D Ville Heinola - Manitoba Moose, AHL (2019, 20th, WPG)

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
What is a realistic upside for him? 40 points? Or does he have PP QB skills and flirt with 60 in his prime? Probably hard to say right now as he is just trying to adjust to the NHL but from watching him play, where do you think his current skills take him?

ijuka

May 14, 2016
You can 100% enjoy that but when posters like Ijuka, who has a history of CHL hatred, have to chime in you can bet your ass I'll be there to throw it right back at him. Learn to enjoy things without putting down other countries.
CHL is not a country. My opinion is that CHL players get overrated for drafts lately. You don't need to become so defensive about it that you need to make ridiculous statements like counting Ristolainen, a consistent 40 point D, a major disappointment. Right, and my initial post wasn't even about CHL, just listed major disappointments and their leaguesn at the time of their draft. It's not my fault so many CHL players have disappointed.
What is a realistic upside for him? 40 points? Or does he have PP QB skills and flirt with 60 in his prime? Probably hard to say right now as he is just trying to adjust to the NHL but from watching him play, where do you think his current skills take him?
40 points is probably lowballing it.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
CHL is not a country. My opinion is that CHL players get overrated for drafts lately. You don't need to become so defensive about it that you need to make ridiculous statements like counting Ristolainen, a consistent 40 point D, a major disappointment. Right, and my initial post wasn't even about CHL, just listed major disappointments and their leaguesn at the time of their draft. It's not my fault so many CHL players have disappointed.

40 points is probably lowballing it.
What do you see his ceiling as and why?

bebl

Jul 5, 2008
Finland
I don't care about whole CHL vs Europe thing, but there has been something wrong with scouting him.

Pronman: "When I would discuss him with NHL scouts throughout his draft season, his just OK skating would come up as a reason to hedge against him" These scouts can be product of Coreys imagination or they are just bad at their job.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I don't care about whole CHL vs Europe thing, but there has been something wrong with scouting him.

Pronman: "When I would discuss him with NHL scouts throughout his draft season, his just OK skating would come up as a reason to hedge against him" These scouts can be product of Coreys imagination or they are just bad at their job.

They arent entirely wrong. His speed has been shown to be a weakness against faster players. But at this point it's only against the fastest of the fastest that he struggles to contain. He also struggled against the Wilds heavy forecheck last night. So if he can get faster and learn how to deal with the more physical teams of the league he should be more than alright.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
You can 100% enjoy that but when posters like Ijuka, who has a history of CHL hatred, have to chime in you can bet your ass I'll be there to throw it right back at him. Learn to enjoy things without putting down other countries.
Fair. CHL is not a country though, but I understand what u mean.

bebl

Jul 5, 2008
Finland
They arent entirely wrong. His speed has been shown to be a weakness against faster players. But at this point it's only against the fastest of the fastest that he struggles to contain. He also struggled against the Wilds heavy forecheck last night. So if he can get faster and learn how to deal with the more physical teams of the league he should be more than alright.
Thing is that his skating is technically good, but he is not fast yet because he just a kid who needs to train his leg strenght and speed. As far as i know scouts are aiming for players that can bring upside for the team in future.

Reactions: Kiekura and 1OApick

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

His ceiling is as high as any offensive D out there. Why ? His head. Its going to be dependent on the teams he gets though, because he's not an overly physically gifted guy. Sweet edges, sweet shot, sweet hands, but nothing stands out, until you realize the kind of passes he can pull off and how he can handle the team on the ice.

There's one guy I've seen on D with that type of head for the game. Y'all know what I mean and, yeah, I went there.

Scouts are f***ing stupid, mostly, scouting and just hockey management is filled with friends of friends and its not based on skill or ability but on who you know, until they get this out of their head, they'll never stop the dumb drafting.

Ive made a lengthy post responding to the skating concerns with gifs Ive taken from games Ive watched... Its utterly ridiculous how scouts can't evaluate things like that. Hockey management are the only job in the world where actual nobodies could do a better job than the person employed. Oh, this and politics, most likely.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Still has another game to go but based on his play so far, is he staying past 9 games?

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Still has another game to go but based on his play so far, is he staying past 9 games?
Heinola stays. Unless Buff comes back over the next few days. Or unless Maurice is convinced waiver pickup Sbisa is The Answer.

Mark Kandy

Habcoolic
Jul 22, 2014
Montreal

He clearly deserves to stay past 9 games. That being said, I think they will send him down to the AHL or even to the Liiga.

Maurice loves his vets. Bitetto and Sbisa will play over him. It's disgusting.

But if the Jets think they will suck all year and have no shot at making the playoffs, then it could make sense.

I would personally keep Heinola and hope the Jets make it to the playoffs!

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg

That's got to be a joke... he's been very good for us. He was amazing his most recent game with an assist and plus two, being at the game I was just too impressed with him. Niku should be up as well, like I'm genuinely getting frustrated with the decisions.

Sure Heinola's defensive game needs work, I do agree, but I think he's good enough to develop in the NHL.

If Paul Maurice is coach by the end of the year and keeps making grade-A stupid decisions, we shouldn't even make the playoffs...

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
That's got to be a joke... he's been very good for us. He was amazing his most recent game with an assist and plus two, being at the game I was just too impressed with him. Niku should be up as well, like I'm genuinely getting frustrated with the decisions.

Sure Heinola's defensive game needs work, I do agree, but I think he's good enough to develop in the NHL.

If Paul Maurice is coach by the end of the year and keeps making grade-A stupid decisions, we shouldn't even make the playoffs...

Yeap, he's a complete joke. Almost like a bad irony that the guy they picked to replace Heinola (Sbisa) managed to injury one of their best players in the first practice. Not certain if Sbisa was acquired to replace Heinola directly but I would assume so. Not only did Heinola make the team better but he got replaced by an absolute garbage player which makes no sense whatsoever. The only thing I could even think of would be for Ville's own protection since he's not exactly a tank and is only 18 years old. Nonetheless no decision by Maurice really surprises me anymore. As a coach he's close to as good as Chiarelli is as a GM - probably the dumbest person on the duty.

Reactions: super6646

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Yeap, he's a complete joke. Almost like a bad irony that the guy they picked to replace Heinola (Sbisa) managed to injury one of their best players in the first practice. Not certain if Sbisa was acquired to replace Heinola directly but I would assume so. Not only did Heinola make the team better but he got replaced by an absolute garbage player which makes no sense whatsoever. The only thing I could even think of would be for Ville's own protection since he's not exactly a tank and is only 18 years old. Nonetheless no decision by Maurice really surprises me anymore. As a coach he's close to as good as Chiarelli is as a GM - probably the dumbest person on the duty.

Chevy has been bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuutal lately.

Reactions: super6646

ijuka

May 14, 2016

Makes sense, Jets D depth is so great that they just cannot fit in a guy like Heinola.

... Wait.

No but it does make sense, Maurice wouldn't play him so it's better to send him down to AHL: This isn't Chevy's fault, it's Maurice's.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Makes sense, Jets D depth is so great that they just cannot fit in a guy like Heinola.

... Wait.

No but it does make sense, Maurice wouldn't play him so it's better to send him down to AHL: This isn't Chevy's fault, it's Maurice's.
Best thing for his development. It's not like he's going to help the Jets make the playoffs or anything. He may get PTSD if he stays up with the big club all season long.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Chevy has been bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuutal lately.

He's definitely part of the problem by giving Pmo unlimited amount of rope while he should have been gone a long ago. Also I gave faaar too much credit for Chevy once upon the time for building the team they have today, but when you look at it closer the young core has been drafted by the team as opposed to being result of great trades. So there's definitely a question do you give the credit to scouts or the GM? Anyway who I once thought was a great person at the desk, now seems more like an average at best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->