RD Victor Soderstrom (2019, 11th, ARZ)

Westcoastsniper

Sep 25, 2008
Anyone know what he's projecting to be at the NHL level? Top 4 or can he be a #2 two-way 40-50 point dman?

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Can people comment on his offensive upside?

He's putting up Liljegren-esque numbers in the SHL. Not easy to do, but it's hard to project his offense with smaller rates of production. From what little I have seen of his play, he doesn't seem aggressive offensively. To compare him to say Adam Boqvist, AB is is aggressive enough with his shot to be a double digit scorer in J20 Super Elit and a G/PG defender in J18 Elit. Soderstrom hasn't shown that quality at any level. Though he seems a more balanced defender overall.

helax

General Hockey Fan
Apr 2, 2013
Can people comment on his offensive upside?

He's putting up Liljegren-esque numbers in the SHL. Not easy to do, but it's hard to project his offense with smaller rates of production. From what little I have seen of his play, he doesn't seem aggressive offensively. To compare him to say Adam Boqvist, AB is is aggressive enough with his shot to be a double digit scorer in J20 Super Elit and a G/PG defender in J18 Elit. Soderstrom hasn't shown that quality at any level. Though he seems a more balanced defender overall.

I would compare him to Ekholm but with a bit more offensive flair, he carries the puck up the ice. He's very mature and calm for his age and is often used as the last penalty during a shootout or the first one for sudden death shootouts. The way he plays physical at his age against men is remarkable in my opinion.

Last edited:

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
I think he definitely has 1-3 potential but no one really has a floor of a 4D. Anyone can bust if things go wrong.

Could potentially be a draft target for the Jets if they don’t trade their 1st at the deadline or if they snag a 1st in any potential Trouba deal.

If/when Trouba is traded, Soderstrom’s #8 would be available. Perfect fit, match made in heaven.

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
he's looking good but this draft is waytoo steep for him to go top 5.
I agree with this. He should go high enough as there aren't many Dman available and I have him as the second best available after Byram.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Outscoring? Söderstrom has 2 points more than Seider with 4 more games played.
Söderström has a 0.2ppg, Seider has 0.16. So, yes, outscoring in raw numbers, & ppg numbers.

I think it's worth adding that Söderström is better defensively than offensively.

Reactions: lanky

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

Doesn't really mean much. It's not a sprint. Boqvist is a helluva lot more dynamic offensively than Söderström but obviously not nearly as polished in his defensive/all-around game. I like Söderström but I'm not sure about his upside. As of now I think he's most likely to be a solid puck-moving 2nd pair defenseman. I think Anton Strålman is a decent comp for him.

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
Doesn't really mean much. It's not a sprint. Boqvist is a helluva lot more dynamic offensively than Söderström but obviously not nearly as polished in his defensive/all-around game. I like Söderström but I'm not sure about his upside. As of now I think he's most likely to be a solid puck-moving 2nd pair defenseman. I think Anton Strålman is a decent comp for him.
Boqvist couldnt make top4 on same Brynäs team last year.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Boqvist couldnt make top4 on same Brynäs team last year.

And what exactly is the significance of that? The guys who reaches the NHL (or in this case SHL) fastest isn't necessarily the players who become the best. Boqvist was picked and ranked high because of his enormous upside, not because he was a finished player. Söderström is arguably ranked lower because he is seen as having a high floor but not the same type of upside.

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
And what exactly is the significance of that? The guys who reaches the NHL (or in this case SHL) fastest isn't necessarily the players who become the best. Boqvist was picked and ranked high because of his enormous upside, not because he was a finished player. Söderström is arguably ranked lower because he is seen as having a high floor but not the same type of upside.
Soderstrom plays defense and does it damn good for a 17 year old. How many 17 year olds other than dahlin has played top4 in shl? Not many.

Soderstrom is simply the better player not even close.

Reactions: Acadien86

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad