D Topias Vilen - Pelicans, Liiga (2021, 129th, NJD)

jvr32

Oct 24, 2016
This guy deserves a thread. 6'1 Finnish defenseman who has started the season with 4 points in 16 games without PP time. He is a very good skater in all directions. But I'm not yet sure of how high his offensive upside actually is. He wasn't invited to the Finnish U18 camp because he is expected to play in Liiga.

Topias Vilén at eliteprospects.com

Scored this goal against the top team in Liiga two days ago:

Reactions: Lou is God

jvr32

Oct 24, 2016
Good value pick early in the 5th round. Good skater and I like his hockey sense. But he will not run a power play in the NHL and needs to start playing with more consistency.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
The WJC will be a good measuring stick verses his peers. How will he look in comparison to Heimosalmi? How will he look in comparison to the other top 19 year olds. I am hoping for a coming out party.

Reactions: MitchMurphy

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Kids logging big minutes for Finland so far at World Juniors. How has he looked ? He's been playing about 27 minutes a game so far

Reactions: MitchMurphy

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
IMO he's been the most consistent Finnish defender.
Agreed, but... There hasn't been anyone besides him who's been that good either. Heimosalmi has been a disappointment so far, for me at least.

I want to see how he handles the US and a playoff game before I praise or criticize him.

Reactions: Jukurit

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
I thought Vilen was OK. Not really that impressive. But didn't do anything bad either (Other than miss his shots most of the time). Probably the only Finnish dman on this team who didn't piss me off. Finland had Mickey Mouse Defense in this tournament and that's the main reason he played such big minutes. Finland just didn't have anybody else good to play those minutes.

Reactions: Svedu and Keke

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I thought Vilen was OK. Not really that impressive. But didn't do anything bad either (Other than miss his shots most of the time). Probably the only Finnish dman on this team who didn't piss me off. Finland had Mickey Mouse Defense in this tournament and that's the main reason he played such big minutes. Finland just didn't have anybody else good to play those minutes.
Without using stats, I thought he was pretty good defending the rush and was the main mover of the puck out of their own zone, in large part because the other defensmen were dog shit moving the puck. He also played physical in the corners ending a good amount of them on first contact.

Offensaively, he didn't do much nor do I expect much at the NHL level. Looks to be very Marino like.

BavelPure

Aug 24, 2005
I remember seeing him in Devils camp thinking he'd be one of the first cuts based on his draft year and position in it. He ended up not looking out of place and was one of the better players in the preseason for NJ. He played fast, poised and sound positionally. Curious as to why he was selected so late. Was he a late bloomer? Didn't get opportunity?

Reactions: Lou is God

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
We are hoarding all the Defensmen prospects. I don't think anyone else's system comes close in that regard. Granted Hughes and Nemec were top 4 picks, we still managed to find good players like Vilen , Casey , Orlov outside the 1st round.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad