LD Victor Soderstrom - Brynas, SHL (2019, 11th, ARZ)

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
He did play half the next season after his U18 season with a cage, though.

September 25th, 2008:
800px-VictorHedman2008.jpg

Reactions: theslatcher

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Playing with a cage has nothing to do with your birthday. It's the birthyear combined with the season.

Born 1990 in 2007/2008 = U18. Cage.
Born 1990 in 2008/2009 = U19. No cage.
I stand corrected. Had a brainfart, originally wrote about draft years, but for some reason decided to go with the cage instead.

Reactions: JimboA

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
If he's as good as Brodin then he'd be a great pick for someone. Is he as good of a skater?

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
I'd be happy if the Canucks took him at 10. Looks pretty raw, but good on defense and pretty big potential offensively.
Can anyone expand on this aspect of his game?

Most talk about him revolves around his defensive game, as someone said above - not unlike Hampus Lindholm.. Is there PP1 potential here? Or is he destined to be a 2 way stalwart?

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017

Most talk about him revolves around his defensive game, as someone said above - not unlike Hampus Lindholm.. Is there PP1 potential here? Or is he destined to be a 2 way stalwart?

People may disagree with me, but I think he is similar to Joulevi. Not a great shot, but very strong passer, confident with the puck and can break out of his zone very well. Not physical, but not shy either. Plays right D and is a very good skater.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017

He put up points at a good rate in J18, circumstances precluded his doing it in the SHL. Didn’t exactly light it up in J20 playoffs.

U18 is his chance to flash his O skill set.

Feb 19, 2018
I think he'd be a fantastic pick for the Canucks at 10.

Shutdown RHD to be the Ying to Quinn Hughes reckless offensive Yang.

I agree he’s be a great pick for them but that pairing would be very small. Jett Woo is the partner for Quinn

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
What is raw about Soderstrom? If he has some similarities to Brodin, then he should be very polished defensively and ready to go at 19 or 20.

Reactions: VictorLustig

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
What is raw about Soderstrom? If he has some similarities to Brodin, then he should be very polished defensively and ready to go at 19 or 20.

Yeah, Söderström is not raw. I think he could play some games in the NHL as soon as next season. It would obviously depend on which team drafts him.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
I dont know if the Canucks are going to be interested in Soderstorm.

They have identified Stecher as part of their core and he isnt exactly the biggest guy either, add that to th fact that Hughes will be anchoring that defence for the next decade.

I think if at 10 Soderstorm is head and shoulder the BPA then yes Canucks will get him.....but if they Tier Soderstorm with other players like Boldy Broberg Krebs etc.. then I think they will factor in the fact they have smallish guys already on their core

Reactions: Stardustforever

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Yeah, Söderström is not raw. I think he could play some games in the NHL as soon as next season. It would obviously depend on which team drafts him.
Sounds like he might be a really good player. If the Wild weren't so loaded in their top4(and our idiot GM hadn't drafted F. Johansson in the 1st round last year) then he would be a good pick.
I think it would be best if he stays in the SHL for next year, and go from there. Brodin was really unusual in playing successfully in the NHL at 19yo. Most Dman need more time. It's usually the defensive part that trips young dmen up. Guys ike Brodin and Jones were successful because they were either sheltered, or mentored by better talents(i.e. Suter) .

Last edited:

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
I think he is my guy for the Canucks at 10 unless one of Podkolzin, Turcotte or Zegras drop, which is looking unlikely. Soderstrom, Hughes and Joulevi would give us 3 young Dmen who are very good puck movers, and allow us to put one on each pairing.

Reactions: Disappointed EP40

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
Haven’t been too impressed with him after his 2 first games. I would be ok with him after 15 but nowhere near pick 10, doesn’t have the upside in my opinion. Anyone else have any thoughts?

dirtydantheflyersman

Aug 31, 2018
Philadelphia
Haven’t been too impressed with him after his 2 first games. I would be ok with him after 15 but nowhere near pick 10, doesn’t have the upside in my opinion. Anyone else have any thoughts?
Agreed 100%. Don't see anything that makes him stand out other than his skating which is fairly strong. His positioning and awareness in the offensive zone is lacking and he's not a strong PPQB. He looks to be a solid defender but I can't see him becoming a top pairing dman, the tools just aren't there.

Reactions: Nabrules

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->