RD Victor Soderstrom (2019, 11th, ARZ)

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Söderström has a 0.2ppg, Seider has 0.16. So, yes, outscoring in raw numbers, & ppg numbers.

I think it's worth adding that Söderström is better defensively than offensively.

Soderstrom has had pretty strong numbers with Brynas and throughout his young career at every level he's played, but the difference between him and Seider has more to do with the quality of their respective tools than it has to do with points.

Put simply, Seider has much better physical tools, MUCH better balance and hit-absorption (a weakness of Soderstrom's while Seider would be above-average for the NHL right now at 18), a taller and more robust frame, plays a much tougher and gritier type of game, similar skating (although I think Soderstrom is slightly better overall, with better edges and agility) and a better arsenal of shots to go with a pretty well-refined defensive skillset (right now I'd pretty easily give him the edge defensively over Soderstrom).

So, while Soderstrom probably has better potential to eventually become a true #1 defenseman, Seider has a very slightly lesser ultimate ceiling but will probably transition his game much more easily from Germany to North America (AKA much lower bust potential) hence me (and quite a few others) ranking him higher on our draft lists.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Söderström or Broberg? I've seen Broberg go quickly on a lot of draft lists, but personally I think I prefer Söderström's game from the little I've seen of these two players.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
He might be the one downside of the Avs sliding down the rankings right now. If we end up in the 8-13 range, he might just be there and he is exactly what the Avs need with EJ and Barrie being big questionmarks and Zadorov rumored to be on the tradeblock.

I wouldn't want to take him with the Ottawa 1st rounder because the Avs desperately need to land one of the top centers with it but if Victor would fall into the lap of the Avs and their second 1st rounder, it would be amazing.

I am not sure if he has legit #1 potential but I think he will be one heck of a dman regardless.

I would probably take Byram over him but IMO he is the clear #2 D in this draft right now.
I like him better than Broberg personally.

My fellow countryman Seider might be somewhat in the vicinity but his injuries scare me.

Reactions: BKarchitect

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Söderström or Broberg? I've seen Broberg go quickly on a lot of draft lists, but personally I think I prefer Söderström's game from the little I've seen of these two players.
Soderstrom for sure. Broberg is a defensive liability and his offense doesn't make up for it.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
He might be the one downside of the Avs sliding down the rankings right now. If we end up in the 8-13 range, he might just be there and he is exactly what the Avs need with EJ and Barrie being big questionmarks and Zadorov rumored to be on the tradeblock.

I wouldn't want to take him with the Ottawa 1st rounder because the Avs desperately need to land one of the top centers with it but if Victor would fall into the lap of the Avs and their second 1st rounder, it would be amazing.

I am not sure if he has legit #1 potential but I think he will be one heck of a dman regardless.

I would probably take Byram over him but IMO he is the clear #2 D in this draft right now.
I like him better than Broberg personally.

My fellow countryman Seider might be somewhat in the vicinity but his injuries scare me.

Totally on board but wouldn’t he be an upside not a downside to the Avs sucks he recently? :D

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Brodin spent most of his time on the bottom pairing in his draft year didn't he? Adam Larsson also spent some time in the top 4 in his draft year.

As for consistent top 4'ers there's Hedman.
Not sure about that. I know he was listed as playing 3 games as a 16yo. There probably was some movement back and forth...these things don't happen in a vacuum. Part of it depends on who else is on your team. I believe Brodin's SEL team won it all when he was 17/18.

Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled programming.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Not sure about that. I know he was listed as playing 3 games as a 16yo. There probably was some movement back and forth...these things don't happen in a vacuum. Part of it depends on who else is on your team. I believe Brodin's SEL team won it all when he was 17/18.

Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Maybe I'm forgetting someone but Larsson, Brodin, Dahlin and Söderström are the only defensemen I can think of who had solidified themselves as SHL players while playing with a cage. Brodin was very impressive when Färjestad won gold.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012

Hedman is borderline. He was 17th on his team in icetime and in some games he barely played. He, like Larsson, was a late birthday in his U18 year though which makes comparisons to the other players more complicated.

Last edited:

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Hedman is borderline. He was 17th on his team in icetime and in some games he barely played. He, like Larsson, was a late birthday in his U18 year though which makes comparisons to the other players more complicated.
He did play half the next season after his U18 season with a cage, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad