Prospect Info: D Ty Smith

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Kid is a superb skater - as good as you will see - plus very fluid with the puck on his stick - he’s almost always 1 step ahead of everyone else on this footage.

Left hand shot but, curiously, playing right defense in this game with Spokane.

So does he project as a left or right side defender going forward? Or is it too early to tell.
My guess is he plays right because spokane had 2 other capable lhd in Kral and Helgeson.

Smith was often with Helgeson, I bet Kral was often with Reid( a righty). Those are Spokane's 4 best d-men and top 2 pairing which probably play 45 minutes a game. In that playoff game we watched, they may have played 50 minutes.

Love that he is versatile enough to not only move to the right side, but excel at it, but I very much expect him to be on the left side at the pro level.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
my sister has a subscription to the athletic and sent me this juicy piece:
J6MRUI3.jpg

absolutely captain material right here.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
One of the corsica people.

Pretty much the Corsica guy. A real smart guy in the analytics realm.

Though I'm pretty sure his model has the Devils finishing in last place in the metro last season. Obviously not many had us in the playoffs, and it's no slight on his work, just funny lol

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Thrilled with this pick.

Been waiting for us to draft a player with this skillset for a long, long time. That he seems to be a solid kid is a very nice bonus.

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
Damn you guys are getting my hyped for this kid.

What are we thinking, two years before he cracks the big team?

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Just curious when do you guys think Smith will be with the big club. You rarely see it with 18 year old defenders. But when it comes to physical tools, maturity, and intelligence he's pretty far along already and may not seem out of place in the NHL if thrown out there

I remember Nieds during the 1992-1993 season was 19 (had a cup of coffee with the team the year before) and you could tell right away that he belonged and didn't resemble a rookie in any which way.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Just curious when do you guys think Smith will be with the big club. You rarely see it with 18 year old defenders. But when it comes to physical tools, maturity, and intelligence he's pretty far along already and may not seem out of place in the NHL if thrown out there

I remember Nieds during the 1992-1993 season was 19 (had a cup of coffee with the team the year before) and you could tell right away that he belonged and didn't resemble a rookie in any which way.

2019-20, no need to rush anything. between him and walsh (and a few others) we’re going to have some awesome decisions to make coming out of that season’s camp

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
2019-20, no need to rush anything. between him and walsh (and a few others) we’re going to have some awesome decisions to make coming out of that season’s camp
Hopefully better decisions than deciding between Merrill, Gelinas, and Urbom

Reactions: MartyOwns

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA

He makes the team next season. Book it.

Reactions: MichaelJ

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Absolutely best convergence of BPA and much needed D we could have hoped for at the #17 spot. So looking forward to this kid on the club in a couple years and by all accounts he's real good guy and a natural born leader.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->