Prospect Info: D Ty Smith

BomaLightDevils

Jan 15, 2011
Copenhagen
Point being we don’t need to be afraid of our top prospects.

Ty is hyped up for good reason. We will see how his draft +1 year goes and adjust accordingly, but right now we should be thrilled about this.

Also need to remember that of our last crop of D prospects, only Lars was a first round pick. Merrill, Gely, and Severson were picked outside the 1st round. Lars didn’t live up to his 4th overall status, but we cashed out well well ahead so it isn’t a big deal at all.

Severson has absolutely worked out in relation to where he was picked.

The true busts of the Conte era are long behind us.

It's incredible how much a couple new scouts and a new emphasis on skill and speed can do.

A fun fact is the type of players we are drafting now is what we were lacking before Shero and Castron came in.!!

Was Lou and conte stuck so much in the past that they only looked for muscle and size??

Reactions: longislanddevil

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Connor Chatham and Ryan Rehill eh....

Now de draft guys like Jesper Bratt, Marian Studenic, Jeremy Davies, Reilly Walsh, Aarne Talvitie etc in those rounds.

Words can't express how bad Lou and Conte were their last 10 years in the organization..

Lou and Co get a ton of crap but this is undeniable. Their last draft was an absolute joke in the later rounds.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Point being we don’t need to be afraid of our top prospects.

Ty is hyped up for good reason. We will see how his draft +1 year goes and adjust accordingly, but right now we should be thrilled about this.

Also need to remember that of our last crop of D prospects, only Lars was a first round pick. Merrill, Gely, and Severson were picked outside the 1st round. Lars didn’t live up to his 4th overall status, but we cashed out well well ahead so it isn’t a big deal at all.

Severson has absolutely worked out in relation to where he was picked.

The true busts of the Conte era are long behind us.
Even if Ty only duplicates his draft year it's still pretty good.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
It's incredible how much a couple new scouts and a new emphasis on skill and speed can do.

A fun fact is the type of players we are drafting now is what we were lacking before Shero and Castron came in.!!

Was Lou and conte stuck so much in the past that they only looked for muscle and size??

I really believe it's the GM more than anything else. The GM tells the head of scouting what kind of players to go and draft, and the scouting dept. follows orders. Since watching Shero/Castron, I actually feel less disgusted with Conte and more with Lou. I'm convinced Lou had Conte out hunting for the Corrente's, Baddock's and Chatham's, and picking guys like Josefson who had a little offensive skill but played a strong defensive game.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I really believe it's the GM more than anything else. The GM tells the head of scouting what kind of players to go and draft, and the scouting dept. follows orders. Since watching Shero/Castron, I actually feel less disgusted with Conte and more with Lou. I'm convinced Lou had Conte out hunting for the Corrente's, Baddock's and Chatham's, and picking guys like Josefson who had a little offensive skill but played a strong defensive game.

David Conte was quoted saying that he would love to have a team full of Dainius Zubruses. I think Lou and Conte agreed on what players were good, and that also both Lou/Conte's prediliction for taking physical players is a bit overblown.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
David Conte was quoted saying that he would love to have a team full of Dainius Zubruses. I think Lou and Conte agreed on what players were good, and that also both Lou/Conte's prediliction for taking physical players is a bit overblown.

Yes and no as I see it. They weren’t single minded dolts but they failed to recognize that as the league got smaller and quicker it also became more skilled. The average player became a better hockey player and finding big guys that fit that paradigm became harder and I’m not sure they ever took that into account. They aren’t the only ones. Look at EDM and Lucic. To old school guys those players remain the great white whales. NJ has the prototype modern power forward in Wood.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Yes and no as I see it. They weren’t single minded dolts but they failed to recognize that as the league got smaller and quicker it also became more skilled. The average player became a better hockey player and finding big guys that fit that paradigm became harder and I’m not sure they ever took that into account. They aren’t the only ones. Look at EDM and Lucic. To old school guys those players remain the great white whales. NJ has the prototype modern power forward in Wood.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they recognized the league’s shift and were shifting against the wind to try and find undervalued players againt the new league mindset.

Years before when the league was looking for huge tough guys to plow through the trap, the Devils found bunches of small, quick guys that skated through the trap.

When the league was drafting all North Americans Lou was looking to where else the talent could come from.

Point being, Lou/Conte went against whatever the league was looking for in an attempt to find value. They just came up short and incorrect as the last few seasons.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

But they're the ones that drafted Wood, so I'm not quite seeing your point here. I really don't think they drafted for size that often. I could hear an argument that they didn't care enough about speed and maybe that's accurate, but they drafted plenty of smaller players.

Not really germane to the Ty Smith thread, I suppose, so this will be the last post I make on this subject here.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
But they're the ones that drafted Wood, so I'm not quite seeing your point here. I really don't think they drafted for size that often. I could hear an argument that they didn't care enough about speed and maybe that's accurate, but they drafted plenty of smaller players.

Not really germane to the Ty Smith thread, I suppose, so this will be the last post I make on this subject here.

Agreed we can move the discussion to the team thread. If it comes up there, my point with Wood is that he was something of a happy accident. They had no idea he’d be what he is now or they would have taken him higher. Go Ty smith! Great pick and hopefully he can learn to use his skating to hold off the power forward types!

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
yeah they drafted tedenby, bergfors, josefson, all smaller players. that one draft stands out because it was so bad and head scratching at the time but generally they were equal-opportunity terrible drafters over the last decade

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
They did draft Josefson and Tedenby, who were supposed to have a lot skill, but those were just colossal busts.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
They did draft Josefson and Tedenby, who were supposed to have a lot skill, but those were just colossal busts.

Quite a few good players taken after JJ. Palmieri, Johansson, ROR, Klingberg, and Silfverberg to name a few before we took Gelinas in the 2nd round.

Same with Tedenby. Carlson, Ennis, Voynov, Allen, Josi, Stepan, Hamonic, and Scandella.

I know you can go do this in any draft so don't @ me, I'm bored and can't sleep.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
THN projects him to be a 2nd pair d-man in the NHL
What’s the meaningful distinction between “first pair” and “second pair”? The total amount of TOI? Even strength TOI? The QoC? If he can hold his own against top competition, can QB a PP, and consistently log 20+ minutes per game, I’ll be very very happy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad