Prospect Info: D Ty Smith

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Also just from the snooping I sometimes do. Rag fans are salty Ty Smith fell into our laps

watching them kick themselves for letting wahlstrom slip to the islanders is going to be

hilaaaariooousssss

563e8bdbafd11517bed90a0a413f5673.gif

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I’ve seen him listed at anywhere from 5’9” to 5’11” and anywhere from 161 to 176 pounds. Did anyone meet him or at least stand close to him at development camp to get at least a semi accurate assessment of whether he is just small or actually tiny?

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I’ve seen him listed at anywhere from 5’9” to 5’11” and anywhere from 161 to 176 pounds. Did anyone meet him or at least stand close to him at development camp to get at least a semi accurate assessment of whether he is just small or actually tiny?
https://thehockeywriters.com/2018-nhl-combine-heights-weights/

From the combine it looks like his official measurements are 5-10.75 176 lbs. At 18 he may still grow another inch before he makes it to the NHL. He’ll probably be roughly 5-11 ~185 by the time he’s in NJ. Not too undersized compared to guys like Spurgeon or Krug.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008

From the combine it looks like his official measurements are 5-10.75 176 lbs. At 18 he may still grow another inch before he makes it to the NHL. He’ll probably be roughly 5-11 ~185 by the time he’s in NJ. Not too undersized compared to guys like Spurgeon or Krug.

If he ends up at 6 foot, 180 pounds he won’t be called small too often but if he ends up 5-11, 190 pounds he will be called small much more often, even though he will actually be bigger.

Not totally Smith related, more a general point that I see. We should focus more on player weight and wingspan for size but we end up using height most of the time.

Reactions: My3Sons

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ

He's small but still very young

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Him and Walsh appear to be about the same size at the time of being drafted according to Elite Prospects.

Walsh is now at 6', 185 lbs. per Harvard's roster on their website. Think that Ty should be fine to get to a similar size too.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Him and Walsh appear to be about the same size at the time of being drafted according to Elite Prospects.

Walsh is now at 6', 185 lbs. per Harvard's roster on their website. Think that Ty should be fine to get to a similar size too.

In today’s NHL that is plenty big enough for a smart player that can skate on defense.

Gordie Howe Army

Jun 16, 2018
Ty Smith and Will Butcher seem to have very similar games -- they are smallish, puck-moving defenders who can quarterback the powerplay. When Andy Greene leaves, will both of them make it to the top 4 ?

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Ty Smith and Will Butcher seem to have very similar games -- they are smallish, puck-moving defenders who can quarterback the powerplay. When Andy Greene leaves, will both of them make it to the top 4 ?

Smith will almost surely end up being far more mobile than Butcher. He will quite possibly end up on the 1st pair. Butcher probably becomes a high-end 2nd pair guy. They will likely be the PP quarterbacks, too: Smith 1st unit and Butcher 2nd. That's a few years down the road, though. When both have matured.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

With the current emphasis and skill and speed, his height definitely won't be an issue as long as he's strong enough to not be easily knocked off the puck.

RNCDevil

Jun 21, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
People have written about it a few times...Users here feel burned from the last Devils's prospect hype cycle. So, I think many of us, like myself are being more cautious and even perhaps a bit chicken-little about everyone that's not Nico. Maybe Bratt is Petr Prucha? Maybe Santini never pans out? Maybe Butcher cannot handle real minutes? Maybe maybe maybe...Oh...and people are stir crazy.

In a month we'll have the Sabres' Challenge to argue about :).

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Point being we don’t need to be afraid of our top prospects.

Ty is hyped up for good reason. We will see how his draft +1 year goes and adjust accordingly, but right now we should be thrilled about this.

Also need to remember that of our last crop of D prospects, only Lars was a first round pick. Merrill, Gely, and Severson were picked outside the 1st round. Lars didn’t live up to his 4th overall status, but we cashed out well well ahead so it isn’t a big deal at all.

Severson has absolutely worked out in relation to where he was picked.

The true busts of the Conte era are long behind us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->