RD Ryan Merkley - Kunlun, KHL (2018, 21st, SJS; traded to COL, released) Part II

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Good job Hockey Canada, this is why we lose gold medals.
No, it really isn't. The reason we lose occasionally is that other countries have caught up, and anything can happen in a single-elimination tournament. I mean, we took him to the U-18's and finished 5th, Guelph traded him to improve there team. Those weren't directly caused by Merkley, but to say leaving him off is why we don't win is ridiculous.

Newfoundland

Jun 19, 2016
Newfoundland
No, it really isn't. The reason we lose occasionally is that other countries have caught up, and anything can happen in a single-elimination tournament. I mean, we took him to the U-18's and finished 5th, Guelph traded him to improve there team. Those weren't directly caused by Merkley, but to say leaving him off is why we don't win is ridiculous.

It is unacceptable for any less then gold at WJC, the federal government needs to step in.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
It is unacceptable for any less then gold at WJC, the federal government needs to step in.
No, it really isn't and shouldn't involve federal intervention. We have much better uses of resources than using tax dollars to prop up elite athlete development for national pride (I get sponsoring entry-level programs to keep kids busy, but not what you are suggesting).

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
No, it really isn't and shouldn't involve federal intervention. We have much better uses of resources than using tax dollars to prop up elite athlete development for national pride (I get sponsoring entry-level programs to keep kids busy, but not what you are suggesting).
Or if the NHL put even half as much money into youth hockey development in Canada as it does in the States. That would be cool.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Maybe but I dont remember this being a thing about him in junior at all either, and I doubt he went from hated teammate to respected in the NHL in a matter of 3 years. He wore a letter for team Canada at the world juniors as well, a player that was hated by his teammates wouldnt have that. Team Canada is too old school for that.

Theres never ben real talk about Marchand being hated by teammates except outside sources who think because he plays like he does that he must be a dick off the ice as well.

Merkley is definitely worse, but I know for a fact Marchand was not very well liked by his final season in junior by his own teammates. He was done with Junior and made it well known.

Reactions: Sandisfan

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Merkley is definitely worse, but I know for a fact Marchand was not very well liked by his final season in junior by his own teammates. He was done with Junior and made it well known.

still though, thats pretty different than Merkley. Merkley has been a known cancer for years that is uncoachable and not liked by his teammates. Marchand may have fed up some teammates by the end of his final junior season but there are lots of cocky high picks who do that by the end of their junior careers. Marchand and Merkley arent comparable at all in that sense

Merkley's own coach is coaching the team this season and he still hasnt been invited to a Canada camp in how long? The guy is a head case. Maybe he can turn it around but I dont know if the talent is enough to overcome his baggage to be honest

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
still though, thats pretty different than Merkley. Merkley has been a known cancer for years that is uncoachable and not liked by his teammates. Marchand may have fed up some teammates by the end of his final junior season but there are lots of cocky high picks who do that by the end of their junior careers. Marchand and Merkley arent comparable at all in that sense

Merkley's own coach is coaching the team this season and he still hasnt been invited to a Canada camp in how long? The guy is a head case. Maybe he can turn it around but I dont know if the talent is enough to overcome his baggage to be honest

Absolutely. I want Merkley no where close to this team.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015

I don’t know the specifics of his issues, but I wouldn’t write a 19-20 year old kid off for being emotionally immature just yet. A lot of these hockey guys are fairly maladjusted, and some markedly more so. His life has probability been hockey since forever and that can stunt growth in other areas.

Plus, there’s a difference between Dale Hunter and Hockey Canada, and a professional sports team. Shane Doan talks in his Player’s Tribune article about playing the right way, and how the old guys instilled that mentality into him from early on in his career. You disrespect the coach in the minors, maybe you get a talking to, but you do it in the big leagues, and someone much bigger and older than you is gonna put a boot up your ass. I think it means something when a potential future of hall of famer tells you that your f***ed up versus another 19 year old.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
I don’t know the specifics of his issues, but I wouldn’t write a 19-20 year old kid off for being emotionally immature just yet. A lot of these hockey guys are fairly maladjusted, and some markedly more so. His life has probability been hockey since forever and that can stunt growth in other areas.

Plus, there’s a difference between Dale Hunter and Hockey Canada, and a professional sports team. Shane Doan talks in his Player’s Tribune article about playing the right way, and how the old guys instilled that mentality into him from early on in his career. You disrespect the coach in the minors, maybe you get a talking to, but you do it in the big leagues, and someone much bigger and older than you is gonna put a boot up your ass. I think it means something when a potential future of hall of famer tells you that your ****ed up versus another 19 year old.
I don't think anyone's writing him off. The talent has always been there. People are more just saying the "bad attitude" label that gets attached to players is more severe with him than it has been others. It's one of his most significant flaws now and pointing out it's relevance to his future projection is no different than discussing, say, poor skating. It's something he has to work on and overcome.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Sound alike the coach doesn't have the authority to unilaterally invite players to camp, but go on.
Hockey Canada has final say, but keep in mind Dale's brother (and GM of the Knights) is the general manager of Team Canada. If they really wanted him they could win that battle and get him an invite, but it may cost them political capital in other choices.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
You think the coach has no say, especially when his brother is the GM?

I think he knows when to pick his battles. I think people want to use this as ammo that he now isn't coachable in London when in reality there are those within Hockey Canada who likely do not want Merkley on the team and there is plenty of talent to choose from that are as good or better than him so the Hunter bros, are playing the political game as 93Leafs pointed out.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I think he knows when to pick his battles. I think people want to use this as ammo that he now isn't coachable in London when in reality there are those within Hockey Canada who likely do not want Merkley on the team and there is plenty of talent to choose from that are as good or better than him so the Hunter bros, are playing the political game as 93Leafs pointed out.
I mean there are politics involved in a lot of decisions....but they still chose not to fight for him. If anyone thinks that if the Hunters stood up and said we are taking Merkley to the camp that he wouldn't be going to the camp they are delusional.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
I mean there are politics involved in a lot of decisions....but they still chose not to fight for him. If anyone thinks that if the Hunters stood up and said we are taking Merkley to the camp that he wouldn't be going to the camp they are delusional.

Are you insinuating that they don't like him or that they have a problem with him as well?

I don't see what you are trying to get at unless you believe Merkley is a better talent than the defensemen invited to camp.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Are you insinuating that they don't like him or that they have a problem with him as well?

I don't see what you are trying to get at unless you believe Merkley is a better talent than the defensemen invited to camp.
No I don't think Merkley deserved to be invited to camp. What I am saying is that if the Hunter's wanted him there then they would have the pull to get him there. Has nothing to do with deserve. There is a long history of coaches pulling along specifically defensemen that they coach onto the team and they either don't deserve to be on the team or just get over played.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad