Prospect Info: D Ty Smith

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
I think everything about Smith says 1st pair except his size.

He'll need to be heavily focused on fitness in order to be a first pair player. I hope he looks at what Provorov did and blows everyone away with his fitness level next year.

He also needs to work on his shot from the point in order to maintain a top power play spot. Teams are going with 4, and in rare cases, even 5 forwards on the power play now. He'll become a liability if his shot cannot keep penalty killers honest.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Defense in the modern NHL is insanely difficult to do it well. It’s like being an NFL cornerback.

While I do whole heartedly think we need a LD1, I think you CAN get by with a bunch of guys who top out as fringe top pairing defenseman ala Vatanen. A number 1 is what we need but a bunch of 2s or 1Bs won't be THAT bad if we can get those type of guys too.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
While I do whole heartedly think we need a LD1, I think you CAN get by with a bunch of guys who top out as fringe top pairing defenseman ala Vatanen. A number 1 is what we need but a bunch of 2s or 1Bs won't be THAT bad if we can get those type of guys too.

I agree that two pairings of guys at Vats level is fine. To me it just seems that finding guys who can consistently give you that is tough. Loook at all the flawed young defenders. Guys like Barrie Butcher Sevs guys on EDM. These are young talented athletic guys and they struggle in various ways. There are numerous great forwards in the NHL as the game has changed. Defenders have yet to catch up as I see it.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Again, who is doing this YT and why should I care? You can tell five seconds in it's not exactly a professional voice. Honestly it's less negative than I thought it was going to be though...more or less a boiler-plate scouting from a guy who's voice is putting me back to sleep.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
People here really seem to be looking for a fight.

The video was pretty basic - not much of a breakdown of Smith’s game, but some reasonable high level observations. They guy says he has Smith ranked #7 overall.

Why anyone would have negative reactions to that video is beyond me.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
People here really seem to be looking for a fight.

The video was pretty basic - not much of a breakdown of Smith’s game, but some reasonable high level observations. They guy says he has Smith ranked #7 overall.

Why anyone would have negative reactions to that video is beyond me.

They look for negativity, why, it's beyond me...

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
They look for negativity, why, it's beyond me...

When you spend an entire month sandbagging a pick of course people are going to assume a random unnamed YT video with no description other than ‘interesting’ is also going to be negative, sorry but that’s the price you pay for going over the top negative repeatedly.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
lol threads like this are why i wait until draft picks are actually playing hockey with [at least] the b-devs to begin passing judgment.

insane, i know.

conte wrecked us. every pick is automatically a bust until proven otherwise in our reality.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
When you spend an entire month sandbagging a pick of course people are going to assume a random unnamed YT video with no description other than ‘interesting’ is also going to be negative, sorry but that’s the price you pay for going over the top negative repeatedly.

I don't know, Ive always liked the pick and the YT video was positive

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Your very first post after drafting him...

Do you suffer from memory loss?

giphy.gif

Japam

I love Matt Loughlin.
May 21, 2012
nj
I have this weird feeling he starts the season in NJ. Castron said he was super determined to make the team and from everything I've heard it sounds like he has the skills and character to pull it off. I'm looking forward to camp/prospects game/preseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad