RD Ryan Merkley - Kunlun, KHL (2018, 21st, SJS; traded to COL, released) Part II

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
No I don't think Merkley deserved to be invited to camp. What I am saying is that if the Hunter's wanted him there then they would have the pull to get him there. Has nothing to do with deserve. There is a long history of coaches pulling along specifically defensemen that they coach onto the team and they either don't deserve to be on the team or just get over played.

Was there something in my post that gave you the impression that I think Merkley deserves to be on the tram? I have said twice (three times now) that the defensemen invited are as talented or better than Merkley. My thing was that people are spinning his lack of invite as Merkley being his usual problem self in London when there has been no indication of that.

Its a case of the pool having plenty of talent to choose from and playing good politics.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Merkleys attitude hasnt been an issue in London (Ive had season tics for 20 years in London and also involved with minor midget hockey locally and remember him as an under age minor midget, midget and jr B) Big turnaround from the kid this year by all accounts.
His exclusion was not based on attitude issues or Hunter not having clout enough to pull strings. It was a decision based on hison ice performance, team needs and who may best fill roles.

He has bought in surprisingly well, just still gaps in his game too big to justify his inclusion. No biggie and not worth reading into to much

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Looking at Merkley's stat line, it appears he is trending nicely (2nd in the OHL scoring for D and a +14). For those who watch London regularly, any input on his play?

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
Looking at Merkley's stat line, it appears he is trending nicely (2nd in the OHL scoring for D and a +14). For those who watch London regularly, any input on his play?
He's been improved in the defensive zone as far as effort. I mean, it's far from a strength but it looks like he's trying to put some work into it.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
He leads the Barracuda's D in points but plays sparingly in the 3 games I've seen. Is this the San Jose way?

Separately... the Barracuda are all huge. Merkley is one of the smallest players on the team and he's not that small.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
He leads the Barracuda's D in points but plays sparingly in the 3 games I've seen. Is this the San Jose way?

Separately... the Barracuda are all huge. Merkley is one of the smallest players on the team and he's not that small.
He was injured recently. Could be a factor in him playing less. Also they dont trust him in the D-zone likely as its his biggest issue.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
A bump.

Was once a the 1st overall pick in the OHL draft in 2016, highly touted/ranked
then he started to fall, fell some more, didn't fell off the 1st round thou,
eventually was drafted 21st overall, by the Sharks.

Scored close to 300 points in the OHL, 54 goals, took 227 penalty minutes and was -46.

Turns 21 later this year. So, its not like he is 18 anymore.
Is playing in his first full pro season, in 24 games so far, 1 goal and 8 assists,
12 penalty minutes and is -13, for San Jose Barracuda.

Its not his size, close to 6 feet tall, and around 180 pounds. - offensive minded d-man 100% -

Any chance that he will make it to the NHL?

Makoshark

Sep 19, 2018
Humboldt County
A bump.

Was once a the 1st overall pick in the OHL draft in 2016, highly touted/ranked
then he started to fall, fell some more, didn't fell off the 1st round thou,
eventually was drafted 21st overall, by the Sharks.

Scored close to 300 points in the OHL, 54 goals, took 227 penalty minutes and was -46.

Turns 21 later this year. So, its not like he is 18 anymore.
Is playing in his first full pro season, in 24 games so far, 1 goal and 8 assists,
12 penalty minutes and is -13, for San Jose Barracuda.

Its not his size, close to 6 feet tall, and around 180 pounds. - offensive minded d-man 100% -

Any chance that he will make it to the NHL?

I'm guessing not. He just doesn't have the will to play competent defence. From what I hear it's the same problems now as before. Barracuda fans have been describing it as "disturbing" and "atrocious." I think he gets one more prove it season and he's gone. I honestly really hope they convert him to forward because he really does have elite offensive playmaking talent.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
I'm guessing not. He just doesn't have the will to play competent defence. From what I hear it's the same problems now as before. Barracuda fans have been describing it as "disturbing" and "atrocious." I think he gets one more prove it season and he's gone. I honestly really hope they convert him to forward because he really does have elite offensive playmaking talent.

Honest assessment. He was always a swing or miss guy for me.

Reactions: wetcoast

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
I was a big believer in him and I wont say its no for sure but it looks more likely he never plays than he does
I'm surprised we got even this much of an admission of error after how hard in the paint you went against those of us in here who were saying he's a risky prospect lol. Wonder if Frosty's gonna update his opinion too.

Reactions: LeafChief

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I'm surprised we got even this much of an admission of error after how hard in the paint you went against those of us in here who were saying he's a risky prospect lol. Wonder if Frosty's gonna update his opinion too.
I knew he was risky but he kept growing and improving, this year hes just been bad without any noticeable improvement.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
He's 20 years old playing in a professional men's league for the first time. Bit early to write him off. If he isn't hovering around a point per game in the AHL next season then it's time to get concerned but he's still very young and it's been a weird season.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
He's 20 years old playing in a professional men's league for the first time. Bit early to write him off. If he isn't hovering around a point per game in the AHL next season then it's time to get concerned but he's still very young and it's been a weird season.
It's not just the poor play on the ice though. It's the complete lack of trying to improve himself or change his game to adapt to a stronger league. It's the exact same issues that plagued him since he was 16 and why many of us didn't see an NHL player in him.

The guy is so entitled he still thinks he can get by on talent alone even when he's embarrassing himself out there

Reactions: Mach85

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Seems strange to give up on him after only 28 AHL games and you finally have him in your organization, ignoring the pandemic which makes it even stranger. They drafted him fully aware of these issues, presumably they have more patience than that.

Reactions: Sandisfan

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014
always was seen as a Boom/Bust prospect if i recall correctly . Currently trending only verrry slightly to the latter but still young with lots of time

Last edited:

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Well that's a real change of pace from you considering you attacked everyone that told you this would be the case when he was drafted.
I dont believe in taking rumors and hearsay as to a player being "a locker room cancer" as a reason why they will never play. A lot of people who knew nothing about him were acting like experts and I didnt feel that was right. Ive seen a lot more of him myself now, and I better understand why his game may not translate.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
I dont believe in taking rumors and hearsay as to a player being "a locker room cancer" as a reason why they will never play. A lot of people who knew nothing about him were acting like experts and I didnt feel that was right. Ive seen a lot more of him myself now, and I better understand why his game may not translate.
It wasn't just the locker room stuff though. These issues were very apparent on the ice for years to anyone with eyes. And many of us here in southern Ontario have watched him since he was in his mid-teens so we knew a lot more than "nothing" about him. It's a good lesson that sometimes when people are saying the same thing about a prospect, and are in a position to watch him a decent amount and/or talk to those that do, it's not automatically a case of hating your team's prospect or not knowing anything about him.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
A lot of those people you scoffed at have been involved with the game of hockey in the Greater Toronto Area and have had first had experience with this child.

Anyways, glad to see you've finally woken up.

Reactions: Mach85

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
A lot of those people you scoffed at have been involved with the game of hockey in the Greater Toronto Area and have had first had experience with this child.

Anyways, glad to see you've finally woken up.
Historically HF posters, especially of the leafs variety are known for taking a point and running into the ground without any real knowledge. The experts said Merkley was risky, but was progressing, so I trusted that while I wasnt watching OHL games on a normal basis.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->