D Ryan Murphy (2011, 12th overall, Carolina) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
He's been shockingly effective this year for a rookie 20 year old dman. The main takeaway is actually in his defensive game where he's been passable more often then not, where when you're talking a pure offensive dman and especially a rookie one, that's acceptable. He's already running the Canes PP and I think is leading the dmen in PPTOI/G by a hair over Faulk, who happens to be having a breakout season of his own.

The big thing with Murphy has just been his level of control of the puck, and his ability to know where and when to have it, and skate it out of danger. There was a point earlier this year where Murphy was carrying the puck through the neutral zone against Detroit while the team did a shift change. 1 on 5, and yet he skated his way through things maintaining possession and came away with a high quality opportunity that nearly resulted in his first. I honestly think we could see big things out of him down the road if he keeps developing and keeps his defense at an acceptable level while being offensively potent.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I've always had a soft spot for this kid because I hated seeing all Canadians blaming him for WJC failures and generally using him as a scapegoat. I love his skillset and I want to see him succeed big time. :)

Captain Clutch

May 2, 2012
I'm still pretty optimistic about Murphy despite thinking that Carolina has brought him up too soon. I think that he's a guy that should be developed the way the Red Wings develop many of their players...."overripe", I think is the term Ken Holland uses. In any event, he has been solid if unspectacular in Raleigh so far but certainly seems to be holding his own. He may not have the best hockey instincts, strength or size but his skating truly is beautiful to watch, such a great natural stride, acceleration etc. Thats such a huge asset that I think he'll be a pretty successful player when its all said and done, not Erik Karlsson, but then again who is.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I'm still pretty optimistic about Murphy despite thinking that Carolina has brought him up too soon. I think that he's a guy that should be developed the way the Red Wings develop many of their players...."overripe", I think is the term Ken Holland uses. In any event, he has been solid if unspectacular in Raleigh so far but certainly seems to be holding his own. He may not have the best hockey instincts, strength or size but his skating truly is beautiful to watch, such a great natural stride, acceleration etc. Thats such a huge asset that I think he'll be a pretty successful player when its all said and done, not Erik Karlsson, but then again who is.

I honestly think the injury to Pitkanen really changed the timetable on everything. The Canes typical gameplan that's worked pretty effectively of late is to give their offensively gifted guys about a season in the AHL with a sniff at ice time when they look ready or late in the season if they've already qualified for the playoffs or are out of the mix in order to see if they're ready. Was looking like it was working well with McBain for a while, and worked exceptionally well with Faulk, though Faulk is looking like a serious talent right now who very well would likely have cracked the roster quickly as is.

Anyhow, I think the original gameplan was for Joni and Faulk to run the show offensively from the blueline for the majority of the season with Murphy being the first callup if either got banged up, but with he and Biega running the show in Charlotte when everyone's healthy.

Hornswaggle

Mar 21, 2013
Raleigh
I'd say he stays up, the Canes are in dire need of PMD and he looks to be getting more comfortable every game. Also dat skating mmm.

SarcazemKadri

Feb 15, 2012
Toronto
Great skater, nice hands, OK hockey IQ. After watching a few Carolina games, its clear he needs to work on his defensive coverage, particularly physicality in front of the net. Brian Campbell could be a good comparison.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
He screwed us in the World Juniors!!!

That seems a bit harsh. I didn't think he was good but there was more than enough blame to go around but when it comes down to it the USA beat us strait up fair and square. As Canadians we seem to have trouble coping with defeat in Hockey but I thought the best team won the gold medal.

Last edited:

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
tarheelhockey has put it best, but between his skating ability, and seeming ability to only throw hip checks, he's like a player who has been ripped directly from NHL 14, and it's awesome.

Torso9000

Aug 12, 2011
I'd be curious to see how/where he figures into Carolina's long term plans at this point. While he's performed well at the AHL level, their organizational strength is pretty clearly on the backend. Between Faulk, Hanifin, Pesce, Slavin, Fleury, McKeown, etc they have plenty of other young defenceman that are either already strong contributors or entering the pro ranks.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
He's been passed and it's probably time to move on for both sides. He had plenty of chances to grab a spot but never could. With a system that heavily favors defense and the guys ahead of him, he'd have to do a 180 stylistically to have a shot at a spot with Faulk, Slavin, Pesce, Hanifin, Hainsey, and Wisniewski easily ahead of him. Not to mention Fleury, McKeown, and Carrick as younger guys hanging around for their shot. Hopefully moved for a similarly stagnating forward in the offseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad