D Spencer Sova - Erie Otters, OHL (2022 Draft; Undrafted)

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Not much talk about him, enjoyed a solid draft season and capped it off as one of Canada’s best players at the u-18’s where he served as an alternate.
Should be selected between the second and fourth round.

Reactions: Dominance

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The puck skills were definitely there per the Sabres dev camp, but the questions about his play away from the puck and in actual game situations are too.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think he was referring to how if you draft out of the CHL, you only have 2 years to sign that player before you lose their rights - meanwhile a ton of other leagues around the world you get to hold a players rights for many years after a draft until you have to sign him, or else forego his rights.

I guess that’s an advantage, but is it really a big factor teams consider? Seems like such a small factor that you are overthinking it to not take the highest players on your list.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
I guess that’s an advantage, but is it really a big factor teams consider? Seems like such a small factor that you are overthinking it to not take the highest players on your list.
I guarantee it‘s something teams consider on draft day.

And I wouldn’t be surprised if the number of CHLers selected late to the number of players in other leagues heavily favour the other leagues as of late.

If you have 2 guys you like that are in a similar tier, one plays in the CHL, the other in the USHL and has a NCAA commitment - you’re going to pick the NCAA kid because you have more time to evaluate the player without having to bring him into the system.

Reactions: wetcoast

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Man if Erie Otters would have at least 1 (or 2) quality forwards... who knows how many
goals and points would Sova and Kyrou have...crazy.

Sova and Kyrou combined stats : 21 goals, 49 assists, 70 points....

Sova leads Otters in goals with 13, is 3rd in points with 25, Kyrou is the point leader with 35,
and has 2nd most goals with 8 (3 forwards have scored 11 goals for Erie), so he is 5th in goals.

Otters only good forward is Malcolm Spence, but he is 2025 draft eligible player,
so you don't expect him to be very good atm, Spence with 17 points in 21 games.
- good, strong numbers sure but not very ready player

Reactions: ChesterNimitz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad