D Ryan Merkley - Peterborough Petes, OHL (2018, 21st, SJS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
That opinion is really based on Guelph getting better, which they probably won't do in leaps and bounds but I think noticeable improvement will happen. I think Merkley will also improve a bit himself which (without looking too much into it) I think is sorta the norm for CHL dmen who are expected to go high

Wouldn't it make sense that his agent would be telling him to put up points as well? Seems like staying on a leash is something that could hurt his draft stock

ya I'd agree - if the concerns persist but the offense is good, I think top 10/12 is likely. If the concerns fade away and the offense is good, I think top 5 is very possible
Needs to hire one. For whatever reason, he dumped Newport in June. Burnett plays the most defensive hockey in the OHL outside of Stan Butler. So it will be interesting to see where his numbers end up. I expect him to reigned in.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Needs to hire one. For whatever reason, he dumped Newport in June. Burnett plays the most defensive hockey in the OHL outside of Stan Butler. So it will be interesting to see where his numbers end up. I expect him to reigned in.

right, I forgot you mentioned that before. I do think that whoever he hires will be encouraging him to put up points because his stock will be offense-dependent

sort of a weird fit for a defensive systems team to take a free-wheeling offensive defenseman like Merkley, although IIRC Merkley was the no doubt #1OA guy in the OHL draft

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
right, I forgot you mentioned that before. I do think that whoever he hires will be encouraging him to put up points because his stock will be offense-dependent

sort of a weird fit for a defensive systems team to take a free-wheeling offensive defenseman like Merkley, although IIRC Merkley was the no doubt #1OA guy in the OHL draft
It was 50/50 until Bode Wilde declared he was going to the USNTDP. They didn't hire Burnett until this off-season.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
Either way I think he will go high. GM's just don't sleep on kids like this coming out of the OHL. If he was in Europe or maybe even in the states he might go a bit lower. But based on his play over the last few days and his skill level I think someone takes a chance on him in the top 10 for sure.

His skill was always there and it always was among the best in his age group. If he can stop playing an individualistic selfish brand of hockey, and mature considerably I can see him going high as well. As it stands now though with the way he plays I'd be more comfortable with him being a winger and would consider a handful of other dmen over him in the upcoming draft. Hopefully he can change that next season as his talent is quite literally off the charts.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
It was 50/50 until Bode Wilde declared he was going to the USNTDP. They didn't hire Burnett until this off-season.

ah, ok. Still seems weird to marry up a coach whose system doesn't fit the franchise's best assets, but I guess the player personnel turnover is quick in junior

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
His skill was always there and it always was among the best in his age group. If he can stop playing an individualistic selfish brand of hockey, and mature considerably I can see him going high as well. As it stands now though with the way he plays I'd be more comfortable with him being a winger and would consider a handful of other dmen over him in the upcoming draft. Hopefully he can change that next season as his talent is quite literally off the charts.

I think if Makar can go 4th with his defensive deficiencies than Merkley should be able to carve out a top 10 pick with a good year regardless of how he develops defensively. It is a deeper draft than 2017 but there is no doubt going to be a lot of hype surrounding this kid because of how dynamic he is. There will no doubt be a few teams and media guys who will fall in love with his skillset. I would probably go with someone safer in most cases as well but kids with this kind of skillset coming out of Canada often go very high.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I hope other teams pass on this kid and my team takes him.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
I think if Makar can go 4th with his defensive deficiencies than Merkley should be able to carve out a top 10 pick with a good year regardless of how he develops defensively. It is a deeper draft than 2017 but there is no doubt going to be a lot of hype surrounding this kid because of how dynamic he is. There will no doubt be a few teams and media guys who will fall in love with his skillset. I would probably go with someone safer in most cases as well but kids with this kind of skillset coming out of Canada often go very high.

I don't recall anyone explicitly stating that Makar had defensive issues, it was more of an issue that he was so much better than his competition that he was rarely tested. Scouts just didn't have a chance to evaluate him under those circumstances.

Watching Makar at the Summer Showcase, I don't believe he was on the ice for a goal against, despite two games against the USA and one against Sweden. I also don't recall him really giving up many legitimate scoring chances.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I don't recall anyone explicitly stating that Makar had defensive issues, it was more of an issue that he was so much better than his competition that he was rarely tested. Scouts just didn't have a chance to evaluate him under those circumstances.

Watching Makar at the Summer Showcase, I don't believe he was on the ice for a goal against, despite two games against the USA and one against Sweden. I also don't recall him really giving up many legitimate scoring chances.

It may have been the system as well. Brooks basically utilized him as a floater. Many many times he was bailing the zone before his partner even had the puck under full possession. He definitely looks to have the skill to play a more rounded game. We'll see what happens when the actual tournament starts though.

Maybe Merkley has the same sort of thing going on. We've offence first guys round out their game before.

Vide

Mar 2, 2015
Talented player but seems to be a headcase. Think he might be picked later than most people think.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
His play makes me worry quite a bit. You have to wonder if he intentionally tries to be as complicated as possible either to show off or for improvement, but it feels like he doesn't see the forest for the trees - Even during his highlight plays.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
His play makes me worry quite a bit. You have to wonder if he intentionally tries to be as complicated as possible either to show off or for improvement, but it feels like he doesn't see the forest for the trees - Even during his highlight plays.

People like to point to his off-puck play, particularly defensively, as being his big concern. But his play with the puck constantly worries me too. He always overcomplicates things -- every play is a highlight attempt -- and is almost incapable of playing with any structure or not making himself the center of the play. I'm all about dynamic players doing dynamic things and taking shifts over, but Merkley on a shift-to-shift basis can frustrate you with his lack of feel for the play, even in transition. For a pure offensive defenseman, that's maybe more concerning than the defense.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Makar is a better player imo. I've only seen Merkley play at the Hlinka however. I was expecting more from him seeing his O production and early rankings for 2018. I think he is a risky player and he will make lots of mistakes. Maybe he irons some of that out this year without losing the production. I would not want him in the top 10 at this point.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Seeing Sauga got destroyed last game. I'm assuming his defensive game is still lacklustre?

I haven’t seen his last 2 games, but from what I’ve heard he’s been pretty bad in both of them...

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I haven’t seen his last 2 games, but from what I’ve heard he’s been pretty bad in both of them...

It's actually 3 games. He was terrible on Friday vs Niagara. Just lost his man and gave little effort on the gamewinner they gave. Lost the puck being extra casual as the last man back with the goalie pulled for an emptynetter. Granted, ISS is still absolutely insane for somehow having Owen Lalonde in front of him.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Assuming he improves on his offensive totals (55 in 62 last year) but is still putrid defensively, where does he go in the draft? Top 15 or lower? The way I see it, he's a bit better offensively than a guy like Makar last year but Makar has much better defensive instincts making him better overall. Lack of high end offensive D in last year's draft caused him to go 4th, but this draft is riddled with good D (Dahlin, Boqvist come to mind but far more sure bets that play more 2 way). The Ryan Murphy comparisons are looking a lot more prevalent.

Luddowich

May 1, 2013
Sweden
Assuming he improves on his offensive totals (55 in 62 last year) but is still putrid defensively, where does he go in the draft? Top 15 or lower?
Seeing how Anthony DeAngelo got picked at #19 in 2014, he at worst probably goes somewhere similar to DeA or Liljegren.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
It's actually 3 games. He was terrible on Friday vs Niagara. Just lost his man and gave little effort on the gamewinner they gave. Lost the puck being extra casual as the last man back with the goalie pulled for an emptynetter. Granted, ISS is still absolutely insane for somehow having Owen Lalonde in front of him.

Yeah man, I hear you. Very disappointing to me, to be honest.

I’m not even sure the issue is he can’t defend, the issue is he just doesn’t seem to care about playing defense at all at times.

He seemed respectable there when he’s played for Team Canada, so not sure why he just goes rogue like he does in Guelph. Maybe it’s correctable through the “right coach”?

Sucks man, what he can do with the puck on his stick is so special. He’s making hard for me to defend him when he does this shit, lol.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Yeah man, I hear you. Very disappointing to me, to be honest.

I’m not even sure the issue is he can’t defend, the issue is he just doesn’t seem to care about playing defense at all at times.

He seemed respectable there when he’s played for Team Canada, so not sure why he just goes rogue like he does in Guelph. Maybe it’s correctable through the “right coach”?

Sucks man, what he can do with the puck on his stick is so special. He’s making hard for me to defend him when he does this ****, lol.
I think an alarming thing for scouts/executives will be, is that it's his second coach and management team with Guelph. He does have an amazing combo of skating, hands, and vision, but is also a riverboat gambler, which makes when he pulls off some of the stuff he tries look absolutely ridiculous, but also insanely frustrating when he makes the same mistakes (which is then magnified when he does put effort getting back).

I still think he goes top 15, because all it takes is one GM absolutely falling in love with the skill-set and throwing caution to the wind.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
The off-ice issues that have also been mentioned with Merkley won't seem to help his cause either. He'll probably go lower than the scouting media expects but like has been said it only takes one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad