D Ty Nelson - North Bay Battalion, OHL (2022, 68th, SEA)

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey

First pick in the OHL draft, can someone tell me more about him?

Extremely strong and steady skater, which lets him be effective in all areas of the ice. Prototypical “new age” defenseman in the way he transitions and is aggressive with the puck on his stick, but not the same kind of rusher or chance-taker in the offensive zone as say a Makar. Excellent saucer, does everything with high speed (closing on attackers and getting the puck into the paint).

Zero issues with his defensive commitment and he plays pretty mean, but height could prove an issue; EP has him listed at 5’8” and I’d say that’s actually pretty accurate. I don’t know enough about his family to speak to the likelihood of growth.

I don’t think he is as promising as Clarke is or was a year ago, but should be a valuable weapon for North Bay. Looking at their roster, I see him QBing a PP unit, and probably the top one sooner rather than later. He’s obviously one to watch for 2022, but he’s got stiff competition (ahead of him at this point in my eyes) from the other promising North American defensemen in Luneau, Casey, and Hutson.

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
Zero issues with his defensive commitment and he plays pretty mean, but height could prove an issue; EP has him listed at 5’8” and I’d say that’s actually pretty accurate. I don’t know enough about his family to speak to the likelihood of growth.

I don’t think he is as promising as Clarke is or was a year ago, but should be a valuable weapon for North Bay. Looking at their roster, I see him QBing a PP unit, and probably the top one sooner rather than later. He’s obviously one to watch for 2022, but he’s got stiff competition (ahead of him at this point in my eyes) from the other promising North American defensemen in Luneau, Casey, and Hutson.

If you're worried about Ty's size not sure how you can list Hutson as competition for him. Hutson is miniscule. Hopefully going NCAA will put some size on that kid.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Extremely strong and steady skater, which lets him be effective in all areas of the ice. Prototypical “new age” defenseman in the way he transitions and is aggressive with the puck on his stick, but not the same kind of rusher or chance-taker in the offensive zone as say a Makar. Excellent saucer, does everything with high speed (closing on attackers and getting the puck into the paint).

Would you say he’s similar to Ty Smith?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If you're worried about Ty's size not sure how you can list Hutson as competition for him. Hutson is miniscule. Hopefully going NCAA will put some size on that kid.

You are right, but Hutson will probably score enough that his size and defense doesn’t matter to be an NHL’er. That kid has incredible offensive skills. Best young American defensemen in that regard since Hughes.

Reactions: Dominance

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
True, so say they’re even.

My thought process is that Hutson’s more offense-oriented game will suffer less at the next level from a significant height disadvantage than Nelson’s two-way style. Don’t get me wrong, I love the kid’s game, but if he tops out at 5’10” he’ll inevitably struggle against 6’6” opponents.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Would you say he’s similar to Ty Smith?
Similar skating and transition ability for sure, both push the play that way. I think that Nelson’s aggressiveness in the defensive zone gives him a notable edge there. Both players use their sticks really well, are very aware, and close on guys quickly, but Nelson goes in looking to land some shots and hounds his man harder. I don’t know if it’s necessarily better, but that style appeals to me more.

I want to see Nelson walk the point and run a powerplay at the junior level before I come to any conclusions about ranking their offensive abilities. I will say that Nelson beats out Smith in shooting, though.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
Are there any updates on this kid? He was the first overall pick in the 2020 OHL draft but obviously hasn't played a game yet but is there any info on his training or if he's grown at all? How is he tracking as a potential NHL draft pick?

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Are there any updates on this kid? He was the first overall pick in the 2020 OHL draft but obviously hasn't played a game yet but is there any info on his training or if he's grown at all? How is he tracking as a potential NHL draft pick?
He’s small so it might hurt his draft stock, other than that though; not many know how he’s progressed because as you said we haven’t been able to see him play.

03HockeyFan

Mar 5, 2019
His style of play — being physical and undersized — worked in minor hockey as he has a relatively early birthday (3/30) and he’s physically quite mature (stocky, muscular). However, that advantage is going to disappear in short order and the real question is whether that style of play can be sustained against bigger, mature players. I wouldn’t bet on it.

I hope he has a great year in the OHL this season. He will need it, otherwise he could easily fall quite a bit in the draft.

Reactions: Luc Poitras

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
He's listed on the OHL website this season as 5-10, 197. Not ideal height for a defenceman, but that's pretty solid. Kimmo Timonen played 1,108 NHL games and he's listed at 5-10, 194. Not saying he's the next Timonen, but it can be done if the skills and smarts are there.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
He's listed on the OHL website this season as 5-10, 197. Not ideal height for a defenceman, but that's pretty solid. Kimmo Timonen played 1,108 NHL games and he's listed at 5-10, 194. Not saying he's the next Timonen, but it can be done if the skills and smarts are there.
Even if they’re being a little generous, stocky kids can have later growth spurts too. Nelson’s only 17 years and 6 months old now, it’s not too shocking.

Hutson is only month and 1/2 older than him, the USDP page has him up to 5’8” now and still at 148 lbs.

Uncle

Jun 26, 2017
Having watched all preseason and last nights regular season match, I would say Timonen is a great comparison! I trust whatever he does with the puck will be the right play almost 100% of the time

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Timonen would be a terrific outcome, and I am really glad Nelson is drawing those comparisons - they definitely make sense given what I’ve seen of him. KT was one of the most universally well-respected players in the NHL for many years, and a personal favourite of mine despite the team he played for.

Uncle

Jun 26, 2017
Timonen would be a terrific outcome, and I am really glad Nelson is drawing those comparisons - they definitely make sense given what I’ve seen of him. KT was one of the most universally well-respected players in the NHL for many years, and a personal favourite of mine despite the team he played for.
Ya maybe with a dash of spice

Reactions: Ryan Van Horne

Mr Buckles

Jun 6, 2018
Ty Nelson.png

Leading all OHL rookie scoring as a d-man. Also looks to be very solidly built.

Reactions: Dominance

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Quite a bizarre moment in the game between Steelheads and Battalion. Nelson shoots puck on the top corner where crossbar meets the post, puck breaks in half, and now they're trying to figure out whether it's a goal or not.

Edit: no goal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad