D Ville Heinola - Manitoba Moose, AHL (2019, 20th, WPG)

MMANumminen

May 7, 2010
Political prisoner
It's ok, he's so young. I'm just happy he stayed in NA and didn't go to Finland. Perhaps they call him up at some point when there are injuries. He belongs up though

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
That's got to be a joke... he's been very good for us. He was amazing his most recent game with an assist and plus two, being at the game I was just too impressed with him. Niku should be up as well, like I'm genuinely getting frustrated with the decisions.

Sure Heinola's defensive game needs work, I do agree, but I think he's good enough to develop in the NHL.

If Paul Maurice is coach by the end of the year and keeps making grade-A stupid decisions, we shouldn't even make the playoffs...
Honestly, after seeing Kotkaniemi go through the opposite last year, I can't tell you how happy I am that heinola gets to grow his game againt lesser competition, be happy youll have a stud on your hands in a few months.

Reactions: Plekatorz

RichBaster

Feb 18, 2015
Didn't he play 9 games? If he gets called up will it burn a year in his ELC?
He's played in 8 games so far so technically can play 1 more without burning a yr of his ELC. Its that 10th game that will cause it to burn that yr. Also the 40 games in a season is a factor too as thats the threshold for accumulating a season for UFA status. If he gets called up later, I dont expect they will have him play more than 30 additional games.

blink

Mar 6, 2002
Ontario
Probably the best for development really. Give him top minutes over there and he can dominate the WJC's.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Heinola has 0 points in 10 Liiga games so far. I thought he'd hover around a 0.5 PPG.

I'd love to read reports from people who have watched him in those 10 games - Is he simply playing well and not being rewarded or is there more going on here?

Reactions: EXTRAS

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Heinola has 0 points in 10 Liiga games so far. I thought he'd hover around a 0.5 PPG.

I'd love to read reports from people who have watched him in those 10 games - Is he simply playing well and not being rewarded or is there more going on here?
Should ask @Mrb1p, apparently he has access to Liga games... :D

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta

He is playing worse than last season.
Junior misstakes, losing board battles, fumbling puck.
Overall quite bad.
What is weird us that he does not really use his skating to bring puck up.

Dunno. Weird.

Reactions: Helsinki Hurricanes

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Should ask @Mrb1p, apparently he has access to Liga games... :D
Haven't watched a single game this year aside from Habs and some other NHL and AHL. Oh also some CHL/Super series, so no.

A lot of prospect websites stream draft year games, I caught about ten games of Heinola this way, but i guess the internet doesn't exist.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
He is playing worse than last season.
Junior misstakes, losing board battles, fumbling puck.
Overall quite bad.
What is weird us that he does not really use his skating to bring puck up.

Dunno. Weird.
How much of this is coming up late in a system ? Obviously not trying to excuse him and I didn't watch him at all but it sounds nothing like Ville. Sometimes its hard to just come in from being jerked around all year to a new team.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Haven't watched a single game this year aside from Habs and some other NHL and AHL. Oh also some CHL/Super series, so no.

A lot of prospect websites stream draft year games, I caught about ten games of Heinola this way, but i guess the internet doesn't exist.

You already mentioned that you were catching Liga games on the dark web and that you could watch Ylonen...

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
I would imagine it's really hard for some people to come back from the NHL to play in Liiga. I would imagine he'll improve a lot after WJC. Should get a good motivation boost. I haven't seen any games and I don't know him personally, so I am not sure. I don't believe he is actually worse player than last year.

Of course it could be a motivation issue too.

E: From what I read about him on from people who have seen him, he is a lot in a hurry and trying to do things really fast instead of thinking and taking it a bit slower. Definitely more NHL style of hockey and it's harder to get used to the slower style again. I expect him to have a lot better second half of the season.

Last edited:

Helsinki Hurricanes

Sep 6, 2018
Had the opportunity to see him live this weekend. A friend of mine who follows his team's games had said he had been quite bad for a while. Some notes and observations:

1) Lukko has 1D in Press and another stud in Tarmo Reunanen (NYR prospect). They are playing big minutes and in all special teams.
2) They are playing 7D regularly causing rotation on the pairs. However, Heinola was mainly playing with Nemecek and had no chemistry at all with him.
3) Related to the no chemistry, he almost always fumbled with his first touch to the puck. Partly because he expected the puck somewhere else / at different time and partly because he's playing nervous.
4) Aside from fumbling with the puck he had couple times where he was flying around the rink with the puck. He has the wheels but for some reason he didn't really capitalise on them.

Let's hope for a good WJC, it's usually a great confidence builder for the young kids.

Reactions: kylbaz and hn777

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Had the opportunity to see him live this weekend. A friend of mine who follows his team's games had said he had been quite bad for a while. Some notes and observations:

1) Lukko has 1D in Press and another stud in Tarmo Reunanen (NYR prospect). They are playing big minutes and in all special teams.
2) They are playing 7D regularly causing rotation on the pairs. However, Heinola was mainly playing with Nemecek and had no chemistry at all with him.
3) Related to the no chemistry, he almost always fumbled with his first touch to the puck. Partly because he expected the puck somewhere else / at different time and partly because he's playing nervous.
4) Aside from fumbling with the puck he had couple times where he was flying around the rink with the puck. He has the wheels but for some reason he didn't really capitalise on them.

Let's hope for a good WJC, it's usually a great confidence builder for the young kids.

How do you think robin press would fair if he returned to north America? Was an echl guy when he was younger.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
It's strange he hasn't played well since going back to Liiga. He looked really good in his brief stint in the NHL.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
It's strange he hasn't played well since going back to Liiga. He looked really good in his brief stint in the NHL.
Yeah but not that surprising though. It is a mental thing to come from the top to the "bottom" (NHL -> Liiga). It just totally different story mentally. You get the taste of the top league so you don't really want to go back to a lower tier league.

Helsinki Hurricanes

Sep 6, 2018
How do you think robin press would fair if he returned to north America? Was an echl guy when he was younger.

He has been really good this season. BUT that game he was playing bad. He was -3 when the opponent scored 3 or 4. This was mainly because of being too tired to skate from playing 26-27 minutes.

Not a real expert but I would say he would be decent at least at AHL level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad