RD Victor Soderstrom (2019, 11th, ARZ)

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
I hate Brynäs so much I travel to Gavle to watch these people play and plan my schedules to see them play to maximize viewings. I went and watched Soderstrom 3 times in 5 days at two levels in two different cities, thought he played better with the men’s side than he did with his cohort because I thought the J20 team wasn’t that good.

But yeah, I have a bias against undersized defence men because THEY HAVE A HARD TIME MAKING THE NHL.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I hate Brynäs so much I travel to Gavle to watch these people play and plan my schedules to see them play to maximize viewings. I went and watched Soderstrom 3 times in 5 days at two levels in two different cities, thought he played better with the men’s side than he did with his cohort because I thought the J20 team wasn’t that good.

Kudos to you for actually going out and watching games.

But yeah, I have a bias against undersized defence men because THEY HAVE A HARD TIME MAKING THE NHL.

That's changing though. Heiskanen and Jokiharju are the same size as Boqvist and Söderström, they seem to be doing just fine so far. You also have guys like Vince Dunn and Samuel Girard who's been doing really well. Mete and Dermott looks promising as well although none of those guys have nearly the same offensive capabilities as the other guys mentioned here.

If you look at slightly older guys you have Morrissey, Dumba, Grzelcyk, Butcher, Montour and Stecher, all listed at 6'0 or smaller. Detroit have been giving playing time to Filip Hronek and Joe Hicketts this season as well.

So the league is definitely changing. These days if you have the skill, you will get your chance. It's not about size anymore, it's about whether you can play or not, and guys like Boqvist and Söderström can definitely play.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017

That's changing though. Heiskanen and Jokiharju are the same size as Boqvist and Söderström, they seem to be doing just fine so far. You also have guys like Vince Dunn and Samuel Girard who's been doing really well. Mete and Dermott looks promising as well although none of those guys have nearly the same offensive capabilities as the other guys mentioned here.

If you look at slightly older guys you have Morrissey, Dumba, Grzelcyk, Butcher, Montour and Stecher, all listed at 6'0 or smaller. Detroit have been giving playing time to Filip Hronek and Joe Hicketts this season as well.

So the league is definitely changing. These days if you have the skill, you will get your chance. It's not about size anymore, it's about whether you can play or not, and guys like Boqvist and Söderström can definitely play.
Ryan ellis says hi

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Neal Pionk is another one. We have a lot of big plugs who defend nowhere near as well as he does.

Actually, Soderstrom kind of reminds me of Pionk with better puck moving. That might sound not that impressive, but Pionk is one of the best defensemen in the NHL that no one knows about.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017

Heiskanen actually excelled against men, Johikarju was miles better than Boqvist in TC and actually produced in Portland. Much like Kokkonen is producing against men for Jukurit while actually defending.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Heiskanen actually excelled against men, Johikarju was miles better than Boqvist in TC and actually produced in Portland. Much like Kokkonen is producing against men for Jukurit while actually defending.

Number of current Swedish D's in the NHL who scored more than 5(!) points in their U18 SHL season: 2. There are a pretty large amount of Swedish D's in the NHL, far more than the Finnish. Numbers there are not important, at all.

Secondly, Boqvist was the last man cut from the Chicago training camp. Would have been the youngest Swedish player to ever play an NHL game had he made it. Jokiharju was an early cut last year and Boqvist will likely beat his WHL numbers.

Last edited:

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Calm and confident on the blueline. Björnfot looked similar in his first game (didn't dance the same way but stood up well) a few days ago will be interesting to see how they pan out

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
He attracted quite a few scouts vs. Djurgården, 12 NHL teams' scouts at a minimum were there to watch him.

Detroit's Jiri Fischer said that everybody wants a dman who can skate, have the IQ, & a good shot is a bonus, adding that after watching him tonight, he's pleasantly surprised, and that Söderström has so far showed him that he has all those qualities you're looking for.

Reactions: Andrei79

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Currently the only U20 D-man getting top-4 minutes in the SHL. Should be a strong candidate for the WJC team. Played over 22 minutes today.

upload_2018-10-31_0-23-30.png

Rydgar

Jul 15, 2010
Surrey, BC
Is it fair to say he's the best RHD right now for the 2019 draft? He certainly seems like he belongs in the SHL with the amount of minutes he gets. Would anyone say he is better at the same age as Boqvist?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Is it fair to say he's the best RHD right now for the 2019 draft? He certainly seems like he belongs in the SHL with the amount of minutes he gets. Would anyone say he is better at the same age as Boqvist?

I don't think there's much competition for best RHD.

Different type of player from Boqvist. There's good offensive ability in his game and he can QB a PP, but I don't think Soderstrom has the potential to be one of the best OFD in the NHL. He's a two-way D with decent offensive ability, so he plays the game differently from Boqvist. I think Boqvist is a much better prospect, but Soderstrom isn't bad.

Reactions: Rydgar

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
As opposed to Boqvist, he’s a solid defender but for better or worse he’s a low event player at both ends. Scouts want to see offensive upside and unless he shows it at U18 I’m not sure it’s there. A bit of a Victor Mete.

bodda

Feb 26, 2012
Foppaland
Scored 2/2 in the shootout tonight.
21GP, 2G2A, +4, 31SOG, 15:18 TOI/gp. Great numbers for a 17 yo dman in SHL.
He has looked like a good two-way dman in the games I've watched. Plays very poised and confident for a 17yo. He can skate and is good with the puck, can get a little lost in the D zone sometimes but overall good defensively too. Could see his stock rise a little if he keeps it up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad