Prospect Info: D Ty Smith

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
I'm as or more enthusiastic for this pick than I was for Larsson at 4OA. I have no regrets over the Larsson pick as it ultimately landed us Hall , but was a Couturier guy at the time and always felt Larsson's claim was "played in a men's league at a young age". I look forward to prospect camp for a closer look and, ultimately, in 1-2 years time when, by accounts, he could be ready to contribute in NJ. Very happy he fell to us.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
The 5-foot-11, 175 pound defenseman from Saskatchewan is known for his skating - both speed and agility - his ability to process the game quickly and make smart decisions with and without the puck, his offensive contributions and his character.

Smith, 18, represented Hockey Canada the past two years at the U18 World Championship and was captain of the team this past April. Next month, he will attend the annual World Junior Summer Showcase as he looks to make a good impression and earn a spot on Canada's U20 team at the World Junior Championship in Vancouver and Victoria this December.

Last season, he earned 73 points (14 goals, 59 assists) in 69 games on the blueline for the Spokane Chiefs of the Western Hockey League and was the second highest scoring defenseman in the league. Smith has the potential to bring that kind of offense to the NHL, especially with his propensity to jump in, and sometimes even lead, the offensive attack from the defensive zone as well as his shot from the point on the power play. Defensively, his game is very strong. He picks off passes, competes for loose pucks, is smart with his stick and makes good decisions under pressure.

"We thought Ty would have been gone by the time he got to us at 17," said Paul Castron, Devils director of amateur scouting. "We were really excited to be able to get someone of his talent and character with our first round pick. Before the draft, we had talked with a lot of people who've worked with him at Hockey Canada and his junior team in Spokane and everyone just raves about him, not only as a good hockey player, but as a good person and a good teammate too. He just fits our identity with the way we want to play and the culture we want in our locker room."

A tad undersized, there's still room on his frame to add strength to make him even harder to play against in the corners and in front of the net and more explosive on his skates, but in terms of his skillset, he just needs to stay the course and continue to develop.

"There's no urgency to rush him," Castron continued. "We're happy to let him go back to junior and be a dominate player there and learn and grow and come to us when he's ready. I know his mindset is that he's coming to camp in September to make the team and, for us, if it happens, it's a bonus, but he just has to continue to do the things that will make him successful and he'll get to the NHL whether it's this year or not."

Devils 2018 NHL Draftee Scouting Report

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Strangely, his shot reminds me of Bruce Driver's. Not blazingly fast, just low, accurate, and tippable. I'm actually more interested in seeing him play D than scoring. I guess I should google around.
you have to watch the shift by shifts. There are 2 out there that I know of, one from the WJC, one from juniors.

Reactions: Nubmer6

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad