D Ville Heinola - Manitoba Moose, AHL (2019, 20th, WPG)

ijuka

May 14, 2016
No, and while he's not a bad skater, that's the only thing stopping him from being a consensus top-10 pick imo.
His skating is more than good enough to be a consensus top 10 pick IMO. In general, skating's the attribute that's easiest to increase post-draft as it's largely about becoming stronger and more mature.

However, have you actually seen Heinola's skating? Because he's not a weak skater at all, he's quite impressive.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
His skating is more than good enough to be a consensus top 10 pick IMO.

I didn't say he's a bad skater or that it's holding him back, just that if he was an elite skater he'd be a consensus top-10 pick.

For the record I'm very high on Heinola and would definitely consider him around pick #10. But he is not a consensus top-10 pick at the moment. Most lists have him ~15.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Usually "not bad" is a positive thing. But fine, he's a good skater, if it makes you feel better. :)
No, you said his skating's holding him back from being a top 10 pick.

It's very odd to me how you can watch him and determine that "he could be a top 10 pick but his skating just is too bad".

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
He's not a bad skater is almost equivalent to its not you, its me... kidding kidding, i know what you ment.
But its just, how you "said it" was the "problem" not what you ment it to be or not

ijuka

May 14, 2016
What about skating? Heiskanen has been able to transition to the NHL due to his elite akating. Does Heinola have the same elite skating?
That's not the reason Heiskanen's been able to transition to the NHL. It's his elite hockey IQ. Obviously, the skating helps. But it's definitely become the most overrated attribute for players nowadays.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
That's a negative you know.

You didn't say that he was a good skater, which he obviously is, he is actually more than just a good skater
No, you said his skating's holding him back from being a top 10 pick.

It's very odd to me how you can watch him and determine that "he could be a top 10 pick but his skating just is too bad".

I don't know why you guys are getting so aggressive. I've already said I'm high on Heinola and think he's a good skater.

Maybe I should have worded it differently. I think he's a good skater, but if he was an elite one, he'd be a top-10 pick on the vast majority of lists.

Again, I'm high on him and he's in consideration for a top-10 pick for me, but I think he'd be top-10 on most other lists if his skating was elite.

Sheik Yerbouti

Sep 12, 2008
I don't know why you guys are getting so aggressive. I've already said I'm high on Heinola and think he's a good skater.

Maybe I should have worded it differently. I think he's a good skater, but if he was an elite one, he'd be a top-10 pick on the vast majority of lists.

Again, I'm high on him and he's in consideration for a top-10 pick for me, but I think he'd be top-10 on most other lists if his skating was elite.

Ya not why why people are jumping down your throat. I mean this started by comparing him to Heiskanen who is an absolutely elite skater. Saying Heinola is just ok compared to Heiskanen isnt bad thing.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
I would hope the Canucks are highly scouting this guy just hope their not stupid enough to think cause is from the same place as Juolevi that could be a nother flop. This guy looks fantastic, would love him at 10, Id consider him top 5

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
I would hope the Canucks are highly scouting this guy just hope their not stupid enough to think cause is from the same place as Juolevi that could be a nother flop. This guy looks fantastic, would love him at 10, Id consider him top 5

Heinola's definitely elevated his standing as a prospect, but he still has a ways to go to be considered a top-10 prospect, nevermind top 5, and I'm not sure there's enought time left to show the scouts enough to up his rankings to that point.

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
Heinola's definitely elevated his standing as a prospect, but he still has a ways to go to be considered a top-10 prospect, nevermind top 5, and I'm not sure there's enought time left to show the scouts enough to up his rankings to that point.
There is enough time. If he goes lights out like I expect him to do in the U18s he will go in the top-10. He is the clear #1 D-man on a team who only want gold from this tourney and that’s it

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
Love this guy. Fantastic prospect and definitely would be an amazing pick up for any team.

If WPG loses in 1st round to St Louis, I would love it if Rangers managed to get him with the 16-20 pick they would get.

I would think he goes between 9-15 though.

Reactions: FinnishSniper

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Re his skating -- He's got good mobility and edge work and slightly higher than average first three steps, but he does lack top end speed and balance. My main criticism of Heinola is his lack of physical strength. Watching him playing in Liiga it's obvious he's just not strong enough at this stage in his career/life. But, he's just 175 lbs, in a teenager's body, playing against men.

All of those things should increase when he puts on lower body strength, but he's not going to get to Miro's level. As someone said earlier, that is an unfair comparison.

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
Love this guy. Fantastic prospect and definitely would be an amazing pick up for any team.

If WPG loses in 1st round to St Louis, I would love it if Rangers managed to get him with the 16-20 pick they would get.

Yeah it’s really unlikely that he’ll go after 15. We’ll see if he’s able to be the best D-man of the U18s

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway

The absolute best Winnipeg's 1st can be is #18. And for that to happen, Carolina and Columbus have to meet in the Eastern Finals and two of St-Louis, Vegas, Dallas and Colorado have to meet in the Western Finals.

Reactions: 5cotland

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
This kid's poise and patience with the puck is top end, good skater as well and good IQ, despite some ups and downs so far at the U18, he clearly looks like a top 10 prospect in this draft... I have him ahead of Broberg right now...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad