings.

I know I’ve done that plenty of times.

However, while I believe in what Lee is trying to say, the film was so poorly done that I can’t pretend it was some masterpiece.

We seem to agree politically so in this case you are saying you're rising above human nature here and I am merely succumbing to it?

I will absolutely concede that we're more likely to gloss over shortcomings for things we agree with, be that movies, music, books, people, etc. The disagreement I have here is the assertion that the ONLY reason someone would like this movie is purely political. I think that's b.s.

I laid out several positives I saw in the movie that had nothing to do with politics. You don't like those same things and that's cool. But don't reduce my opinion to being solely politics because it isn't. I'm an informed movie watcher and I'm quite capable of drawing lines between what I like in entertainment, art and politics.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I am of the almost opposite opinion. I think there is little to like beyond the politics - those are mostly what kept me in [the Marvin Gaye too]. It is almost like Spike put his stamp on a QT script and handed it to Adam Sandler to direct. The cinematography was not good. The flashback scenes were laughable - I don't think they tried to make them look younger until the end. The editing was all over the place. The mix of film media styles was a student project version of Natural Born Killers. Some of the references were so on the nose it was painful - Flight of the Valkyries? "We don't need no badges"? Really? As if the whole searching for gold bit didn't get it across? I don't want to point out how bad some of the acting is, because I like the 4 main guys and Jean Reno (not so much the son or any other supporting actors), and I forgive them for not being presented well. On and on... give it a few script revisions and a better director and it really could have been much more than it was.

The riverboat scene begs to differ. Gorgeously shot.

Spike Lee admitted they didn't even try to make them look younger, other than hair dye.

Apocalypse. Now. is one of the main inspirations why Spike Lee became a director. In addition to The Treasure Of Sierra Madre. And FYI, the script was originally written with white characters.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->