RD Victor Soderstrom (2019, 11th, ARZ)

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Another really skilled offensive defenseman from Brynäs with good skating abilities. Was over PPG in both J18 Elit and J18 Allsvenskan this past season (which is actually better than Boqvist at the same age). Looked good through two games in camp in Sweden too and scored a nice goal today. Someone to keep an eye on for the future.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=344555

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Was just about to create this thread :)

Impressive player indeed, could be a top prospect for 2019.

Luddowich

May 1, 2013
Sweden
How does he compare to Boqvist?
Think Boqvist is the more talented player but Söderström has big time potential. Should probably play the whole year in the Superelit where it'll be a big year ahead of him and seeing how he'll take that next step. Would probably compare him more to a Liljegren, likely won't get that attention that 17 yo Liljegren seeing how he there likely no way he'll get any SHL games this year even if he's good enough. Obviously unless he goes full Dahlin which isn't happening either.

He's stuck behind a ton of very good defensemen in Brynäs, one of them being Boqvist who i'm not sure will play in the SHL this season.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
How does he compare to Boqvist?

They are very similar, you would almost think the are brothers. I think Söderström plays a little bit more quiet game than Boqvist, who loves to leave his defensive position when his team gets possession of the puck. They are both really fun players to watch.

Last edited:

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Probably the best swede for the 2019 draft, followed by Albin Grewe and Noel Gunler or..?

I like Oscar Bjerselius too. Thought he was terrific at the summer scrimmage.

Gunler is a late birthday so he's not eligible until 2020.

StevenEllisNHL

Nov 29, 2014
He led all defencemen in scoring at a recent U17 Five Nations tournament in Switzerland. 3P in 4GP.

Great skater, can play physical and isn't afraid to rush the puck.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Big fan of Söderström's game. Not the biggest guy but still plays a very complete two-way game. Love his decision making and how quickly he processes the game, good offensive upside as well. Top Swedish prospect for next years draft.

Magua

Clutchest Genes to Ever Gene
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Am I off-base thinking he looks like a little more dynamic Nils Lundkvist (who I think should've gone higher)? I see similarities in their mannerisms and IQ and spirited 2-way game at that size and handedness.

I saw some mild dissatisfaction expressed in the Hlinka thread, but I'm seeing what I need to see to understand he's a good player tbh. If this isn't him at his best (I'm guessing offensively plus others looking good too), then that excites me going into the season. I really like his 3-zone play in the games I've seen (1 J10, 2 Hlinka), and the skill is clearly there, even if it only manifested in a crappy 5-hole goal today. :laugh:

Reactions: Habs76

Vide

Mar 2, 2015
Only 3 assists in 8 games in juniors. Anyone seen him play recently? Surprised at his modest production.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->